If you could cache anywhere in the US

fizzymagic

While answering the related topic to this, it struck me that I don't have as good a sense of where the high densities of really lame caches are. There are, of course, two all-time favorites: Jacksonville FL and Nashville TN, but where are other pockets of pestilence?

Don't let your civic pride get in the way; be honest! Where should we avoid?

In my local area, we tend to avoid Modesto, Fresno, Brentwood, and Yuba City, which seem to spawn uncreative hides. But Sacramento has some really good ones as do several smaller towns in the Central Valley. The Bay Area, in general, is pretty good; there are lots of puzzle caches and lots of hiking caches in the hills.

Salt Lake City. The closer we get the easier they become. Even so once in a while that's a nice change. My own neck of the woods can be too freaking hard.

Probably any large, metropolitan city. Not because thousands of acres of concrete automatically equals gobs of lame hides, but more because these are not the types of areas I would enjoy spending my recreational time in. Pollution, traffic, muggles... not my cup of tea.

I woudn't want to go to areas where guard rail and parking lot hides predominate and make searching out the few good ones a chore. I've been to a few of these areas and would not return, at least for geocaching purposes.

This is my outlook to a "T."

While I'm sure there are worse places, I'll avoid places where there is a good chance of stumbling onto illegal marijuana plots.

I have two geocaches on my watchlist that are "smack dab in the middle," of a Marijuana grow area. I'll make the hike after the Marijuana Eradication Team clears the area.

Caching in Detroit is fine as long as you can read the geocaching.com maps.

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx...;zm=12&mt=m

The map isn't displaying just right, but if you move it a bit to the NE you get the idea.

That map represents approximately 70 square miles in one of the largest cities in the world (pop. 1,000,000+). There are 16 caches. Whacha ya think? Fun caching in that area?

Pretty amazing isn't it.

I love that map

Starting at the bottom and moving North, A Whole Bunch of Yellow Smilies -> A River -> A Few Green Boxes -> Hamtramck!

:)

While answering the related topic to this, it struck me that I don't have as good a sense of where the high densities of really lame caches are. There are, of course, two all-time favorites: Jacksonville FL and Nashville TN, but where are other pockets of pestilence?

In my local area, we tend to avoid Modesto, Fresno, Brentwood, and Yuba City, which seem to spawn uncreative hides. But Sacramento has some really good ones as do several smaller towns in the Central Valley. The Bay Area, in general, is pretty good; there are lots of puzzle caches and lots of hiking caches in the hills.

I humbly apologize to the geocaching community and specifically fizzymagic for all the "spawn of junk I created in Fresno" I usually go caching and say thank you that there was a cache to find but now I will reflect on how great caching is in other cities and lament that I could have been a better cache owner here in Fresno. Now that I think about it every city I have cached in has way better quality caches than those here. As I remember every cache in the Bay Area any area for that matter -absolutely no light posts or bushes - are all wonderfully executed. I should learn a lesson from you and will never place a bad cache again I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me for my transgressions. I also apologize to my community for the hurt my caches have caused- I will no longer be placing caches as my punishment - I never had a creative one amongst those that I did place. I shall affix to my lapel a Scarlet "G" so those of you out there will know my identity and keep me from harming the community further. Please others reading this also avoid this area at all costs there is nothing good here, save yourselves, save geocaching!!!!

To further highlight my shame I just requested the "LAME" tag be added to the list of attributes so it will be easier for folks to edit out my lame caches! Wouldn't want to crowd your PQs! Hopefully you aren't getting any of them anyway!

Edited by fresgo

The map isn't displaying just right, but if you move it a bit to the NE you get the idea.

That map represents approximately 70 square miles in one of the largest cities in the world (pop. 1,000,000+). There are 16 caches. Whacha ya think? Fun caching in that area?

Pretty amazing isn't it.

