Young Geocachers

It seems like I am pretty much the only person over the age of ten and under the age of thirty that likes to Geocache. This leaves me wondering, are there any other teenagers that enjoy this hobby? Either alone (like me) or with their friends/family?

Forgive me if this is in the wrong section. B)

From my personal observations, you are quite correct. The Team often observes adult and small children with adults geocaching.

We very rarely observe teens. This has been true in every region where we have cached.

As with most things in life, there are of course exceptions and we see those just as others do. What we hardly ever see are teens caching.

Now if I was looking to hook up with teens doing outdoors type stuff, I'd go where the mountain bikers and skate boarders and snow boarders and roller bladers hang.

I think the reason there might be less percentage of younger geocachers is because teens are often spending a lot of time testing out those new hormones. Before they find the hormones, they are often too young to be let out of the house on miles-long trips off into the wilderness.

Just a theory based on my own personal history.

Great to see some other teenagers here, I was starting to feel like a weirdo. B) I just wondered, since I went to an event on Saturday and was by FAR the youngest one there. Thank you for crawling out of the woodwork. :)

My two brothers and I are the three members of Cachensfun. I'm 17 the next one is 15 and then 13. Our Wonderful Uncle (Michigan Cacheman) got us into this great sport. We love doing it. Dose that answer your question

I'm seventeen too!

I'm 16 and I started geocaching all by my self. It was hard at first because I biked around to a few local parks, but when I got my license it was a lot easier to go caching on the weekends especially. I've convinced one of my friends to come caching too, and he loves it. Even though we are a lot younger than the other cachers I have met on the trail, it's always easy to talk to them. This hobby seems to be accommodating to any age.

I'm 16 and I started geocaching all by my self. It was hard at first because I biked around to a few local parks, but when I got my license it was a lot easier to go caching on the weekends especially. I've convinced one of my friends to come caching too, and he loves it. Even though we are a lot younger than the other cachers I have met on the trail, it's always easy to talk to them. This hobby seems to be accommodating to any age.

It is definitely easier with a license. B) I'm trying to convince my friends to get into it, but I don't think any of them have a GPS unit. ... While I was typing I just had an epiphany: Maybe the absence of teens is due to the fact that hardly any teenagers own/have access to a GPS unit. :) I think I may have just answered my own question. :huh:

It is definitely easier with a license. B) I'm trying to convince my friends to get into it, but I don't think any of them have a GPS unit. ... While I was typing I just had an epiphany: Maybe the absence of teens is due to the fact that hardly any teenagers own/have access to a GPS unit. :) I think I may have just answered my own question. :huh:

Where you live, is there a minimum age requirement in order to purchase a GPSr?

I think the reason there might be less percentage of younger geocachers is because teens are often spending a lot of time testing out those new hormones. Before they find the hormones, they are often too young to be let out of the house on miles-long trips off into the wilderness.

Then they need a GPS-to help find the hormones and then the geocaches.

You know, I'm probably not the only one here that is getting tired of hearing about your lack of... romance. TMI, thank you. I'd like to politely ask you to please keep that sort of talk to yourself. It feels kinda creepy. Edited by knowschad

I'm not aware of an age requirement to purchase one, but I can't imagine most people my age would just walk into REI or whathaveyou and buy one. A little on the expensive side for a teenager.

And compared to those snowboards and mountain bikes........and why on earth would you go to REI?

I don't know why REI in particular, just throwing out an outdoors store. It's pretty much the only one here. I do know a few snowboarders, but that's a much more widely known and easily explainable hobby. Asking one's parents for a GPS unit is kind of a strange thing to explain. I know my parents are a little confused by the whole thing (though I have brought my dad with me to search for a cache, and he went with me to an event on Saturday).

You know, I'm probably not the only one here that is getting tired of hearing about your lack of... romance. TMI, thank you. I'd like to politely ask you to please keep that sort of talk to yourself. It feels kinda creepy.

