not emailed pocket queries

King.Tut

Hi

I didn't become a premium member until I had over 100 finds. So I thought to get pocket queries I may as well buy the premium membership. Pocket queries is the main reason I became a premium member. So I made my first PQ. Don't ask if I filled it out correctly, I may be dumb but I'm not stupid? Yes I filled it out correctly, for reasons you will see later in this post. So I made a PQ for caches I didn't find, with 300 caches and within 100kms. I tried to send the gpx zipped to my email. It didn't show up, so I tried several more times after changing a few things, thinking that would help. Still no email. Waited most of the day and still nothing. So I thought well lets try not zipped. I did manage to receive that email file, which is called 7digits followed by the name I gave it then wpts.gpx. I saved this file to my garmin unit and no caches were shown. So I deleted it. I then set it back to zip file and I still don't get any emails. I did look on the forum with the same problem and what I have read does not fix my problems. So it's not like I didn't try to read first. Therefore I need to ask my questions and give my situation. I appreciate any help you can give me. I must be doing something wrong of course but what is it. Oh once you press submit is there any way of telling that the email has actually been sent other than taking you back to the same page with no errors. Does it say an email has been sent out or am I being taken back to the same page because I didn't do something right. And yes I have waited a long time for and email to be sent I didn't think it would be sent out 2 seconds after I press submit.

1. After creating a query, you need to check a box for the day on which you wish for the pocket query to be generated and sent to you as an e-mail with the file.

2. Once you've run a query on a particular day, you cannot run that same query again until the next day. Were you making new copies each time you asked for the query to be run?

I tried a test PQ on your account and it generated 66 finds for the settings you had on the other one. I also had it sent to my Groundspeak account to see if it arrives and how it gets here. Ill let you know the results.

FYI the wpts.gpx file is a secondary file with additional waypoints. The main file will be the number.gpx file in the zip.

OK it ran right away and I forwarded it to your registered email on your account. I got 180 caches. I forgot to tell it not to show the ones you found. But this proves that it worked.

I am still unable to get PQ sent by email. I did however get it twice now. What I do is set up a PQ click on submit and then click on return to list after it generated. What I see here is the preview box with the attributes. Under last generated is a date with say yesterdays date the date I did get the PQ sent to me. If I go back to this PQ the next day and make a few changes and try again, the last generated date does not change it still says the same date. If I change the name of the PQ and submit the last generated date still doesn't update. There is another box below that called My Finds in the last generated it said never. The add to queue box was blue, I clicked it and the date changed and the PQ was sent . But now every time I try to change the PQ and send a new one the My Finds stays with the same date as before and the add to queue does not light up so I can't click it. I know I must be trying to send PQ to often or something like that. Is there a way to test send as many queries as you want with out trying to go over your limit for the day or week. I don't know if I'm explaining this correctly. If you need more info just ask and I'll try to fill you in more. All I would like it to send as many PQ tests as I can first to see if this works then maybe one per day and finally one per week. HEEEELP

:)

If you ran a PQ yesterday and then try to it today, it won't run for a while. The most recently run PQs go to the back of the line. When you run a brand new PQ or one that hasn't run in a while, you should get it right away. The 'Add to Queue' button is for your 'My Finds' query, it can only be run once a week.

So are you saying that if I run a PQ and rename it it should send right away? How many times can I do this to test it. Can I do one after the other for say 10 tries with in say 1 hour, but leave the settings the same just change the name? Thanks for your help. I'll try a new one with just a name change and see what happens.

Not just one person's error. I have several pocket queries that I have saved and run regularly, one of them is my caches that I own so I can flag anything with DNF's for possible maintenance. I fired it up as I always did last evening and set it for Sunday to run. Around midnight it still hadn't emailed the file to me and the little red check was still in Sunday, so I powered off.

This morning I looked, still no emailed file and still red check for Sunday. Since it was no longer Sunday I opened the query, changed the request date to Monday and the little red check was now in today's day of Monday. That was about NINE HOURS AGO and the little red check is still checked, and still no file email to me.

It's not just the topic's author, there's something flaky going on as I've done this same thing hundreds of times without issue, now I can't get the PQ to fire off at all

:):):D:):D:):D:D:(:P:lol:

With a pretty large event we're hosting this Saturday just getting organized, it would be kind of nice to be able to run a PQ....

So are you saying that if I run a PQ and rename it it should send right away? How many times can I do this to test it. Can I do one after the other for say 10 tries with in say 1 hour, but leave the settings the same just change the name? Thanks for your help. I'll try a new one with just a name change and see what happens.