Take a look at this map

The population of that city is about 2.4 million. The one cache you see on the map is the first ever placed in the city (about a month ago) and has not yet been found.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

a 1000 micro power trail?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5a-27c3ce5e9905

I can't imagine (actually it's not hard to imagine) the invective response if the Extraterrestrial Highway was anywhere near Fresno or if a Fresno cacher would have had the balls to place this series! But I promise when I go out to do the ET Power Trail next month I'm going to hold my head down in sorrow due to the distress that 1000 micro caches may put on the elite! Maybe placing 1000 caches 500ft apart over 100 miles in Nevada gets a pass on the forum creativity rule?

I humbly apologize...

(Edit for brevity)

Dude. A little too much caffiene last night? :D

Some caches suck. That's life. They can't all be gems.

If you like finding the sucky ones, more power to you. I respect your tolerance.

If enough people imply that your caches are lame, you have some options:

1 ) Do nothing. Bask in your contempt of those with snooty standards.

2 ) Come to the forums and whine about how poorly you were treated by the mean snooty people.

3 ) Learn from the critique and inject a bit more creativity in your hides.

Take a look at this map

The population of that city is about 2.4 million. The one cache you see on the map is the first ever placed in the city (about a month ago) and has not yet been found.

a vacation cache in a city with no other caches... what is the reviewer thinking?

When the log needs to be changed on that micro do you think the owner will fly down and do it? People won't even drive 200 miles to maintain their vacation caches where I am... can't imagine how this situation works.

North/west philly. (Disclamer, I found ONE cache in west philly for a series I needed... But I went to the good part not the drug dealing, death-every-day part.) Sadly, I can't think of one good area in north philly (Besides temple university (Who the hell builds an expensive college in the middle of the worst part of a city... West philly's university city are the biggest offender of this though...) I would love to find the cache hidden on temples campus, but I fear my car would be robbed before I get to the campus.

I am of the opinion that ANY area has its good and bad caches or caching customs. Moreover, different people define "lame" in different ways. So, I won't answer the question based upon geocaches.

Rather, I would begin by avoiding areas whose geocaching residents are responsible for an inordinate percentage of negative forum posts.

Well shoot I guess I won't be going to Livermore, Ca :P

Scubasonic

Pretty amazing isn't it.

Take a look at this map

WOW !!! looks like a FTF opportunity OK I'm on the next plane. :P

Scubasonic

I remember a European posted a Geocaching.com Google map screen shot of the Detroit area, and asked why there was a "hole" with no caches (basically, it was Detroit proper). Then people posted some other screen shots of Inner cities with cache holes. I thought it was one of the most interesting threads ever.

That would be why North philly has literally ONE cache (Not counting Temple University campus which is the only safe spot in the entire of north philly.) It's the most crime ridden area in the entire city. Oh and you can seethe cache I found in west philly on the left and the cache I found in south philly while going to the phillies game!

ohnowigetit.jpg

Edited by Coldgears

Erie, PA was the most disappointing city we have cached in. After hearing all the hype for a couple of years we went there with high hopes. We expected bunches of fun and unique caches. What we found was one nano on a sign post after the other only broken up by front yard caches.

I've never heard of Erie on the geocaching forums...I didn't know there was hype. In fact, I never heard of Erie, and I live in pennsylvania. Out of curiousity, what are the currently hyped geocache spots?

Erie, PA was the most disappointing city we have cached in. After hearing all the hype for a couple of years we went there with high hopes. We expected bunches of fun and unique caches. What we found was one nano on a sign post after the other only broken up by front yard caches.

I've never heard of Erie on the geocaching forums...I didn't know there was hype. In fact, I never heard of Erie, and I live in pennsylvania. Out of curiousity, what are the currently hyped geocache spots?

Never heard of Erie? And here I always thought there were just the three citoes in PA. Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Erie.

Many of the cachers around here, and on the now defunct NYGO site, talk about the great caching in Erie. I know some who head that way as often as they can. I just don't get why. I suspect there are probably some nice caches there someplace. They just must be "lost in the noise" as someone put it.

Never heard of Erie? And here I always thought there were just the three citoes in PA. Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Erie.

Many of the cachers around here, and on the now defunct NYGO site, talk about the great caching in Erie. I know some who head that way as often as they can. I just don't get why. I suspect there are probably some nice caches there someplace. They just must be "lost in the noise" as someone put it.

