Help me make a tough decision

Barberanne

Could you help me with a few questions?

I want to know how many of us plan a holiday with geocaching in mind.

When you go away from home, do you find out how many caches are in the area you're going to?

Do you look for accommodation close to caches?

Or do you stay with family and hope some new caches have just been published?

Or - do you just leave your GPS at home and have a total relax?

I need to know if there's any interest in this before I throw any more energy at it, so if you could just give me a few ideas on what your holiday needs are, I'd be very grateful.

Barberanne

Edited by Barberanne

I say take GPS and fit caches in around the rest of the holiday. As I say to the family when they accuse me of going out of way to find a cache. It's not my fault there are always caches in interesting places B). I also like to find any local multis gathering info over a few days if necessary.

If a resort could plant some really clever, fun, interesting caches nearby,....cachers would find them.

If someone hides a lousy guardrail or lampost cache in a parking lot, .... cachers still find them.

I make my Holidays around caching. The event is the party, and the drive there is the caching.

Once we attend the event, then we go with a large group to find nearby caches.

Usually we all find a pizza place for dinner....where we can walk from table to table, and talk geocaching.

My holidays tend to be camping events!!!

When I go elsewhere, I cache when I can, but my muggle friend usually walks away in disgust, so it's a case of doing what I can, when I can.

If I was going away somewhere in a resort, or whatever, I'd look at what caches there were there, but I'd not plan my trip around it - I do enough of that for weekends away in the UK.

Once or twice a year I meet up with Little Miss Naughty and we target an area with some good caches in, and book a travelodge. It's not about numbers on those weekends though, it's about seeing my lovely friend Sam.

My holidays tend to be camping events!!!

I know people like that....I won't name names but you know who you are.

Me and smurf would love to go camping events all over but most of the events tend to occur in festival season so our money tend to go into them.

We are thinking of planning a camping event since we live on a campsite/caravan park.

Thanks for the replies.

Just one more question - would you find it helpful to have a website giving you the contact details of a bed and breakfast or self-catering cottage with all the surrounding caches included on that bed and breakfast's page?

Must say, it's good to know that we all take our GPSs with us when we stray away from home!

Barberanne

I always look for what caches are in an area as soon as a holiday is booked and have never been disappointed. We've cached in the USA, Norway, Turkey and Sardinia as well as our holidays at home.

We've found that geocaches take us to some far more interesting places off the regular tourist trails and so would never leave home without GPS in hand.

Thanks for the replies.

Just one more question - would you find it helpful to have a website giving you the contact details of a bed and breakfast or self-catering cottage with all the surrounding caches included on that bed and breakfast's page?

Must say, it's good to know that we all take our GPSs with us when we stray away from home!

Barberanne

This reads more like market research than a normal geocaching thread to me B)

Thanks for the replies.

Barberanne

Profile is an interesting read!

I'd rather find my own place to stay, and then find where the caches are!

Or find where there are plenty of caches in an area I want to visit, then find somewhere to stay.

This reads more like market research than a normal geocaching thread to me :)

As the title of this thread says, I'm facing a tough decision and would like some help.

Geocaching is, by its very nature, a solitary pursuit. I don't often meet other cachers, therefore don't have the opportunity to ask their opinions.

Maybe I should organise a cache bash and hand out a questionnaire - B)

all depends on what you enjoy most.

sounds like you are asking people to decide for you what to do on hols.

If yer on the fence, just cram all the caches you can into your gps and take it with you.

up to you to turn it on or not. if you have enough haha's outside caching, yay, if not, flick it on and have a look around B)

As the title of this thread says, I'm facing a tough decision and would like some help.

Geocaching is, by its very nature, a solitary pursuit. I don't often meet other cachers, therefore don't have the opportunity to ask their opinions.

I don't understand why it's a tough decision - if you want to go caching then go caching - if you would rather do something else then do that!

Do a PQ of the area and load up your GPSr before you go so if necessary you can postpone the decision until you get there.

And I've found geocaching is only a solitary pursuit if you want it to be; at times I go by myself, other times I go in a group, I enjoy both. I've met loads of very good friends through caching.

Going back to your previous question, no I wouldn't use such a website as you describe, I find it more convenient to get my cache listings via a PQ and not individually of a web page.

Rgds, Andy