Another fall, in Spokane

ZeroHecksGiven

I've been lurking on this forum thread since I first learned of this accident and have, several times, typed up my thoughts on this matter and each and every time deleted what I'd thought of posting.

Yellow Alligator in her own inimitable fashion pretty much summed up my feelings on caching and the Dishman Hills. At one point in my "career" I would stop at nothing to find each and every cache in Spokane and that included the Dishman Hills. Did I take risks? You bet! Would I do it again? You bet! As Yellow Alligator noted in her post we've all fallen down, picked ourself up and continued. We've all incurred scrapes and bruises playing this game (some butt slides hurt worse than others don't they YA :lol: ).

I remember this cache quite well as I logged an FTF while gaining some fire district knowledge on shift. Like all the others in the Hills I didn't find it particularly daunting.

My heart goes out to the friends and family of the fallen cacher and also to the cache owner who is one of the finest persons I know.

When a local cacher here was killed in a car accident, we created a forum thread in his memory. All of his friends posted their memories of him.

At the visitation, one cacher brought a printout of the forum thread and each cacher signed his posting.

It made a great memory gift for his family.

We've been following this thread too. We have gotten more safety conscious the last few years, especially after Raynebeau got hurt while bushwacking with us through the Palisades during one trip. Dishman Hills is one of our favorite places to cache in Spokane, it is just beautiful and the hills are so much fun to explore.

Yellow Alligator pretty much said what I wanted to say. Our condolences to the family and friends of Mr Anderson.

Jennifer&Dean from Missoula, MT

I just wanted to extend my heartfelt condolences to any family or friends of the fallen cacher. I also want to say that I feel for the cache owner as well who undoubtedly feels bad. For what its worth, you are not to blame. While this is a rough time for everyone involved, I am sure many people found the cache and the trip probably brought them great joy as well. I hope everyone involved finds their peace.

CLV3 (from Maine and soon to be NC)

My thoughts go out to the family. What a tragedy and a great loss to the entire geocaching community.

I have done many up there is the dishman hills. I have also been geocaching here in the couer d Alene area as I have moved out here. I am still actively searching in spokane as well. Hopefully people will see the need to move some of these as winters coming and I have seen alot lately that will be VERY dangerous when it is slick outside. I am just hoping these people move these to different locations that could be safer. There is one that I know of for sure that is located in couer d alene that is right on the edge of a cliff that could be brought down for the winter and then moved back up in the spring. I have messaged the owner with no repoly as to moving or taking over the cache. I would hate for another geocacher to get hurt.

I've been quietly watching this thread unfold and I want to take a moment to comment on this. Moving a cache for the winter is not the correct thing to do. If a cache is hidden in an area that is not available during certain months it should be disabled. At the time you disable the cache you should include a note explaining the reason for the cache being taken out of service and when you expect to activate it again.

This was a tragic accident and my heart goes out to the Anderson family and the Spokane caching community.

OK, after seeing the posts for the past two days, I guess it’s time to add my 2 cents. I did this cache back in 2004, and though I recall the cliffs on one side, I didn’t see it as anything different than I’d expect in this type of terrain. You see, the Dishman Hills are somewhat unique in Spokane – a “Steptoe” remnant with steep eroded granitic cliffs, beautiful chasms of ferns and wetlands, trails that wind up and down the Ponderosa pine forest and views that are hard to beat. It’s like an oasis in a city that attracts hikers and mountain bikers alike. And, Geocachers too. This was not a cache that made you climb a tree, wade through raging waters, or hang from a cliff – the terrain rating was well suited to the task.

I, like many of our local cachers, were very upset over the news of the fallen geocacher. It hit home to many of us, as we’ve combed these hills and have slipped and fallen, picked ourselves up again, and grabbed that ammo can hidden in the rocks. We’ve no need to blame anyone, point out problems with this hide, or make others feel bad. Yes, there are many things we can learn from this incident, and perhaps most importantly is to remember why we are geocachers in the first place. We are here to enjoy the great outdoors, explore new places, challenge ourselves, make new friends, and be ourselves. But we also know the risks of the game, and that is part of the enjoyment (IMO). If all the steep, dark, scary, challenging caches were forbidden from this game and all we had were urban micros on flat boring terrain, well, I’d be signing away that last log and saying goodbye to GC.