Dude, no offense, but it's the 4th largest City in Pennsylvania. And pretty much "tied" for third with Allentown, which has just a couple thousand more people.

Erie did have a reputation for being one of the pioneers of parking lot caching along with Nashville and Jacksonville, and also a very high "cache density", especially being much smaller than those two cities. But that was so 2004. :) I'll bet it's cache density and percentage of "easy" caches has been surpassed in hundreds of cities/suburbs in America (or even Canada) these days.

The Jersey Shore strikes me as the place I'm least likely to visit or go geocaching in the US. Someone once offered me a free weekend in Atlantic City and all I could do was stare in horror at the mere thought of it.

I dont blame ya. :D

However there are plenty of very nice spots on the Jersey Shore such as Cape May, and Long Beach Island.

You should add Tracy, CA to your list!! Didn't find anything there that was different than Fresno!!

After reading your "hurt feelings" posts, my curiosity got the best of me. 401 hides and no favorite votes on any of them. That is an impressive feat.

Edited by M 5

I think Nashville became a forum favorite because it caught on early and the forum has just kind of kept it a favorite by folklore. In the days when 300 caches in a 100 mile circle was a lot, yeah, it had a disproportionate number of urban micros. I can't numerically quantify "lame" but I've cached a lot of other places, too, and it doesn't really seem different. There's some really great stuff in Nashville - take a look at the logs on JoGPS's Geo Mojo series, for example.

Light poles and guard rails are in pretty much every area these days and they're easy enough to avoid.

What Robert said. Nashville is my home town, and I usually return once a year, like the swallows to Capistrano, to see family and friends. I was admittedly horrified the first time I visited as a geocacher and found the area strewn with hundreds of film cans every quarter mile along various roads, many part of the "101 Dalmatians" series (shudder). I really struggled to find interesting caches for a couple years.

But that was 5-6 years ago. Today, those caches are mostly gone, and Nashville is infested with interesting, high-quality caches placed by JoeGPS, Monkeybrad, robertlipe, and other creative cachers. I had a great time caching there this year, in between seeing family and attending GeoWoodstock. The MTGC site also has some good cache recommendations for visitors, several of which I visited.

So, fellow cachers, please remove Nashville from the Geocaching Hall of Shame. It's a great place to visit and cache! :huh: (Removing Tennessee tourism hat. Robert, I'll PM my PayPal address. B) )

I thought it was removed years ago! Didn't someone hold a "micro round up" event there years ago where micros were archived and "rounded up"?

I have never been to this city, but I would say Detroit, Michigan. From all the stories you hear about urban collapse, crime and despair, it has no appeal to me.

I remember a European posted a Geocaching.com Google map screen shot of the Detroit area, and asked why there was a "hole" with no caches (basically, it was Detroit proper). Then people posted some other screen shots of Inner cities with cache holes. I thought it was one of the most interesting threads ever.

Heck no, I won't single out any one area. I do know of one Midwestern State that I would consider to have an extremely high incidence of lame hides all over the State. No names, of course. :)

Pretty amazing isn't it.

That is amazing. What a caching black hole.

The Jersey Shore strikes me as the place I'm least likely to visit or go geocaching in the US. Someone once offered me a free weekend in Atlantic City and all I could do was stare in horror at the mere thought of it.

I agree. I'd hate to have to find a cache in a place like this

b22f78ff-d462-4eac-b32a-b700510c070a.jpg

or this

d8ce98a6-543e-4499-9bd2-7adafa5dee16.jpg

And imagine finding a cache in a place like this

5c77e0ba-bcfa-4e48-a851-19b55d86003d.jpg

or for that matter this one

d632be20-ee4f-43f0-a8d4-bede68c039bb.jpg

Egads

Edited by briansnat

Wow, that's an old post. What's funny is that I recently went through Fresno and did 2 caches, of which I favorited one.

The best part of that is that it was a puzzle cache, and the only two finders ever (it's been out about 6 months) are me and a guy from Alameda, also in the Bay Area.

