Soggy Log Season

nericksx

I've been caching for about 8 months now, and this will be my first winter as a geocacher. I'm up in the PacNW and it's pretty much rainy season now. The last handful of caches I've found have had soggy logs. So far I've been posting a Needs Maintenance log, but I'm starting to wonder if soggy logs in Oregon in the winter are just the way of things and it isn't worth put a NM note on over. What do you guys think?

NME

I've been caching for about 8 months now, and this will be my first winter as a geocacher. I'm up in the PacNW and it's pretty much rainy season now. The last handful of caches I've found have had soggy logs. So far I've been posting a Needs Maintenance log, but I'm starting to wonder if soggy logs in Oregon in the winter are just the way of things and it isn't worth put a NM note on over. What do you guys think?

I carry spare logsheets and plastic baggies with me. If I encounter a full or wet log, and there's space, I add another logsheet in a baggie to it.

Some cache owners may prefer to do the maintenance themselves, so you may want to note in your log that you added a logsheet because the original is wet. They can remove your new logsheet if they decide to perform maintenance.

It's been so long since we've had any significant rainfall here in Southern California that even some of the more seasoned cachers are getting lax when it comes to weatherproof cache designs and many new hiders don't seem to have a clue. For example, I've been finding more and more Altoids tin caches where the log isn't even in a baggie.

It's impossible to know when we'll finally get back into a more normal rainfall pattern, but when we do there's going to be a lot of wet logs.

Pete

I do the same as Chrysalides.

Likewise here. Especially if I'm doing some backcountry ones that are infrequently visited. If it's something a bit harder to fix, like a cracked/destroyed container, I'll post a NM log.

Fixing distressed caches is not the norm however. Most folks just post the NM and move on as far as I can tell.

Like Curioddity pointed out, it's not as if it rains a ton in CA, so it's not uncommon to see cache containers that are not very weather proof around here, so one good dump of rain makes a pretty good mess of things.

....edit to fix html

Edited by Touchstone
Generally speaking a wet log speaks volumes about the quality of the cache container.
Yep. I carry replacement logs/stash notes that are printed on Rite in the Rain paper. During our wet winter months, I use a lot more of them. New geocachers place caches during the dry season, and they don't realize that the container won't hold up during the wet winter months.

I'm a little south of you, down near Albany. Around here, about 20% of the caches have soggy/dripping logs in the winter, those cachers are usually new and learn the best ways to do things the first winter. The remaining 80% usually have placed pretty good containers and the majority of the caches I find down this way are dry, unless they've gotten wet while they were opened up in the rain, a common situation.

Generally speaking a wet log speaks volumes about the quality of the cache container.

So, so true. Yesterday I found a cache that was just a log inside of a plastic baggie hidden under a rock in a flowerbed. The seal on the baggie was broken so the log was all wet. That's not a good container. There's also a wonderful 4-stage multi in my area in which the final is just a plastic baggie. And it's a TB and trackable hotel. Very inappropriate cache container, especially considering the valuable contents inside.

B) Just carry a small sprial notebook that you buy at Walmart and when you find a wet or soaked log, just place a sheet of the notebook in container and start a new log...and of course let the CO know via log or email. I did this 2 times today....both old logs were so soaked that they could not be opened. It takes a min or so, but worth the time...I have a few caches out and appreciate when this kindness is applied to my caches. Stay save and happy caching. Edited by Wild Thing 73