If you could cache anywhere in the US!

Cherokee Bill

Start: Kelowna, BC

* Take Hwy 3 and Hwy 1 to the border and cross

* Head to Whitby Island, WA and take the ferry to Port Townsend, WA

* Head to the coast toward Forks, WA

* Just drive down the coast all the way to California on the Pacific Coast Highway

* Drive home via I5 and cross the border near Vancouver, BC

Done all of that except the last one. It was the best experience of my life especially the drive along hwy 101 all the way to CA from WA :lol: .

Start: Kelowna, BC

* Take Hwy 3 and Hwy 1 to the border and cross

* Head to Whitby Island, WA and take the ferry to Port Townsend, WA

* Head to the coast toward Forks, WA

* Just drive down the coast all the way to California on the Pacific Coast Highway

* Drive home via I5 and cross the border near Vancouver, BC

I'm already caching there. The pacific NW! I would love to drive more of the 101 sometime in the near future. Would also love to go explore a little more of oregon, but really, I live in the most beautiful place in the world and I haven't explored enough and that what geocaching is about to me, exploring the place I've grown up, can't wait!

We'd go to a part of the country we hadn't visited since we began caching.

Right now that would be Texas and just about any state bordering Canada. We'd look for a caching route that involved natural and historical treasures, nice hikes or climbs, whatever the region had to offer by way of water, more full-sized caches than micros, and interesting places to eat.

Gee... when do we start?!?

I've cached the entire country. Did the following road trips:

A central US trip: (IA, NE, MO, KS, OK, AR, TX, LA, MS, KY, TN) - over 5 days

A north-central trip ( MN, ND, SD) - over a weekend

A north-east trip (IN, MI, OH, WV, PA, NY, VT, NH, ME, MA, RI, CT, NJ, MD, DE, DC) - over 7 days

A south-east trip - (IN, KY, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, TN, AR, MO, IL) - over 5 days

A western trip - (NV, CA, AZ, NM, CO, UT, WY, MT, ID, WA, OR) - over two weeks (lots of touristy stuff thrown in)

Also did HI and AK on separate trips.

My favorite places: anywhere west of the plains (you can't beat the views of the mountains or the desert), HI (can't beat the weather), AK (can't beat 20 hours of sun in summer).

There's nothing better than a good road trip!

Why North Carolina of course. We have ocean, piedmont, mountains and several micro climate not found anywhere else... What else do you need?

You said it. I feel spoiled being an NC native. We do have it good here. I do have a couple of other places I have fallen in love with. Wyoming/Colorado area, subtracting Denver from the mix, of course. (It's an NFL thing and I'm a Falcons fan :D ). I also love the Dakotas. I LOVE central Kentucky. Wonderful people up there. If I had my choice of places to move to, it would be a toss-up between Richmond, KY, and Laramie, WY.

Well, I don't go to places just to cache (if I had a caching husband, that might happen more), but when we travel, we always try to do some caching. This summer, we went to the NE corner of the U.S., and did a fair amount of caching. We spent a few hours in Central Park, which is full of caches, and I'd love to go back to NYC and D.C. and do some more caching (and picture taking!!!) and adventuring there. I made sure and did at least one cache in every state we visited, and managed to wrap up 25 states. I've been to 49 states, but I haven't cached in all of them. I'd love to cache in the other 25 states.

But, like many others have mentioned in this thread, I feel very blessed to be living where I live. After traveling around quite a bit, I feel that the NW is the best place to cache, for many reasons. It's beautiful here, lots of variety, and we don't seem to have as many of the problems that seem to plaque other places. It looks like my husband and I will be heading down the Washington/Oregon coast again, for our 14th wedding anniversary in December. I'm looking forward to doing some gorgeous coastal caching in the winter. :D:D:o

Well, I don't go to places just to cache (if I had a caching husband, that might happen more), but when we travel, we always try to do some caching. This summer, we went to the NE corner of the U.S., and did a fair amount of caching. We spent a few hours in Central Park, which is full of caches, and I'd love to go back to NYC and D.C. and do some more caching (and picture taking!!!) and adventuring there. I made sure and did at least one cache in every state we visited, and managed to wrap up 25 states. I've been to 49 states, but I haven't cached in all of them. I'd love to cache in the other 25 states.

But, like many others have mentioned in this thread, I feel very blessed to be living where I live. After traveling around quite a bit, I feel that the NW is the best place to cache, for many reasons. It's beautiful here, lots of variety, and we don't seem to have as many of the problems that seem to plaque other places. It looks like my husband and I will be heading down the Washington/Oregon coast again, for our 14th wedding anniversary in December. I'm looking forward to doing some gorgeous coastal caching in the winter. :D:D:o

I have cached along the Oregon coast several times. There are some great caches there that are basically park n grabs. There are others that a short walk will get you a great view you would not otherwise see. In California you have the choice of 101 or Highway 1. I would take highway 1, but that is your choice. I have a bookmark for caches along both highways that I enjoyed.

But, like many others have mentioned in this thread, I feel very blessed to be living where I live. After traveling around quite a bit, I feel that the NW is the best place to cache, for many reasons. It's beautiful here, lots of variety, and we don't seem to have as many of the problems that seem to plaque other places. It looks like my husband and I will be heading down the Washington/Oregon coast again, for our 14th wedding anniversary in December. I'm looking forward to doing some gorgeous coastal caching in the winter. :P:P:D

I have cached along the Oregon coast several times. There are some great caches there that are basically park n grabs. There are others that a short walk will get you a great view you would not otherwise see. In California you have the choice of 101 or Highway 1. I would take highway 1, but that is your choice. I have a bookmark for caches along both highways that I enjoyed.

