Geocoinfest 2010 - Twin Cities

GCF2010

Geocoinfest 2010 – Twin Cities News

We have moved the date. We did not want to have anyone in the coin community miss the opportunity of hosting or attending a local 10-10-10 event. The new date is Sunday, September 19, 2010.

The Geocoinfest 2010 – Twin Cities Cache page should be published soon.

The event hotel is now accepting reservations. Please check out this page Hotel for details on making a reservation at the event hotel.

The planning for Geocoinfest 2010 is continuing! We have lots of fun, trading, caching, and camaraderie in the planning stage. We will be keeping everyone up to date on the Geocoinfest2010 website as the plans are finalized. Registration is planned to be open in January.

Hope to see everyone in September!

Edited by GCF2010

Drat...looks like we still will not be able to go. That date is too close to the beginning of the school year for my boss to let me have a day off for a long weekend. Plus, there is no way we could attend the event on Sunday and then drive 14 hours to return home on the same day. Hmmm, maybe I should start playing the lottery so we can afford to fly to the event.

Ok, looks do-able - (thank you so much for changing the date!!) - but $89.00 + tax a night, not so much. Will you be networking with other hotels to get special pricing or just that one?

CF30

In our search for a hotel that is able to handle the mass group of wild coiners, we had talked with and visited with lots of other hotels in the area. We picked this hotel as it best suits the needs for the event at the most reasonable rate then negotiated for the best rate. $89 is a reasonable rate for the hotel. The rate includes full hot breakfasts buffet for up to 2 guests per room, free parking and lots of other amenities.

To utilize the facilities of the hotel, we had to guarantee a number of rooms. If we do not meet this number, the committee will be paying for those rooms. This is normal for an event such as this, and makes renting the ballroom affordable. We will not be networking with other hotels, unless the hotel sells out.

This event will be FREE to attend. I hope that no one is naive enough to think that it really cost nothing to put on.

Staying at the event hotel will keep you close to the action. I hope that we will see you in September.

I can't really compare because I live in Canada but that hotel rate seems reasonable to me. Especially with free parking -- typically at hotels up here, you can drive right up to the door, unload your car and then go park it. Here, in a large city, it is not unusual to pay $10-15 extra per night for parking. And breakfasts included too is pretty good - there's another $10 saved per night.

Maybe a 16 hour drive isn't too bad....

What is the exact address of this hotel, please? I've scoured the GCF web site and the hotel website and there is absolutely no mention of an address. I'm trying to locate it in Streets & Trips and I think I may have found it but... Is it about 1/2 mile east of the north east corner of the Mall and about 1/4 mile south of the south east corner of the airport - 3 Appletree Sq?

CF30

What is the exact address of this hotel, please? I've scoured the GCF web site and the hotel website and there is absolutely no mention of an address. I'm trying to locate it in Streets & Trips and I think I may have found it but... Is it about 1/2 mile east of the north east corner of the Mall and about 1/4 mile south of the south east corner of the airport - 3 Appletree Sq?

CF30

You are correct on the address, Three Appletree Square / I-494 & 34th Avenue ( Exit 1 ) • Bloomington, Minnesota 55425. It is hard to find on the Hotel web page, it's on the bottom of location/direction page. I will add it to the GCF site tonight.

Drat...looks like we still will not be able to go. That date is too close to the beginning of the school year for my boss to let me have a day off for a long weekend. Plus, there is no way we could attend the event on Sunday and then drive 14 hours to return home on the same day. Hmmm, maybe I should start playing the lottery so we can afford to fly to the event.

Haha, or you could start playing the lottery in the hopes that you could afford to quit working...then the boss will have no say in the matter...Bring the boss along!!

How far is the hotel from the airport? Thinking of flying out for a little adventure and not really interested in renting a car as that would put me over the edge. Thinking of an all mass transit kinda vacation.

The hotel is very close to the airport. The hotel has a complimentary 24 hour van service to and from the MSP airport. There are kiosks at the airport to call for the hotel van, there are a couple of Holiday Inns that service the airport, make sure you call the correct one. Unless you want a tour of the city.

The hotel also has complimentary van to and from the Mall of America. There is a light rail station across the street from the hotel, which will take you to downtown Minneapolis or the Mall of America.

The bonfire Friday night may be outside the vans range, but you may be able to find a ride with someone.

I'm going to try real hard to get to this :) Being that it's a ways off, just not sure in what capacity I'll be arriving.

I know this is going to sound bad but hey, I've been a football junkie since I was little, so I have to be honest :) If the Vikes play that Sunday, I'll be watching the game in person lol. However, I would be there for the Meet and Greet and hppefully the bonfire.

If the Vikes are away, then I'll be there for the main event :) If I drive, I'll vendor but if I have to fly, I'll probably just be an attendee. Lots in the air right now but either way I'm excited to come back to my old stompin' grounds.

I'll also do what I do every year and help support you all be minting some special version of a coin and doing some auctions/donations to help you fund your event.

Hope there is a good turn out to this :D

tsun

The link is now fixed for the hotel. I'm glad we will not be trading coins by ourselves in September.

Do we know what days the Hotel Discount is good for...there was a little confusion this year about the nights the discount would be honored.

Currently the discount is setup just for the weekend (Friday – Monday) if you go online or use the phone numbers. They will extend the rate for the week before and after, but you will need to contact a specific person to receive the rate for those dates. Let me know if you need this information and I will forward it to you.

How far is the hotel from the airport? Thinking of flying out for a little adventure and not really interested in renting a car as that would put me over the edge. Thinking of an all mass transit kinda vacation.

The hotel is very close to the airport. The hotel has a complimentary 24 hour van service to and from the MSP airport. There are kiosks at the airport to call for the hotel van, there are a couple of Holiday Inns that service the airport, make sure you call the correct one. Unless you want a tour of the city.