If you rename a PQ, it is the same PQ as far as Groundspeak is concerned. Each PQ is numbered and that is what is used to determine which PQ it is. That number does not change when the PQ is renamed.

Not just one person's error. I have several pocket queries that I have saved and run regularly, one of them is my caches that I own so I can flag anything with DNF's for possible maintenance. I fired it up as I always did last evening and set it for Sunday to run. Around midnight it still hadn't emailed the file to me and the little red check was still in Sunday, so I powered off.

This morning I looked, still no emailed file and still red check for Sunday. Since it was no longer Sunday I opened the query, changed the request date to Monday and the little red check was now in today's day of Monday. That was about NINE HOURS AGO and the little red check is still checked, and still no file email to me.

It's not just the topic's author, there's something flaky going on as I've done this same thing hundreds of times without issue, now I can't get the PQ to fire off at all

:):):D:):D:):D:D:(:P:lol:

With a pretty large event we're hosting this Saturday just getting organized, it would be kind of nice to be able to run a PQ....

The PQ you are talking about had a last run timestamp of midnight exactly. That means that an error was encountered when running it (usually an issue of a server time out, although I'm not sure why it would have happened with such a relatively straight-forward PQ). In any case, I reset it and it successfully ran for me moments ago. You should receive it soon.

Hi Jellis50, I am using a Garmin 200. I can send gpx's right to a folder on the unit itself. But at any rate I think I have it all sorted out now. It is a learning curve thing, and I knew that but I was trying to do to much all at once. Things are working properly now. I want to thank all you guys who helped me out here. I also want to say hi to moun10bike. I have heard lots about you. All good by the way. I haven't yet had the privilege of finding any of your coins so I can discover one. I would love to have the icon show up in my list. Even better would be one day to actually have one in my possession, this would be my ultimate goal. I hope for this one day. Thank you for making an appearance in once of my posts. The reason I know about you is I have a few people here that collect coins. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that but the way they do it is what I do not like. Anyway thanks to all who have helped or have read and had nothing to say. Very nice forum which I am a new member of and a new premium member on geocaching.com

Edited by King.Tut
The PQ you are talking about had a last run timestamp of midnight exactly. That means that an error was encountered when running it (usually an issue of a server time out, although I'm not sure why it would have happened with such a relatively straight-forward PQ). In any case, I reset it and it successfully ran for me moments ago. You should receive it soon.

Yup, got it last night at home. Unfortunately I was going to copy it to a flash drive and bring it with me today to check caches for a maintenance run and I forgot. So I fired off the PQ to run again first thing this morning (around 8:00-ish) and now it's around 10:00-ish and it's still sitting idle with the red check mark after 2 hours.

I used to run PQ's and they were within 10-15 minutes. Lately it seems if I get them in 4-6 hours I feel lucky. What should be the norm for how long it takes to receive a PQ?

Yup, got it last night at home. Unfortunately I was going to copy it to a flash drive and bring it with me today to check caches for a maintenance run and I forgot. So I fired off the PQ to run again first thing this morning (around 8:00-ish) and now it's around 10:00-ish and it's still sitting idle with the red check mark after 2 hours.

I used to run PQ's and they were within 10-15 minutes. Lately it seems if I get them in 4-6 hours I feel lucky. What should be the norm for how long it takes to receive a PQ?

I see that your PQ has since generated, but for future reference: Pocket Queries are prioritized according to when they were last run. Since this PQ was just run yesterday afternoon, it was at nearly the back of the pack and thus had to wait while the rest of the queue was processed ahead of it. However, if in the future you copy a PQ to a new one and run the copy, you will get it almost immediately.

I see that your PQ has since generated, but for future reference: Pocket Queries are prioritized according to when they were last run. Since this PQ was just run yesterday afternoon, it was at nearly the back of the pack and thus had to wait while the rest of the queue was processed ahead of it. However, if in the future you copy a PQ to a new one and run the copy, you will get it almost immediately.

That's a good trick to know. And I didn't know about the "when last run" aspect of PQ's, makes sense.

Thanks! :)

The original author is not the only one with problems with PQ's not sending. I also have one that I created via the map view... In preview - it shows all that are in the requested query.. so I ran it.. it also shows a Midnight (11-15-2009) run date.. but to date - still have not received the PQ. Tried re-running yesterday - still the original run-date... so submitted a help ticket for it.... Hopefully they'll get it sorted out & I can get this particular one again. My old ones that I've had *forever* seem to be running fine.. but the new one has locked up.