Vista HCX

stigloc

I use my Vista hcx as my backup GPSr unit. I have not use it in quite a while and I thought that when I last used it for geocaching, my waypoint always pointed up. I have it set on map page orientation, track up, but it does not seem to make any difference. It can be North up or track up nothing changes. Am I mistaken, or can I not have the waypoint, ie, geocache always tracking up?

In track-up mode, the map orients in the direction you are moving - don't matter if the waypoint or destination you are tracking is straight ahead or behind you.

If you map is not orienting at all, it's probably because you are in electronic-compass mode and need to calibrate the compass. If not in e-c mode, the map will orient a few feet after you start moving. I'm lazy and cache with the e-c mode off 99% of the time. To toggle between the two modes, press and hold the upper right button (as the GPS faces you) until you get a message indicating the e-c is on or off. This works while in the map or compass screens.