The delicate issue of Bad Taste.

CapeDoc

I (as a doctor) recently punlished this cache. I wanted to have a bit of fun, created a cache that is a little different, and have a cache with a medical twist.

The cache is called Elephant Proctology. It uses the terms anus and rectum in the description. I discussed it at length with our (very sensible) reviewer prior to it being published. He said it passed the test for family friendliness.

Did I go too far? :)

What other caches have you done that stretch the limit of good taste?

I (as a doctor) recently punlished this cache. I wanted to have a bit of fun, created a cache that is a little different, and have a cache with a medical twist.

The cache is called Elephant Proctology. It uses the terms anus and rectum in the description. I discussed it at length with our (very sensible) reviewer prior to it being published. He said it passed the test for family friendliness.

There is another elephant proctology cache just East of Boring Oregon. A simple veterinary procedure

I don't think you went too far. Everyone has a rectum. Of course not everyone has a sense of humor.

With over 1,500 hides and an incredibly juvenile sense of humor/humour, I have more than my fair share of cache titles that might provoke smiles and/or shakes of the head.

The only one that I have had a reviewer question me on is Rubbers. But the reviewer asked the opinions of the wider reviewer family and found that most of the rest of the world (that is, non-U.S.) thought that "rubbers" were erasers -- which is what the cache contained -- so it was published as is.

Others with scatologically-themed titles include:

P.O.O.P. -- each waypoint was either purple/orange or orange/purple

Tightrope To Crap -- the contents of the cache at placement were not of high quality

Another Tightrope To Crap -- see above

Side Hill Intermediate Terrain series -- a couple of caches on the Side Hill trail of intermediate terrain [Check the acronym. The reviewer would not allow me to call them "S.H.I.T.", which was fair enough.]

Hidden Dicks -- the cache was located along Dicks Creek Road

A keyword search on "proctology" reveals three active caches with that name, PC Proctology and one other beside yours. I remember doing one in Florida that was in the rear of a carousel horse, and there's one here in Alabama that's in the scrotum of a huge steel bull statue... and one I found years ago in Tennessee that was in the tail end of a big wooden horse, so yours is certainly not alone and in fact is accepted as a fun way to hide a cache by many who have found them. Oh, and another in TN that is in the butt of a metal statue outside a restaurant... you have to stick your arm all the way up there to get it, in full view of those dining inside!

As to the words, we live in an enlightened age where the names of body parts can be spoken in mixed company! It wasn't that long ago when women had to be 'examined' while fully covered with a sheet and vague euphemisms used to describe their anatomy. Hopefully we're well beyond that! :)

As to the words, we live in an enlightened age where the names of body parts can be spoken in mixed company! It wasn't that long ago when women had to be 'examined' while fully covered with a sheet and vague euphemisms used to describe their anatomy. Hopefully we're well beyond that! :)

Let's try out the non-euphemistic words for parts of the female anatomy and see what the forum moderators think of them. You first. :D

Let's try out the non-euphemistic words for parts of the female anatomy and see what the forum moderators think of them. You first. :D

Not to stray too far afield, but this was pretty well covered in 1998 in reaction to the play The Vagina Monologues (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vagina_Monologues) which garnered much controversy over violence toward women but not much outcry over the anatomical words used as being 'in bad taste'. It was perhaps the first mainstream and publicly acceptable use outside of anatomy class that many words were seen to be acceptable, and I suspect that a cache using them would be accepted unless used in the wrong context.

Earlobe.

Your turn.

Back on topic- very creative. I don't think you went too far.

Edited by Castle Mischief

Pretending that those words don't exist won't mysteriously cause all elephants to have issues eliminating waste. If someone has an issue (and I am not sure that's the case), this one goes into the "too thin skinned" category and whoever has the issue is overly sensitive and should stop being so prude. I mean heck, last time I checked, we all have one.

I was questioned by my local reviewer a couple years ago when I tried to have Shrinky Dinks published. When I explained to him it had to do with art-based toys from the 70's and 80's, that still exist today, he was fine with it... even though he knew one had to wade into frigid waters to grab the cache.

If you wanted to take the word as something bad, I, along with our reviewer, thought it referenced a part of the male anatomy in the swimsuit area. Webster's has 4 different definitions for the word and much to my chagrin, the disparaging version of the word refers to insulting asians. Australian slang for insulting the chinese and vietnamese. Who would have thought??

Good thing that CONTEXT IS EVERYTHING.

Bizarrely, I had my hand up a sphinx's bottom at the weekend. The cache wasn't there.

:)

:D

"Bad taste" can vary from country to country.

