Augmented Reality and Geocaching

TPAWN4

Hi Folks,

any ideas of how a combination of augmented reality and geocaching (or other locationbased/ gps games) could look like? Maybe some experiments with android/ iphone apps in one hand and a gps device in the other hand (at the same time) have already been made?

Could be a nice discussion.

Cheers TPAWN4

Hi Folks,

any ideas of how a combination of augmented reality and geocaching (or other locationbased/ gps games) could look like? Maybe some experiments with android/ iphone apps in one hand and a gps device in the other hand (at the same time) have already been made?

Could be a nice discussion.

Cheers TPAWN4

My thinking is that a lot of folks geocache to experiense unaugmented reality (i.e. nature). I haven't done any of the Wherigo games (none local and lack the hardware) but it sounds like it would be suited for AR.

We need a Layer for Wikitude, that would be awesome for geocaching

UPDATE:

You can actually do this already, simply Download the Google Earth plugin:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/google.aspx

Download Google Earth and Load the geocaching.com plugin, select you cache's you want, copy them into the My Places Folder in Google Earth, then Save your My Places into a KML File which can be uploaded to:

Wikitude.me

and the cache's will be visible in the Wikitude World Browser, and Augmented Reality app Available for

iPhone, Android, and Symbian

http://www.wikitude.org/

iPhone 3Gs Verson

Android Version

Symbian Version

It's not necessarily Perfect, but I think it's the next best thing until geocaching.com adds themselves to the API, or add AR functionality to their App. ;)

Edited by DanSSJ4

I actually thought about creating a cache with QR Codes at different locations to try and guide the cacher to the final destination. Although the more I thought about it, this really is something different then GeoCaching which is all based on GPS. It also would limit who could do the cache since if you don't have a cell phone that can read the codes, you couldn't do the cache.

I am a techie at heart, so I always want to use what I have to be able to do stuff like this, but I know that not everyone is. The original idea of geocaching is to keep it as simple and basic as possible. You have GPS coordinates and there is a cache someone near that point. Eventually things will advance, but right now there are enough people that still use good ol' fashioned GPSes that doing some of the new stuff would really limit who would do it.

At least that is my $.02

We need a Layer for Wikitude, that would be awesome for geocaching

I use (reference to unauthorized application removed by Groundspeak) - it is really good. Has loads of features, and does not require you to download anything, or send anything to the phone - just login, and you're off. It also connects using Wikitude - on the fly. I am using it on my Nexus One.

Ouch - didn't know that one. Can anyone tell me what this is about? Obviously I can't list the software here. I am not sure what unauthorized means in this context - isn't this technolgoy now dawning on the Android - there are already tons of programs out there. Aren't we allowed to talk about them?

Edited by henryvoll

I reckon Geocaching and Augmented Reality can go together quite well and 'virtual augmented reality caches' could be another type of cache.

I'm thinking that the cache is a virtual augmented reality one that can only be seen through augmented reality and only when you get with a certain distance (e.g. 3 metres). You would still need to use the GPS to get there (I use an application on my smartphone) but can only view it when you get in range.

No need to place a physical object thus saving anyone from disturbing the cache (which has happened to a couple I have visited recently). Come to think of it the cache could be placed anywhere on earth from anywhere else! The cache could be a word or shape or something you need to see and feed back to geocaching.com. Because you need to be within a few metres you have to go there to find out what it is.

Still out and about in nature as well!

Edited by orangewombat