Second Unlock Key

GrateBear

I know Garmin took away the second unlock function for maps, but I thought it was just for a second GPS unit. Earlier this week, I turned the laptop I was using for MapSource into a doorstop (trying to install Ubuntu--big mistake), so installed MapSource on my new laptop and then tried to install my latest City Navigator maps. But, I got a message saying 'Product key has already been consumed".

I'm contemplating calling Garmin to see if there is a way I can still use the latest CN. Has anyone ever had this problem and gotten it resolved?

I recently went through this with Garmin when I wanted to put MapSource on my netbook, and it's quite all right with them for you to use your maps on more than one computer. But your problem is, you don't do that with a new unlock code. What you need to do is use the original unlock code from when you did the original installation. This will be a 25-character code arranged in 5 character groups with hyphens between 'em which looks a lot like a UPS tracking code.

If you already have your maps working on another computer then that code can be found by opening MapSource and clicking Utilities > Manage Map Products > Unlock Regions. Then click on the mapset you want the code for which should highlite it and click the Properties button. That should open another dialog box which has the unlock code for that mapset in it.

Write it down and keep it in a safe place for the next time this happens. B)

Of course you can't do that if you no longer have access to an unlocked install, but Garmin Tech Support will be glad to supply the code if you can supply the unit ID for the GPSr that it's linked to and they'll also explain how to unlock the maps on the new computer. I don't remember exactly how that went and I can't duplicate it on my own computer because the maps are already unlocked, but I recall that the process went something like how you retrieve the code but there was another step which wasn't all that intuitive.

Pete

Edited by Curioddity

Just to make it clear - did you enter the key that came with the software?

Could be a recent "feature". I have CN NT v7 and have installed it at work and two computers at home.

Yep, put in the serial number for the unit and then the key for the software.

Not the unit's serial #. Like Curioddity says, the software's unlock code that usually comes printed on a yellow 3 by 5'ish sheet.

I just logged into MyGarmin, a feature on the Garmin website where you register your GPS's. The MyMaps tab lists the unlock codes for the units that have maps. I honestly don't recall if I provided the unlock code when I registered my GPS's, or if the website read the codes from my GPS. I really doubt I provided the codes myself. Give it a shot and see what happens. This is a free feature, and I don't see anything negative about it - unless you have a stolen GPS. :)

Not the unit's serial #. Like Curioddity says, the software's unlock code that usually comes printed on a yellow 3 by 5'ish sheet.

Actually, the software install and map unlock codes are different things. The software install code is on the "yellow 3 by 5'ish sheet" but the map unlock code is generated by Garmin when you do the original install and link the maps to a device. The code isn't even generated until Garmin knows the unit ID and serial number of a specific GPSr and the software install code of a specific copy of the software. Then the software and maps will only work with that one GPSr, however the software will work on several computers.

Pete

I'm also having a problem with Garmin about why you can only load the detailed maps that cost $100 onto only one GPS unit. I just purchased a new GPS 60csx and tried to upload the City Navigator NT North America 2009 maps that I had purchased last year to it. I have already loaded them on my c530 car GPS. Now Garmin tells me that I'll have to buy a new disc (another $100) if I want to upload the maps that I already own to my new Garmin GPS. What a rip off !!! Does anyone know a way to work around this. I definitely don't plan on giving them another $100 for something I already bought from them.

Thanks....YukonMike

First of all your request will be removed by a moderator shortly. You cannot ask for help here to violate the copyright laws. That is Garmin's policy. Each purchase is good for one machine only.

It has been that way for many years.

Now if you ask about free alternate maps you will get several responses pointing you to locations you can go.

So this is the weird thing that happened to me:

When I got a new GPSr, I was 100% aware that Garmin software is only to be used on a single gps unit. I figured that I would need to buy a new copy of CN but I figured I should try and put it on my new GPSr just to see what happens. Well, it didn't like it...telling me that the code was already in use...which I expected. I called Garmin to see if there was anyway around this issue. I legally bought a new GPS and wanted to take the SD card OUT of my old unit and use it in my new one. I wasn't trying to do anything other then use ONE version of CN on ONE GPSr. They said it was a no go.

I cached for awhile without CN then needed to reinstall CN maps on my computer several weeks later. My GPS was attached at the time and started communicating with the garmin software...then...started loading the CN maps on my new GPSr. I simply shrugged and let it be.

In my mind I'm not violating any EULA...It just started working...one unit...one computer...one version of software.

There are three things to note here.

1. Walts Hunting - There was nothing in Yukon Mike's note that should cause it to be removed. It's a legitimate beef and how will you know if there are legitimate alternatives without asking?