So far it's been over 30 seconds and I'm still laughing.

Thanks for the laughs, chads friend.

You know, I'm probably not the only one here that is getting tired of hearing about your lack of... romance. TMI, thank you. I'd like to politely ask you to please keep that sort of talk to yourself. It feels kinda creepy.

So far it's been over 30 seconds and I'm still laughing.

Thanks for the laughs, chads friend.

The name is Knowschad to you.

The OP mentioned "over 10 and under 30"... I'm not sure about the teens (although my son has come along caching with me most chances he got, from the age of 14 to now at 20), but there are plenty of young adults caching. The geocaching demographic varies quite a bit from country to country in Europe, but I'm trying to remember the last time I met a Czech cacher who looked over 35.

Here in France, I think the age range matches the US average pretty closely, although the median US cacher has us beat on the weight front. :)

I didn't find this post out of order, this is a true obsevation I too have made! Kids do what their parents do until they hit the "crazy" years, the years when the hormones kick in and the parents get kicked out a bit. Why did you find tis post offensive?

My teen (16) god-son and I cache as often as we can afford to, he sometimes brings a friend with him and we all have a good time! He now has his own GPS, but even without one, he would often give me competition on making the finds!! :) We've discussed the logging of caches and having his own account, but he's not into the "work" part yet, so we share my account which he will take over one day when I am no longer around!

The OP mentioned "over 10 and under 30"... I'm not sure about the teens (although my son has come along caching with me most chances he got, from the age of 14 to now at 20), but there are plenty of young adults caching. The geocaching demographic varies quite a bit from country to country in Europe, but I'm trying to remember the last time I met a Czech cacher who looked over 35.

Here in France, I think the age range matches the US average pretty closely, although the median US cacher has us beat on the weight front. :)

I'll agree to the fact that the demographics are definitely skewed towards the younger side in Europe. I was usually the youngest by a few years when I went to events in the USA (I started caching when I was 22) but there are a fair number of caching buddies I know in my age range in the Netherlands.

Back to the original question though, I have run into groups of teenagers twice while caching- they were definitely on the younger instead of older side of teenager-dom though.

Edited by Andromeda321

I've met geocachers under the age of 21, but I'm pretty sure every one of them either cached with family or as part of a Scout troop. I do know of 1 teenage geocacher in the next county though (just never seen them in person). Transportation for teenage geocachers is probably a big limitation. Being able to afford a GPS used to be a big limitation, but now so many kids seem to have smartphones that's not so much of an issue anymore. The hobby does seem inclined toward middle-aged or older people, presumably because they are more likely to have the time and money to spare.

I just turned fifteen. I LOVE the sport, though it doesn't help to not yet have a driver's licence or parents who truly enjoy it. Seems like I am always begging them to go out, and I never get more than an hour. I bike on my own most of the time. There are two other teenage boys in the area who I know also en joy it, but I rarely find an opportunity to go with either of them due to extremely tight teenage schedules.

All the same, I am a teenager who caches.

It seems like I am pretty much the only person over the age of ten and under the age of thirty that likes to Geocache. This leaves me wondering, are there any other teenagers that enjoy this hobby? Either alone (like me) or with their friends/family?

Forgive me if this is in the wrong section. :D

LOTS

Edit:

Drat! I didn't look at the age of this thread. I usually don't respond to old ones like this.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

I'm 23 and recently started Geocaching. My friend from Cali (22) introduced me to it. I got my GF (23) and another friend (22) into it. Hoping more young adults pick up on it so we can have events that focus around my age group. I have run into a couple Geocaching who couldn't have been over 30 yrs old, looking good so far! = )

Well I'm 13 and i cache alone/without adults about half the time. Biking is my main mode of transportation.

My non Geocaching friends-they don't get it at all whenever i even try to explain what it is but don't really care.

you just said what I do when I cache! that probably sums up everything, even the thirteen part. But then again, this is five years later so you're 18 now... B)