Please respect the Spokane Geocachers who are feeling a great loss, and are trying our best to deal with this incident. We greatly appreciate the posts by those who are supportive of our geocommunity here. As Chumpo said, the details will follow at some point and we really don’t know much more than you do about why or how the accident occurred. And as Lookout Lisa said, the local IE board will be meeting soon to discuss how best we can help the fallen Geocacher’s family and perhaps consider ways to make Geocaching a safer hobby for all in the great Inland Empire.

YA

Perfectly stated Yellow Alligator! This was nobodys fault...just an accident. Geocaching is an outdoor sport, and unfortunately accidents happen. We can learn from it and try to be more careful ourselves. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victim's family and friends, the cache owner, and anyone else impacted by this tragedy!! God bless you all!!

our hearts are full of sorrow for the hobby that brings such joy too so many around us.

You two are the nicest people I've ever met in the caching community. Heck, even our dog got along with yours. Hunting for and finding caches is fun and exciting, but the moments I enjoy most are right after I sign the log. I take a deep breath of fresh air, look around at the beauty of Earth that surrounds me, and feel thankful for the opportunity to do so. People like you help provide that opportunity and it would be a shame if anyone were to miss out on one of those moments because of a tragedy like this. Don't get bogged down in grief. Keep your head up and know that what you do touches the lives of so many people and we are grateful for it.

~~The Mongoose Clan~~

Stuart Anderson Memorial Fund

All donations made through this page will be forwarded to the Spokane Teachers Credit Union Stuart Anderson Memorial Fund: http://www.cache-advance.com/SAMF.asp

We have been in touch with the Anderson family to share our condolences regarding Stuart's tragic accident while geocaching in the Spokane Dishman Hills Natural Area. We know that many more in the geocaching community would like to do so as well.

You can make a direct deposit to the Memorial Fund by coming into any of the Spokane Teachers Credit Union branches and doing a credit or debit card transaction at a teller window.

However, we are a world wide community; so, in partnership with the Inland Empire Geocaching Chapter we are offering an on-line collection place of donation funds for those outside of the Spokane area.

Here is a message from the family of Stuart Anderson to the geocaching community:

While we as a family are trying to cope with this tragedy, it is comforting to know that people who we have never met are sharing in our loss. Even though Stu was quite new to caching he had instantly fallen in love with it. It allowed him to put his love for the outdoors, adventure, and searching for the unknown all into one activity.

I have been told that he and his wife, Kelly, used the handle k123anderson when searching for caches. We have already set up a memorial fund in his honor. It is with Spokane Teachers Credit Union and is the Stuart Anderson Memorial Fund. We will be using donations to help with the costs associated with his memorial service and the expenses that go along with that. We have also started discussing, since he is to be cremated, that where we spread his ashes we would also like to place a plaque in memory of how great a man he is.

On a side note, I am sure that Stu would not want this event to have a negative affect on how any one views geo-caching. There is risk involved in just about everything we do in life, and this was just a tragic accident. We never know how short life can be, so use this as motivation to get out and do what you love as often as you can.

Once again I would like to express my gratitude to you and the geo-caching community.

Kyle Lewis

Son-in-Law

If you decide to make a donation, you will be able to set whatever amount you desire to go to the Memorial Fund.

Edited for formatting

Edited by Lookout Lisa

First off I'd like to offer our most sincere condolences to the family and friends of Stuart Anderson. My heart sank reading about it yesterday. I do however have a question, not to minimize anything about this, I'd like to know if this is the first known death of a cacher while caching? Our thoughts are this, there is nothing you can do that doesn't involve some risk, and with the millions of caches that have been logged, I've not heard of a death involved. Yes, some cachers are harder than others both in difficulity and terrain but if this is the first death, we should all count our blessings. Please be as safe as you can while you're out there.

First off I'd like to offer our most sincere condolences to the family and friends of Stuart Anderson. My heart sank reading about it yesterday. I do however have a question, not to minimize anything about this, I'd like to know if this is the first known death of a cacher while caching? Our thoughts are this, there is nothing you can do that doesn't involve some risk, and with the millions of caches that have been logged, I've not heard of a death involved. Yes, some cachers are harder than others both in difficulity and terrain but if this is the first death, we should all count our blessings. Please be as safe as you can while you're out there.

