REI Sale

OldA'sFan

I got the REI Winter Sale Catalog today, and they are having a great sale on the Oregon 300 and the nuvi 265wt. The Oregon is $249.99 (regular $399.95) and the nuvi 265wt is $169.99 (regular $269.95). I just bought the Oregon for $399.95 from REI. Sale starts Nov 20th. I called them and they will honor the price to me if I will bring in my receipt. Ya gotta love REI! :D

OldA'sFan

I was about to buy the PN-40, but wanted to browse this forum one more time to make sure that I was making the right decision when I saw this topic. The PN-40 is $300 on Amazon, but is it a no-brainer to get the Oregon for $50 cheaper?

Depends on what you want from your GPS. For me, a device which will become difficult to use while wearing a variety of gloves, or even mittens, due to a touchscreen is not desireable. And the imagery options on the PN-40 can't be beat, I can't imagine being without those.

I got the REI Winter Sale Catalog today, and they are having a great sale on the Oregon 300 and the nuvi 265wt. The Oregon is $249.99 (regular $399.95) and the nuvi 265wt is $169.99 (regular $269.95). I just bought the Oregon for $399.95 from REI. Sale starts Nov 20th. I called them and they will honor the price to me if I will bring in my receipt. Ya gotta love REI! :)

OldA'sFan

Those are good prices (for REI) even considering that you won't get your rebate on it.

No problems using gloves with the touchscreen.

I'm talking about big, bulky gloves where it'd be easy to touch multiple "buttons" on a screen, or cover a large portion of the screen with the glove so you can't even see what you're really pointing at.

With gloves of that size and bulk are you able to manipulate the buttons on a PN series?

No problems using gloves with the touchscreen.

I'm talking about big, bulky gloves where it'd be easy to touch multiple "buttons" on a screen, or cover a large portion of the screen with the glove so you can't even see what you're really pointing at.

I spent seven hours last Saturday caching and benchmarking around Wasilla and Houston, Alaska, in temperatures between -4° and +2° F and had no problem logging eighteen cache finds, three cache DNFs, four benchmark finds, and eight benchmark DNFs with my Oregon 300. The unit performed like a champ and I had no problem operating it with gloves on my hands. Much more difficult was handling the pair of nanos we found and signing the log sheets with bare hands.

Can someone enlighten me on this : if I get a Oregon 300 and add Topo 100k maps, do I end up with a Oregon 400t, or are there other differences?

Kind of. The topo maps that comes with the 400t are of a larger block size than the purchasable Topo (same data though) so Garmin can fit the whole of NA on the unit, which you can't do with the purchased maps.

I thought DRM shading of the base map is somewhat finer on the 400t as well, but I can't remember for sure now.

Kind of. The topo maps that comes with the 400t are of a larger block size than the purchasable Topo (same data though) so Garmin can fit the whole of NA on the unit, which you can't do with the purchased maps.

Unless you read this thread: How to load all the US Topo ... How to get around the segment limit. (and don't mind a little hacking)

Which I don't think anyone got to work for Topo 2008, and most of the links in that thread are dead. Far easier, if bothered, is to grab a copy of the 400t Topo .img file from a friend and put it on the 300.

Topo 2008 on DVD "plays" on your PC--a very big advantage over the 400 series. The 400 maps only show on the unit's small screen. With the DVD and MapSource, you can plan trips and view your tracks on a large map on your PC's monitor. Save the cash and buy the DVD.

this sounds like a real advantage. i am curious -- can this be done with the free maps from gpsfiledepot, and can this be done with the delorme maps and PN series?

Topo 2008 on DVD "plays" on your PC--a very big advantage over the 400 series. The 400 maps only show on the unit's small screen. With the DVD and MapSource, you can plan trips and view your tracks on a large map on your PC's monitor. Save the cash and buy the DVD.

this sounds like a real advantage. i am curious -- can this be done with the free maps from gpsfiledepot, and can this be done with the delorme maps and PN series?

Using Mapsource--a part of the DVD, you can view all your free maps that work with Garmin. Geocaches appear on the PC-based maps and you can right click anywhere to find near caches via automatic hook-up to geocaching.com.

I think paying extra for a unit with built-in maps that can't be viewed on your PC or laptop is a ripoff. It's so easy to install whatever part of the DVD map you want directly onto your unit's memory or its SD card. You don't have to have the entire US topo map in your handheld (unless you're doing a really, really long hike). :lol:

Edited by bikercr

Which I don't think anyone got to work for Topo 2008, and most of the links in that thread are dead. Far easier, if bothered, is to grab a copy of the 400t Topo .img file from a friend and put it on the 300.

Well, poo. I was going to try that if/when I opt for the Oregon 300...

With the ability to rename the map .img file from "gmapsupp.img" to "Texas Topo.img" or whatever you want, the need to download maps/areas that are rarely used is not as much of an issue anymore, since you can load a new map segment without overwriting/deleting any of your exisiting maps on the GPS's internal memory or on the memory card.

Using Mapsource--a part of the DVD, you can view all your free maps that work with Garmin. Geocaches appear on the PC-based maps and you can right click anywhere to find near caches via automatic hook-up to geocaching.com.

so you are saying that with the 300, you have to buy the DVD to have this same feature using the free gpsfiledepot maps?