But Fresno probably doesn't deserve the scorn. I'm sure there are some nice caches there. Now that favorites exist, I probably wouldn't avoid any place just based on geography.

or this

Egads

The ocean somewhat terrifies me - so I would likely avoid those places..... :ph34r:

or this

Egads

Those are not Atlantic City. There are nice places nearby, but AC is best seen from a distance.

You also left out:

However there are plenty of very nice spots on the Jersey Shore such as Cape May, and Long Beach Island.

:rolleyes:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I'm with you on Erie. My in-laws live an hour away and Erie is "the big city" where they go shopping. I've made a number of trips there. Presque Island Park had some nice caches, and I found one at a cool historic site, but the rest were largely micros and nanos on signs and in parking lots. Last few times I visited the in-laws, I didn't even bother loading a PQ for the Erie area.

Now if you are a numbers hound, it's probably a paradise.

or this

Egads

Smog, garbage, seagulls, and polluted water. Mmmm...

We don't get a lot of smog here. You might be confusing NJ for LA. The prevailing winds tend to blow the pollution that comes from the Midwest directly out to sea. It might be an issue during rare occasions in the summer when atmospheric conditions are conducive to it, but there are years when it is never an issue and others where it occurs sporadically. I'd be willing to bet that smog is more of an issue in the Grand Canyon than it is at the NJ shore. As far as ocean pollution, the water is cleaner than it probably has been in the past 100 years thanks to modern sewage treatment.

Seagulls? Yep. It's the sea, so there are a lot of them.

BTW here are the most polluted cities in the US. Not one is in NJ

Most polluted US cities

(By short-term particle pollution)

1 Bakersfield, CA

2 Fresno, CA

3 Pittsburgh, PA

4 Los Angeles, CA

5 Birmingham, AL

6 Sacramento, CA

7 Salt Lake City, UT

8 Visalia CA

9 Modesto, CA

10 Hanford, CA

11 Merced, CA

12 Philadelphia, PA

13 Provo, UT

14 Phoenix, AZ

15 Stockton, CA

Most polluted US cities

(By year-round particle pollution)

1 Phoenix, AZ

2 Bakersfield, CA

3 Los Angeles, CA

3 Visalia, CA

5 Pittsburgh, PA

6 Fresno, CA

7 Birmingham, AL

8 Hanford, CA

9 Cincinnati, OH

9 St. Louis, MO

11 Charleston, WV

11 Detroit MI

11 Weirton WV

14 Louisville, KY

14 Modesto, CA

Most polluted US cities

(By ozone pollution)

1 Los Angeles, CA

2 Bakersfield, CA

3 Visalia, CA

4 Fresno, CA

5 Sacramento, CA

6 Hanford, CA

7 Houston, TX

8 San Diego, CA

9 San Luis, CA

10 Charlotte, NC-SC

11 Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ

12 Merced, CA

13 Dallas, TX

14 Knoxville, TN

15 El Centro, CA

As far as Atlantic City, I'm with you. No desire to go there. I'm not a gambler. Other places like Seaside Heights, Asbury Park (outside of the music scene) hold no attraction to me. But they are no different than most other shore resort areas. Places like Ocean Beach MD, Kitty Hawk, NC, Virgina Beach, Va, and Miami Beach, Fl which are far worse with regards to development and commercialism. At least you won't see 20 story hotels lining the beach at the Jersey shore.

Then there is Island Beach State Park. Most of which probably doesn't look all that different than it did when the first European settlers reached our shores. I've seen few places on the east coast that can compare. The Cape Cod National Seashore is one, but they don't allow caches.

Edited by briansnat

Granted, just about everything in the lower 48 is more polluted than Canada, but New Jersey does have a bad rap. There really are some beautiful areas to that state. There's also some great Italian food, but that is another subject for another time. smile.gif

Hi! We are new to Geocaching and live in California. We have only done searching in Los Angeles. I figured out pretty fast urban and rural Geocaching is different!