The hotel also has complimentary van to and from the Mall of America. There is a light rail station across the street from the hotel, which will take you to downtown Minneapolis or the Mall of America.

The bonfire Friday night may be outside the vans range, but you may be able to find a ride with someone.

Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread as well as the site and see what I can do to make it out there. Goal is to spend a day caching, just not sure how feasible it'll be without a car though. May try and fly the bike out there. Lots of options and lots of time to plan, can't wait!

Ok, looks do-able - (thank you so much for changing the date!!) - but $89.00 + tax a night, not so much. Will you be networking with other hotels to get special pricing or just that one?

CF30

You are kidding right? The cheapest in Seattle WITH a discount is $99 --- NYC is $330 a night... so $89 seems like a steal to me! :)

We just stayed at this hotel a few months ago. What a coincidence.

TMA

How was your room and the hotel in general? Is it updated? Was your room as nice as the one in the picture? How was the food? I'm just leery because the last time I stayed in a "remodeled" Holiday Inn, it was a disaster!

You are kidding right? The cheapest in Seattle WITH a discount is $99 --- NYC is $330 a night... so $89 seems like a steal to me! :D

*sigh* I know... but I'm more at the Econo Lodge level as far as hotels go. I just spent $69 a night at a Super 8 in Radcliff, KY (near Fort Knox Military Reserve) and felt the pinch in the wallet. I'm either going to have to make it a very short weekend or sell off a lot more of those coins I have for sale...

And we may have to bring the dog. She got depressed while we were gone this weekend. Wouldn't eat anything until we got back. And we were only gone for 2 1/2 days. Not good... :)

CF30

And we may have to bring the dog. She got depressed while we were gone this weekend. Wouldn't eat anything until we got back. And we were only gone for 2 1/2 days. Not good... :)

CF30

Don't feel too bad, my border collie does the same thing. Trust me, after about day 3, they get hungry and they do eat B) I just get the silent treatment for a day or so from her when I come home :D

Haha, or you could start playing the lottery in the hopes that you could afford to quit working...then the boss will have no say in the matter...Bring the boss along!!

I guess that would work...since it is my mom that we're talking about (yup, I work with my mom). I would not mind traveling with her.

TMA

How was your room and the hotel in general? Is it updated? Was your room as nice as the one in the picture? How was the food? I'm just leery because the last time I stayed in a "remodeled" Holiday Inn, it was a disaster!

Well, that night was the end of the first day on a 3500 mile road trip, so the room itself was a small portion of what was on my mind :) But if I do remember correctly, the hotel was nice. It is a bigger hotel, with lots of space and conf. rooms. The picture of the room on the website looks quite familiar, so I'd say we stayed in one of those rooms. It was fairly updated, yes. We ate at the Mall, so no food at the hotel, sorry. The only thing that stuck in my mind was thinking "drop the luggage at the front desk next time, goofball". Parking is a good hike, with stairs included if you do it wrong, to the room. But its free :D

CF30

Don't feel too bad, my border collie does the same thing. Trust me, after about day 3, they get hungry and they do eat B) I just get the silent treatment for a day or so from her when I come home :D

You should fell lucky! When I get back from a trip my bird plays all "I missed you so much and need your attention", and then WHAM! The beak is dug into my nose, finger or whatever she can get a hold off. And I have seen her open a Brazil nut with that beak. She is trying to teach me not to go away.

Edited by NOSNOW

TMA

Well, that night was the end of the first day on a 3500 mile road trip, so the room itself was a small portion of what was on my mind :) But if I do remember correctly, the hotel was nice. It is a bigger hotel, with lots of space and conf. rooms. The picture of the room on the website looks quite familiar, so I'd say we stayed in one of those rooms. It was fairly updated, yes. We ate at the Mall, so no food at the hotel, sorry. The only thing that stuck in my mind was thinking "drop the luggage at the front desk next time, goofball". Parking is a good hike, with stairs included if you do it wrong, to the room. But its free :D

I remember the bar was nice and I had a good martini B)

And looking at the pictures, I think we had that exact type of room.

Edited by -Eleanor-

Oh man...you guys have no idea how tempting this is for me...

I lived in Bloomington for 3 years in the mid-80s. I have not been back since for a visit. I would LOVE to go but the timing may interfere with an anniversary trip my husband and I have planned to celebrate our 20th year of marriage.

How am I ever going to make this work? After 20 years my hubby is quite used to my sniveling attempts to get what I want. :)

Like I do every year for Geocoinfest, I'd like to throw up a special auction to help the GCF committee raise some funds for their event. Below is the auction link on ebay.

This will be your ONLY chance to own this coin as it's not an available version to anyone other than the 2009 GCF tsun volunteers from GCF 2009. (which will be mailed to my special helpers next week).

I hope you'll consider going to GCF in Minnesota this year :laughing:

Thanks in advance for bidding! The coin is trackable and you won't be sending me any $$$, it should go right to GCF2010 (if someone from the committee could email the GCF2010 paypal addy, that would be helpful).

tsun

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280465113451

Edited by tsunrisebey

Like I do every year for Geocoinfest, I'd like to throw up a special auction to help the GCF committee raise some funds for their event. Below is the auction link on ebay.

This will be your ONLY chance to own this coin as it's not an available version to anyone other than the 2009 GCF tsun volunteers from GCF 2009. (which will be mailed to my special helpers next week).

I hope you'll consider going to GCF in Minnesota this year :laughing:

Thanks in advance for bidding! The coin is trackable and you won't be sending me any $$$, it should go right to GCF2010 (if someone from the committee could email the GCF2010 paypal addy, that would be helpful).

tsun

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280465113451

Got my bid in!