In 2004 there was a geocaching related death back east. The gentleman slipped and fell as well. Mostly, injuries are the norm, some more than others.

I just wanted to post on this sad story. I am a letterboxer. This incident was posted on our Washington board with a link to the online story.

We, too, are very saddened for this loss. It can happen to any of us while out searching for that box of treasure (for us, it's an image from the rubber stamp).

We all go hiking in the out-of-doors and something like this reminds us that, just because we're doing a fun activity that we love, doesn't mean we are immune from natural disasters and accidents.

Let's all remember to be careful out there and help and support each other in our hobbies.

My prayers are with his family.

KuKu

BTW, can you imagine what he'll be finding in caches in Heaven? Wow!

My condolences as well. Without question the main responsibility for this accident lies with the victim. Anyone engaged in hiking, climbing or similar outdoor activities can suffer such an accident and it is our responsibility to watch where we go and be physically fit and prepared enough for the terrain we are traversing.

That said, I am disappointed at all the posts here suggesting that no one else shares responsibility. Groundspeak has been irresponsible about cache placement and approval from day one and I predicted years ago that it would go out of business after the first big geocaching wrongful death suit, which would land it in bankruptcy. I have reviewed the cache description. Out of respect for the local geocachers who are circling the wagons around the owners, I won't post it here, but if anyone wants to know which cache it is, e-mail me. So far as I can tell the description provides reasonable warnings and I am not suggesting they are in any way to blame. However, as a lawyer (not familiar with Washington law), I would guess that if a suit is brought the owners and the approver, as well as Groundspeak, all have a good chance of being held liable under any number of legal theories (attractive nuisance, insufficient warnings, etc.) Frankly, I'm surprised geocaching has lasted this long. If this death doesn't do it, another one will sooner or later. I have gone for quite a few high terrain caches but I don't hide them for this reason, i.e. in order not to entice anyone to do something that would lead to their death or serious injury. Avoiding legal liability is an issue, too, but obviously not as important as keeping others safe. Just hiding a high terrain cache, with or without proper warnings, is like one 12-year-old daring another to stand on the railroad tracks and not jump off until the train is right there. The kid who accepts the dare is mainly responsible, but so is the darer. All this secretiveness about cache and owner is itself evidence an obvious consciousness of guilt.

My condolences as well. Without question the main responsibility for this accident lies with the victim. Anyone engaged in hiking, climbing or similar outdoor activities can suffer such an accident and it is our responsibility to watch where we go and be physically fit and prepared enough for the terrain we are traversing.

That said, I am disappointed at all the posts here suggesting that no one else shares responsibility. Groundspeak has been irresponsible about cache placement and approval from day one and I predicted years ago that it would go out of business after the first big geocaching wrongful death suit, which would land it in bankruptcy. I have reviewed the cache description. Out of respect for the local geocachers who are circling the wagons around the owners, I won't post it here, but if anyone wants to know which cache it is, e-mail me. So far as I can tell the description provides reasonable warnings and I am not suggesting they are in any way to blame. However, as a lawyer (not familiar with Washington law), I would guess that if a suit is brought the owners and the approver, as well as Groundspeak, all have a good chance of being held liable under any number of legal theories (attractive nuisance, insufficient warnings, etc.) Frankly, I'm surprised geocaching has lasted this long. If this death doesn't do it, another one will sooner or later. I have gone for quite a few high terrain caches but I don't hide them for this reason, i.e. in order not to entice anyone to do something that would lead to their death or serious injury. Avoiding legal liability is an issue, too, but obviously not as important as keeping others safe. Just hiding a high terrain cache, with or without proper warnings, is like one 12-year-old daring another to stand on the railroad tracks and not jump off until the train is right there. The kid who accepts the dare is mainly responsible, but so is the darer. All this secretiveness about cache and owner is itself evidence of an obvious consciousness of guilt.

I hope I have the strength to refrain from expressing my true feeling of lawyers and their contribution in creating a society than removes responsibility from the individual.

First, my thoughts and prayers go to the Anderson family and to all their friends.

On the subject of the so call lawyer who is an ambulance chaser by their words, should look deep within themself. Anyone anywhere can step out of their car, off a bus or even getting out of a chair and something could happen.

