Expletives! Expletives, Expletives!

Wadders

:D

After a good few years service, my Mio P550 has decided it does not want to play anymore:mad: i like the 550 as i run cachemate MM and Tom Tom all from the same machine.

I have managed to crack the screen and it has got wet!

Now the question is.................well there is more than one actually :D

1/ do i just send it off and get it repaired, if so where do i send it?

2/ Do i just buy another P550, as it's what i am used to, and i have all the holders and leads etc

3/ Is it time to upgrade to a newer model, but whats the differences in the mios between the 360 the 560 the 702.

4/ Is there something better?

Thanks

Terry

Having not used a PDA for caching i cant advise on that side of things, but

With a Pda you are always going to have a problem with Water and robustness in the field.

Where as dedicated hand helds GPSr's are more water proof and generally stronger.

The Garmin Oregons and Dekotas now have OS quality maps available and also paperless caching which do not require additional software.

These units offer easier use, both at home and in the field and can be used as satnavs although not as good as dedicated satnavs.

But these are not as cheap as PDA's.

So yes there are alternatives, which can make the game easier and just as much fun.

I had mine repaired by Mio somewhile back. Excellent service and under warranty even though it was bought second hand on e-bay (2 year warranty, they had a track of the serial number). Their returns service should give you an estimate of the repair cost if out of warranty.

The P550 isn't available anymore. The new one is the P560 - but if you don't use wifi/bluetooth then look at the P360 - same unit but without the ethereal bits....

Chris (MrB)

:D

After a good few years service, my Mio P550 has decided it does not want to play anymore:mad: i like the 550 as i run cachemate MM and Tom Tom all from the same machine.

Now the question is.................well there is more than one actually :D

2/ Do i just buy another P550, as it's what i am used to, and i have all the holders and leads etc

3/ Is it time to upgrade to a newer model, but whats the differences in the mios between the 360 the 560 the 702.

Thanks

Terry

Since I got my Oregon I've ditched the pda for everything except remote wifi and games.

The Oregon works perfectly in all weathers, the batteries last all day (and they're AA's so it's nothing to carry spares), and apart from the lack of postcode search and an irritating voice road use with TT's freeby maps has so far been as good as TomTom.

Ah.... now MrsB has a Colorado with the Garmin topo maps and I have my Mio with the OS maps. I agree battery life on the PDA is a bit of a problem but the OS maps are so much better than the Garmin maps (or TT's excellent maps). I wouldn't get rid of my Mio!

Chris (MrB)

Oh - forgot to add - got OS 1:50k Wales and Southern England on the oregon - which does make a bit of a difference off road..... :D

Ah.... now MrsB has a Colorado with the Garmin topo maps and I have my Mio with the OS maps. I agree battery life on the PDA is a bit of a problem but the OS maps are so much better than the Garmin maps (or TT's excellent maps). I wouldn't get rid of my Mio!

Chris (MrB)

Oh - forgot to add - got OS 1:50k Wales and Southern England on the oregon - which does make a bit of a difference off road..... :)

Or OS 1:25K covering same (actually larger) area on the mio! I confess that having used 1:25 on the mio, and as paper maps before, I would hate to return to 1:50K.

I'm in the same position as Terry - and I'm sending mine to PDAhut for a repair estimate. Mios (new and old models) are hard to find at the mo, although I believe various IPAQs do exactly the same job, and can be found on e-bay for a reasonable price...

:(

Now the question is.................well there is more than one actually :)

Thanks

Terry

Since I got my Oregon I've ditched the pda for everything except remote wifi and games.

The Oregon works perfectly in all weathers, the batteries last all day (and they're AA's so it's nothing to carry spares), and apart from the lack of postcode search and an irritating voice road use with TT's freeby maps has so far been as good as TomTom.

:(

Now the question is.................well there is more than one actually :)

Thanks

Terry

Tim can you view spoiler pics on the Oregon ?

Tim can you view spoiler pics on the Oregon ?

On the Colorado the GPX file downloaded directly from the PQ doesn't include any photos from the image gallery (I guess the Oregon is the same?). I do believe you can transfer the images with GSAK. I've not done this so if there is a way I'd like to know too!

Chris (MrB)

Apparently there's a way to export spoiler pics as POI's with Garmin Base Camp - but I haven't had a play yet.

The obvious advantage is that the pic/poi will appear on the map at the correct co-ords, so it should just be a case of clicking to open the pic ?? :(