Good cheap containers

woody45

I can't find a link for it but wal mart in the sporting goods camping section has stick match holders (orange which i paint to the color of my choice) which have a rubber "O" ring in the lid and stand up very well to the elements is about 1-1/2" long by about 3/4" wide and i've held it under water and does not leak ...... they go for about $1.00 apiece and work really well..... good for log and pencil only....

Joe

Edited by wrkn2mch

Go to goodwill (or any other thrift store) and you can take you pick of all shapes and sizes of great containers. This has the added benefit of finding some very unique items. From heavy ceramic coffee containers, large thermoses, pill holders, even ammo cans...I have found most of my containers this way.

Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart etc all develop photos. Go ask for some film canisters. They just throw them away.

He asked for good containers. Film canisters are not good containers. I rarely find one that is dry inside.

Lock n Locks are good and as mentioned above, inexpensive when bought in the box set. Sometimes they go on sale in the supermarket too.

I've had good results with Nalgene Straight Jars.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80904

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80920

Bottle preforms also make excellent micro containers. At $18.95 for 30 they are cheap.

http://www.teachersource.com/Chemistry/Pre...dCaps_30pk.aspx

What are some good cheap containers for geocaching. Please leave a link :)

This is an oxymoron (highlighted).

A little flippant, yes? Truly though, keep in mind that "you get what you pay for". One is far better off, generally, to pay a bit more for something that is truly good rather than to pay a bit less for a "copy" of something that is good. There is always a reason that something is cheap. :)

in any wal-mart go check in the tool aisle, look for the screwdrivers and wrenches and such, they usually keep them in these nice tough plastic tubs of different sizes, when the product in the tubs empty out they just throw out the tubs, ask someone if you can have them, i use to work at walmart and got those tubs all the timethey have lids that snap on as well

in any wal-mart go check in the tool aisle, look for the screwdrivers and wrenches and such, they usually keep them in these nice tough plastic tubs of different sizes, when the product in the tubs empty out they just throw out the tubs, ask someone if you can have them, i use to work at walmart and got those tubs all the timethey have lids that snap on as well

I've seen these and really can't imagine them being waterproof.

Keep your beady eyes on Wal-Mart....it seems that once a year, they have a really good sale on Lock'n'Locks. We got a bunch last year...and I have to admit to stealing two from our stash - one for lunches and the other for catnip!

Unfortunately it seems that Wal Mart no longer carries Lock n Locks. They were my go to place for the containers. They sold some good sized ones for $2.50 each. Now they carry Rubbermaid and Sterlite locking containers. I just bought a few to try but after taking a close look at them I'm not confident they will work nearly as well

Keep your beady eyes on Wal-Mart....it seems that once a year, they have a really good sale on Lock'n'Locks. We got a bunch last year...and I have to admit to stealing two from our stash - one for lunches and the other for catnip!

Unfortunately it seems that Wal Mart no longer carries Lock n Locks. They were my go to place for the containers. They sold some good sized ones for $2.50 each. Now they carry Rubbermaid and Sterlite locking containers. I just bought a few to try but after taking a close look at them I'm not confident they will work nearly as well

Let me put your mind at ease on this subject. They wont.

Well I spent last night painting them. They should be fairly protected in their hiding places so I'm hoping for the best.

Goodwill stores in Minnesota sell loads of containers as listed before. Some helpful info on sales i will just add

Sunday and Monday 50% one color tag (which changes each week)

Tuesday $1-49 day !! The same color tag as Sun & Mon is now $1.49

Wednesday - Seniors get 25% off purchases (55yrs and over)

plastic tubs and small tins start at 99 cents upto about $4.99 so just shop on sale days!!

Link to website with store location and open hours: Goodwill East Seals Minnesota

You'll always find a good deal on something on these days!

Happy hunting!!

You can do a search in these forums for the same topic.

THe short answer is, in all the discussions people say dont waste your time with cheap containers. You willl just be out doing maintenance replacements on them all the time, and replacing logs, and cleaning out moldy contents.

It seems to usually come out that different areas have different challenges in the environment.

Such as where I live we have to deal with a lot of rain.

In the southwest however, heat and UV's are more of an issue.

Ammo cans are always voted best

Lock and Lock containers are good in many areas.

waterproof match containers are good.

nagene bottles seem to work well and are often overlooked because of price. But with finding cancer causing chemicals in the plastic, many people are abandoning their old bottles in the thrift stores. Perfect for geocaching.

H Mart is good for cheap loc and locks . awesome selection.

an asian grocery store around the US. It's website is not in english though, so no help there.

I like the idea of the big cashew containers you get at costco.

THey aren't cheap, they are around ten bucks each, but you get a ton of free cashews with the container!!!

(be careful of using containers that have food smells. be sure they don't smell first or they will attract animals)

I'm going to buck the trend and say that the Farberware lock-n-lock look-alikes have worked fine for me. Of course like the Lock-n-Lock's, I can't find them anywhere any more either.

Heres the thing with most of the other containers most people still cover them with camo tape or paint so by the time you buy the container and then buy the tape that most use you could have an ammo can for the same or only a dollar or two more. Also while I haven't found hundreds of caches I know some that have and they all have found what I have. Ammo cans are the only containers that without fail so far have had dry contents. I just put 3 30 cal ammo can caches together for 15 bucks including paint costs and tax and have enough paint for several more. Unless size is an issue I plan on using ammo cans exclusively less maintenance more happy cachers. By the time I buy a replacement container or drive out to replace a wet log I have already invested more into the cache than just canning it in the first place in my opinion.