Cool, thanks! I'll take a look at that bookmark. :o We went down there on our anniversary the first year we started caching, in 2002. We even placed a vacation cache while on our anniversary (won't tell you the name! :D ). But of course, it didn't last very long. Nice advertisement for why vacation caches don't work out. :D We did several caches there in 2004, as well, and we were suprised at how fast things had changed. The 2002 trip was wonderful, but I'm sure that things will be different this time. But I'm looking forward to walking on the beach, maybe finding some agates and jasper, tides permitting. :D

:D If you could travel to anywhere in the US to geocache for 4 - 5 days, where would it, and why?

The island of Maui. There are over 100 caches on the island. Most of them in some of the most beautiful places on earth. You can find caches at over 10,000 feet and at sea level (and everything in between).

Maui is best! Hana Ho

OldA'sFan

:D If you could travel to anywhere in the US to geocache for 4 - 5 days, where would it, and why?

The island of Maui. There are over 100 caches on the island. Most of them in some of the most beautiful places on earth. You can find caches at over 10,000 feet and at sea level (and everything in between).

Maui is best! Hana Ho

OldA'sFan

Been there, done that. ~LOL~

I loved caching on Maui. I just wish I had heard of geocaching on my first day there instead of on the second to last day.

There are some amazing views on Maui the caches just added to the fun. Of course the cache near the homeless beach wasn't all that great but I still signed it.

Where I would like to cache:

Mountains of Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Montana, Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington. Beautiful scenery, dry country, which is my favorite.

Where I would avoid:

Jacksonville, FL; Nashville, TN; Denver, CO; Chicago, IL

These cities have a reputation for huge numbers of lame caches.

Anyway, I would love to cache in Manhattan. May have a bit of trouble with Muggles though.

Believe it or not, less trouble than you'd think. Partly because there's a higher concentration of virtual caches, and partly because most people in that city are too busy to care about your business. And I suspect that over time, there is a natural selection process that weeds out the more noticeable caches.

The areas where I've had the most trouble are small rural towns where everybody knows everybody's business and where an out of town car/cacher draws immediate attention.

My absolute favorite area is New Mexico, southern Utah, and southwestern Colorado. Lots of great scenery, rural drives, and good caches along the way. And just about everywhere you go there's a good mix of quick roadside caches, strenuous hikes, or historic sites to suit whatever mood you happen to be in. I've made three trips through the region since I started caching, most recently last week.

I'd like to find another area like the Mountain Loop Highway we cached this summer.

Its an area that is remote, yet only an hour and a half from Seattle.

There is no cell coverage up there, few houses, a couple really small little towns, and hundreds of miles of hiking trails surrounding over a hundred of year of history.

There is an old ghost mining town up there called Monte Cristo that you can only get to by foot or bike.

Many caches on the road in, and at the townsite that explain the colorful history of the area.

The whole surrounding area is filled with interesting history. Everywhere you go there are caches that tell of the history and show you places.

There's a trailhead series that tell you what to expect from the trails their placed on.

There are many fire lookout towers with caches. (including a fire lookout tower challenge)

We found a nature trail we had never heard of even though we had been there countless times.

There's an old mine that the entrance is overgrown, and the sign removed. The only way we found it was because of the cache.

Theres caches at the ice caves, a beautiful hike!!!

And my very favorite is the multi cache with the coordinates painted on a rock at the back of a small (very safe) mine.

There are only nine states I haven't visited yet for a caching vacation. Of those, the places I most look forward to visiting for the first time include:

The Kenai peninsula in Alaska

The Colorado Rockies

South Dakota's Black Hills

The Yellowstone/Grand Teton region of Wyoming/Montana

There are other states where I've just nicked a small corner, crossing the border to add that state to my map. The places I most want to return to in order to fully experience what they have to offer include Florida, Vermont, and Arkansas/Missouri.

But if you made me pick just ONE spot... I never get tired of visiting Washington State. Hopefully I'll be able to make my fifth caching trip there someday soon.

Anyway, I would love to cache in Manhattan. May have a bit of trouble with Muggles though.

Believe it or not, less trouble than you'd think. Partly because there's a higher concentration of virtual caches, and partly because most people in that city are too busy to care about your business. And I suspect that over time, there is a natural selection process that weeds out the more noticeable caches.

Having found a few hundred caches on Manhattan Island, I have to agree. It's The City. Most people don't care what you are doing! I've climbed over a sleeping girl, plopped my backpack on the heels of a lady standing right next to the cache, checked a railing with hundreds of people walking by. Nobody ever saw a thing! (Oh, for the sleeping girl, I got the visiting cachers from Pennsylvania to point the other direction, and yell: LOOK AT THAT!) Not really that many Virtuals. Yes, caches do get muggled. There is a natural attrition. But some very good hides!

As to where I want to go... My brother invited me to Seattle. Someone just has to figure out how to get me on an airplane! Otherwise, I'll have to drive to Georgia, South Carolina, and Florida. Me a map ho?!? Picked up Virginia, North Carolina, Tennesseee, Kentucky and Ohio on a trip earlier this year!

Pre-geocaching I had traveled to every state and most every big city in the US, traveled in 18 countries and lived in 3.

While geocaching I've cached in 28 states and 2 countries... so far as I can tell ANYWHERE is a great place to cache! I wish that I had this game before I retired, while I was always on the road.

If I could cache anywhere tomorrow it would be Georgia in the US or offshore the UK or Australia.