(2. and 3. Many of Garmin's customer support people don't know up from down. It doesn't say much for Garmin's Customer Support training program. Their knowledge is all over the map, from exceptional to abysmal ... lately more of the latter than the former. My strategy is to just keep phoning them until I get someone who actually knows what they're talking about and actually wants to help me.)

2. Yukon Mike - Re: getting another copy of City Navigator for the second unit ... that's just nonsense. Just go into Mapsource and under the Utilities menu select Manage Map Products. Using the Manage Map Products item you can go online and purchase an unlock code for the new unit so you can use the existing maps with it. Or you can do the same thing through your MyGarmin account online if you have one set up. Either way works fine. You will need the serial number for your new unit and your credit card. It will still cost you money but it's cheaper than buying another - unnecessary - copy of City Navigator.

Or, if you don't want to pay any more money, you can do as Walts Hunting suggested and ask about the availability of free maps for use on the new unit. There are lots out there that are quite legitimate. I'm not sure they are the equal of Garmin's products but, hey, you get what you pay for. :lol: ....mmmm.... actually, come to think of it, Ibycus's free topo maps are excellent. As good as Garmin's topo product in Canada. Can't speak for anywhere else.

3. delphic - Re: the SD card ... you can use it in as many different units as you want. That's half the point of buying one. The maps are locked to the card itself so you can put it into any Garmin unit that will accept an SD card.

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina

I'm pretty sure there's still some confusion here. My understanding is that it depends on how you purchase the maps.

If you purchase on an SD card or via download, you can move the card from one unit to another at will. But the maps cannot be used on the computer at all.

If you purchase the maps on CD/DVD, you can use the maps on the computer (possibly multiple computers, not sure). But the maps which you transfer to an SD card are locked to a single unit.

See this link from the Garmin knowledge base:

http://iqc.garmin.com/eCustomer/KODSelfSer...5-000000000000}

I also believe that Garmin has stopped selling additional unlock codes. I believe that you must now purchase the maps again, at the current price. I was unable to find a bald statement to that effect, but see the paragraph "Use With 1 Device Only" here:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=145...requirementsTab

Re: How maps can be used, basically what I just said. Different words, same message. Yours is better worded. Thanks.

I also believe that Garmin has stopped selling additional unlock codes. I believe that you must now purchase the maps again, at the current price. I was unable to find a bald statement to that effect, but see the paragraph "Use With 1 Device Only" here:

No need to speculate. All you have to do is follow the suggestion I made in my previous post.

Log in to your MyGarmin account. Go the the My Maps page. When your registered devices and maps have loaded, click on "Details" by any of your map products.

In the righthand column you will see a list of all your registered map products. The second link under each of them reads "Unlock additional GARMIN unit".

If you click on that link you will be taken through the process to purchase an unlock code for the additional Garmin device. As I said, you will need the serial number of the additional unit and your credit card.

When in doubt I always believe what I can actually do. That's why I posted the two options for getting an unlock code. You can actually do what I posted. Or you can keep phoning Garmin customer support until you find someone who knows what they're doing.

HINT: when you call Garmin customer support don't ask IF you can get an unlock code for the additional device. Tell them you WANT to purchase an additional unlock code for a new device. That forces them to look up HOW to do it instead of allowing them to guess that they can't.

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina

1. Walts Hunting - There was nothing in Yukon Mike's note that should cause it to be removed. It's a legitimate beef and how will you know if there are legitimate alternatives without asking?

However, he stated "Now Garmin tells me that I'll have to buy a new disc (another $100) if I want to upload the maps that I already own to my new Garmin GPS. ... Does anyone know a way to work around this."

Asking for work-arounds for copyrighted software is not permitted in these forums.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

However, he stated "Now Garmin tells me that I'll have to buy a new disc (another $100) if I want to upload the maps that I already own to my new Garmin GPS. ... Does anyone know a way to work around this."

Asking for work-arounds for copyrighted software is not permitted in these forums.

I understand the concern but I would say that's pretty quick to jump to judgement without a little more information to support it. People use such phrases in a variety of ways, most of which are quite innocent. I gave the poster two ways to work around it. Does that mean my message will be deleted, too?

...ken...

Garmin had no problem with my request. I sent them an e-mail outlining the problem, and within 24 hours they got back to me with a new unlock key, I just tried it out on my new pc, and it worked like a charm. Map is unlocked and I'm good to go. I'm not concerned about a new GPS unit-- have a Legend Cx and love it. Gets me to the caches with no problems, and I intend to use it until it wears out. The odometer has 23,609 miles on it in 3 years, and my goal is 100,000.

No wonder people really like Garmin--very customer friendly. Tomorrow I have to call them about a free map upgrade that didn't work, and they said to call them and we'd work through it.

Thanks for all the suggestions!