I would love to check out Grass Valley and the North Coast redwood area, near Eureka. I used to live up north, and my husband is from a tiny town right under Oregon. We have yet to find anything but a mico's and I'm drying to do some hiking to find our first amo can!

As far as Atlantic City, I'm with you. No desire to go there. I'm not a gambler. Other places like Seaside Heights, Asbury Park (outside of the music scene) hold no attraction to me. But they are no different than most other shore resort areas. Places like Ocean Beach MD, Kitty Hawk, NC, Virgina Beach, Va, and Miami Beach, Fl which are far worse with regards to development and commercialism. At least you won't see 20 story hotels lining the beach at the Jersey shore.

You won't find 20 story hotels in Kitty Hawk, NC either. There are lots of large vacation rental homes but very few large hotels and less development than on other parts of the Outer Banks. I've geocached on the Outer Banks a couple of times and have really enjoyed it.

Granted, just about everything in the lower 48 is more polluted than Canada, but New Jersey does have a bad rap. There really are some beautiful areas to that state. There's also some great Italian food, but that is another subject for another time. smile.gif

New Jersey is fine, and a beautiful State. I rather like it. I have about 60 finds there, but most of them were in 2003 and 2004 when they were all like 10 miles apart. And all in nice places. :ph34r:

On topic, I would avoid caching in Ithaca, NY, because NYPaddleCacher has been telling us for years there's hardly any caches there. :lol:

You won't find 20 story hotels in Kitty Hawk, NC either. There are lots of large vacation rental homes but very few large hotels and less development than on other parts of the Outer Banks. I've geocached on the Outer Banks a couple of times and have really enjoyed it.

True, no 20 story hotels but it is packed tight with vacation homes. Maybe I'm thinking more of Kill Devil Hills when I think of overdevelopment and commercialism. My parents lived just north of there (Duck) until recently,so I visited the area a number of times over the years.

Edited by briansnat

Hi! We are new to Geocaching and live in California. We have only done searching in Los Angeles. I figured out pretty fast urban and rural Geocaching is different!

Great point! And welcome to the game. There is a BIG difference between urban and rural caching. For those that like adventure, urban caching can be just as rewarding but it takes an effort to target your-kind-of-cache. And I for one would say that it is worth the effort.

Several of our to-do and must-do caches appear in locations in this thread.

'nuff said

And to briansnat... you have single-handedly changed my perception of New Jersey. Thanks.

New Jersey is fine, and a beautiful State. I rather like it. I have about 60 finds there, but most of them were in 2003 and 2004 when they were all like 10 miles apart. And all in nice places. :ph34r:

On topic, I would avoid caching in Ithaca, NY, because NYPaddleCacher has been telling us for years there's hardly any caches there. :lol:

We tend to go for quality versus quantity. Frankly, if you looked at my stats over the last year it would appear that I avoid caching in Ithaca as well. BTW, that last time I was in Buffalo I was staying near the old Bethlehem Steel plant (my father in law worked there for many years) where as someone recently mentioned there are few caches.

True, no 20 story hotels but it is packed tight with vacation homes. Maybe I'm thinking more of Kill Devil Hills when I think of overdevelopment and commercialism. My parents lived just north of there (Duck) until recently,so I visited the area a number of times over the years.

It *is* kinda hard to tell where Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, and Nags Head start and end. The whole area between South Nags Head (and area I prefer) and Corolla is certainly packed with vacation homes and there are plenty of strip malls. However, it just doesn't have the same feel as Ocean City, MD and I certainly wouldn't consider the areas interchangeable. From what I remember geocaching in the Outer banks area, although there is plenty of commercialism and development most of the geocachers were actually in fairly interesting locations and I even discovered an area that I'd never visited after 10 years or so of vacations in the area (Nags Head Woods) that was quite lovely.

Ithaca? Closest I ever got to that place was Watkins Glen

945060188_d062254856.jpg

GC13AMQ Watkins Glen Earthcache

There a cache in a very similar location in Ithaca near this spot:

12.jpg

About 200 feet past that bridge is the 115 foot high Lucifer Falls.