We have to be rather careful with the word "fanny" over here. Our reviewers might have to carefully consider the naming of a cache like this one: "Fanny magnet".

However there is a rather nice Virtual cache in the south of england which uses the word in the context of a proper name. You don't get girls called Fanny these days...

"Sweet Fanny Adams."

MrsB

With over 1,500 hides and an incredibly juvenile sense of humor/humour, I have more than my fair share of cache titles that might provoke smiles and/or shakes of the head.

The only one that I have had a reviewer question me on is Rubbers. But the reviewer asked the opinions of the wider reviewer family and found that most of the rest of the world (that is, non-U.S.) thought that "rubbers" were erasers -- which is what the cache contained -- so it was published as is....

Other than the obvious I always thought rubbers were those oversizes rubber shoe things you put over your shoes when it rains.

Let's try out the non-euphemistic words for parts of the female anatomy and see what the forum moderators think of them. You first.

do you mean the proper terms, or the slang terms?

i'm all for calling things what they are, and if we're talking about a thing, not relying on silly euphemisms.

i am reminded of a friend of mine who was called by her son's school on a day when they wished to inform her of his (to their way of thinking) unfortunate use of some language.

"did he use it properly?" was all she wanted to know. they had to admit that he had.

while there's no merit in being crude for its own sake, nor playing to prurient interests, there's no reason we can't have a few laughs.

no matter what the prudish say, fart jokes are universal, as old as life itself, and apparently not confined to humans as a species. while it isn't the height of sophistication in humor, it's certainly not beyond the pale.

Can't believe no one commented on the cache title + thread title. Am I the only one who noticed it.

Elephant Procotlogy: The Delicate Issue of Bad Taste.

Caches that stretch taste to the limit.

Sounds like a great book title Doc. Get to writin' :):D :D :DB)

MORE BAD TASTE: A DOCTOR'S JOKE:

What's the difference between an oral thermometer and rectal thermometer?

The taste!

(apologies) :)

A few years back an active Jacksonville FL hider began a series of veterinary proctology hides using playground and other plastic animals in public places. Here's how the community paid him back. Check out the gallery for a true understanding of the situation.

Ever since my visit there I have searched for something similar in my area without success.

Someday....someday..... :)

Contrary to what some may believe I do have a sense of humor.

No you didn't go to far. Your description of the rectum reminded me a a place where I live.

I was not sure if I would get Lying Sack of Crap published because of the title. :)

Not long ago I was visiting the Lily Pad along with some other visitors and a number of children. Talking with one cacher she realized who I was and turned to her husband and loudly and excitedly proclaimed "It's the Sack of Crap guy!!" They had been trying to solve my puzzle. I quickly looked at Miss Jen to see her reaction as my ears reddened, but I don't think she heard. :lol::D

You didn't go too far CapeDoc! We found, two minutes walk from our house, a cache called "Tree Proctology." The "patient" has a name...and somehow, the logs from us finders have become medical records of a sort. :lol:

Love your sense of humour...it's as nicely warped as ours in dentistry! Maybe the Off Topic section could stand some more jokes from our fields?

edit to add - I see there is a FTF listed and I think those cachers had fun with their log!

Edited by popokiiti
As to the words, we live in an enlightened age where the names of body parts can be spoken in mixed company! It wasn't that long ago when women had to be 'examined' while fully covered with a sheet and vague euphemisms used to describe their anatomy. Hopefully we're well beyond that! :lol:

Let's try out the non-euphemistic words for parts of the female anatomy and see what the forum moderators think of them. You first.

do you mean the proper terms, or the slang terms?

i'm all for calling things what they are, and if we're talking about a thing, not relying on silly euphemisms.

i am reminded of a friend of mine who was called by her son's school on a day when they wished to inform her of his (to their way of thinking) unfortunate use of some language.

"did he use it properly?" was all she wanted to know. they had to admit that he had.

while there's no merit in being crude for its own sake, nor playing to prurient interests, there's no reason we can't have a few laughs.

no matter what the prudish say, fart jokes are universal, as old as life itself, and apparently not confined to humans as a species. while it isn't the height of sophistication in humor, it's certainly not beyond the pale.

teehee...you said fart...hehe

This is my view also.Words are powerless.It takes people to add energy and context to them,positive or

negative.Your EP cache sounds great!!

The cache that is the subject of this post does not bother me, but I have seen a few from time to time that were rather obnoxious. I just simply ignored them though, and since they tended to come from the same hider, I just ignored that person's caches in general. No need to find every cache or ruminate over tacky cache pages. Plus others with a different sense of humor kind of liked them I think.