It must be the fault of the Car Manufacturer, no it's the Manufacturer of the bus or even the maker of the home to which the chair was placed. Have a CONCEPT, each is responible for his/her actions not someone else.

In my career, I took my faults and responsiblity for my falls and when it was a Mountaineering accident. Yes, I've had three extreme falls still I keep going.

I've lost numerous friends due to climbing accidents. Do I blame myself for not being there on that climb or blame the original climber who put the route in?

We are not forced in to any action other than the action we choose. If you do not want to do a cache. Where is it written that everyone has to go for this cache or that.

YOU... yourself makes the decision as to go or not.

Again, my thoughts and prayers go to the Anderson family and to all their friends everywhere. May you find Peace in your heart.

uslegal.com: "Attractive nuisance is a defense to trespass by children used in tort law. The doctrine of attractive nuisance is premised on the belief that one who maintains a dangerous condition which is likely to attract children on their property is under a duty to post a warning or take affirmative action to protect children from the dangers of that attraction. It imposes a duty to be sensitive to potentially danderous conditions which are likely to attract children. The attractive nuisance doctrine typically doesn't apply to adults. However, if a child is in danger due to an attractive nuisance and an adult attempts to rescue the child, the attractive nuisance doctrine may hold the landowner responsible for the rescuer's injuries in addition to the child's injuries." http://definitions.uslegal.com/a/attractive-nuisance/

I hope I have the strength to refrain from expressing my true feeling of lawyers and their contribution in creating a society than removes responsibility from the individual.

What runhills said, plus:

The Rat: nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head to find a geocache:

and

Awesome videos! This is the kind of stuff I wanna do, thanks for sharing those

That said, I am disappointed at all the posts here suggesting that no one else shares responsibility. Groundspeak has been irresponsible about cache placement and approval from day one and I predicted years ago that it would go out of business after the first big geocaching wrongful death suit, which would land it in bankruptcy. I have reviewed the cache description. Out of respect for the local geocachers who are circling the wagons around the owners, I won't post it here, but if anyone wants to know which cache it is, e-mail me. So far as I can tell the description provides reasonable warnings and I am not suggesting they are in any way to blame. However, as a lawyer (not familiar with Washington law), I would guess that if a suit is brought the owners and the approver, as well as Groundspeak, all have a good chance of being held liable under any number of legal theories (attractive nuisance, insufficient warnings, etc.) Frankly, I'm surprised geocaching has lasted this long. If this death doesn't do it, another one will sooner or later. I have gone for quite a few high terrain caches but I don't hide them for this reason, i.e. in order not to entice anyone to do something that would lead to their death or serious injury. Avoiding legal liability is an issue, too, but obviously not as important as keeping others safe. Just hiding a high terrain cache, with or without proper warnings, is like one 12-year-old daring another to stand on the railroad tracks and not jump off until the train is right there. The kid who accepts the dare is mainly responsible, but so is the darer. All this secretiveness about cache and owner is itself evidence of an obvious consciousness of guilt.

Groundspeak is just a listing service, that's their out. You, as a finder, have sole responsibility to determine if the cache is illegal or dangerous. As long as they remain just a listing service and don't make any judgments on a particular cache's suitability or legality, they are absolved of any responsibility for what happens to someone who uses their service. If, however, they were to approve some geocaches and not approve others, based on some seemingly arbitrary rules about its fitness or lawfulness, then they would bear full responsibility to ensure the difficulty and terrain ratings are accurately stated and the caches are in full compliance with any applicable law. That's why they approve all the caches submitted; to do otherwise would require so much work none would ever get published.

:)

Edited by Criminal

I would also like express my condolences to the Anderson family and to all their friends. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Also, I have been watching this thread and was wondering when a lawyer would jump in. What The Rat posted is a perfect example of why we need tort reform in this country.

Edited by dshifter

I first heard about the accident this weekend while setting up fireworks in CDA. Another pyro in my group is also a geocacher, but not as "hardcore" as I am (his words, even though I've slowed down over the past year). So when we were talking about some really cool geocaches in the area, my boss chimed in and said that somebody fell geocaching. But no other info.

As a Spokane/CDA geocacher, I don't recognize the name, real or sn, but my condolances to the family.

Edited by gustav129