New cache publications/ notifications

firstclass45

For us in Puerto Rico, the 50 mile limit is somewhat of a problem. Can it be raised to 100 mile?

If not, is there a limit on notifications as the one in PQs?

I already had 6 notifications set (98 mile radius) before the 50 mile limit. Those are: new traditional, new mystery, new multi, trad archived, mystery archived, multi archived.

Since the PR main island is about 100x35, the 98 mile radius allowed to cover the whole island and adjacent islands (that belong to PR) like Mona, Vieques and Culebra; by centering the coordinates in a strategic place.

Creating a larger radius, included caches from the US Virgin Islands or the Dominican Republic, something NOT needed for Geocachers in PR.

With the change in limit, many geocachers are not getting notified of new caches. The particularity of PR is that we can easily drive to any part of the island in 2-3 hours (or less), so losing that convenience has been somewhat that many geocachers here miss. Many enjoyed getting notified of any caches in the whole PR jurisdiction, and making a weekend plan to visit most of those new places.

Guess we have to start all over setting the notifications again. :(

Edited by ShotgunPR

This is slightly different than the others - but still on the topic of new cache notifications.

I got a notification yesterday that there was a new cache in my area - since then I have been trying to see it on the website - but I keep getting a message that it is not published yet - however - this is from the email

mtn-man published CCS9: Ocean view trackables hotel (Traditional Cache) at 1/23/2010

Can someone explain why I cannot see it on the website - and if I can't - when can I? and why did I get notified it is published?

Thank you

Ladybearbc

Perhaps it was retracted after it was published. It's advisable to set up a notification for "Retract Listing" in addition to your notification for "Publish Listing".

Oh! Didn't know I could - thank you - will look into it right now.

Have tried to find out how I can get 'retraction' notifications - but don't see any way to do that on my profile page. Any hints?

Thank you

This is slightly different than the others - but still on the topic of new cache notifications.

I got a notification yesterday that there was a new cache in my area - since then I have been trying to see it on the website - but I keep getting a message that it is not published yet - however - this is from the email

mtn-man published CCS9: Ocean view trackables hotel (Traditional Cache) at 1/23/2010

Can someone explain why I cannot see it on the website - and if I can't - when can I? and why did I get notified it is published?

Thank you

Ladybearbc

Sometimes the reviewer either hits the wron button or doesn't hit all the buttons.

Email the reviewer and nudge him a little.

Perhaps it was retracted after it was published. It's advisable to set up a notification for "Retract Listing" in addition to your notification for "Publish Listing".

Oh! Didn't know I could - thank you - will look into it right now.

Have tried to find out how I can get 'retraction' notifications - but don't see any way to do that on my profile page. Any hints?

Thank you

It's in the same place where you set up your "Publish" notification.

http://www.geocaching.com/notify/default.aspx

Setup up a new notification the same as the "Publish" notification except select "Retract Listing" instead of "Publish Listing".

Thank you

Ladybearbc

Sometimes the reviewer either hits the wron button or doesn't hit all the buttons.

Email the reviewer and nudge him a little.

Unless you are the cache owner, please do NOT email the local reviewer when you cannot find a recently published cache on the website. It creates extra work. I have a form letter I send out when I get these inquiries following a cache retraction. The letter explains how to set up an instant notification for "retracted" logs. :(

Unless you are the cache owner, please do NOT email the local reviewer when you cannot find a recently published cache on the website. It creates extra work. I have a form letter I send out when I get these inquiries following a cache retraction. The letter explains how to set up an instant notification for "retracted" logs. :)

Sorry - didn't get this before I had sent the publisher an email- I was just asking why I couldn't see it

In any event - they didn't answer - so thank you for the info