MicroSd Map Card Questions

Hi

I just ordered my GPS, a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx but haven't reveived it yet. Being a total newbie I have a question about using a microsd map card such as City Navigator. When you use this card, can you still add waypoints to the card for geocaching? The specs on the Legend HCx says it does not have any internal memory so it would have to have a card to save information to. Hope the way I wrote the question makes sense. Thanks for any help!

The specs on the Legend HCx says it does not have any internal memory

That refers to memory of maps.

A prerecorded Garmin SD memory card with CN can be moved between GPSrs.

However, the data can not be viewed in MapSource, nor can any other map data be added to the card so that this additional data can be viewed with CN.

Unless you add them as POI files - there actually is internal memory in that unit for up to 1000 waypoints. You cannot put any addtional waypoints on the memory cards unless you convert to POi files.

I don't believe you can put anything extra on the map cards. I think they're ROM.

Even if you can, it might not be a smart idea. You can't backup and restore those cards so if you manage to screw it up you have to buy another one. If it's not read-only I would cerainly slide the switch on the side to make it read-only so I couldn't accidentally mess it up.

...ken...

Unless you add them as POI files - there actually is internal memory in that unit for up to 1000 waypoints. You cannot put any addtional waypoints on the memory cards unless you convert to POi files.

I don't believe you can put anything extra on the map cards. I think they're ROM.

Even if you can, it might not be a smart idea. You can't backup and restore those cards so if you manage to screw it up you have to buy another one. If it's not read-only I would cerainly slide the switch on the side to make it read-only so I couldn't accidentally mess it up.

...ken...

Actually you can back up the maps on the SD cards but they will only work on the original card! the original SD card has a code built in i believe.

If you do mess up the map on the card, you can over write it with the back up and you will have the maps back.

However you cant make a copy! unless you are really good :)

...ken...

Micro-SD cards don't have read only slide switches....

J

Micro-SD cards don't have read only slide switches....

Ooops, you're right. I never looked that close. I just assumed since the full-size card has one... a**/U/ME. So I popped one out of my Legend HCx to see and no switch. Shoulda figured ... no room for one on that teensy little thing.

One more reason I'll stick with the DVD version of maps and avoid the card version.

...ken...