Assistance in Merging tar map files ?

MrThom

What kind of maps are they.I thought .tar was a compression format not a map one.

Well good question and I do not know the answer.

Am using "GoogleMaps 2 Trekbuddy" which processes selected google maps and the result is a "tar" file that is then loaded to and read on my phone by the "TrekBuddy" application.

Want to take several of these "tar" files and combine them into one file to be viewed on the phone.

Those .tar files you are getting from that website are a tar file which contains a folder called set which contains all of the images and two files that deal with the calibration.You may be able use a tool like winrar to open these tar files and then copy all the images into one set folder and all the assciated .map and .set files and combine them all into one tar file.unfortunatey I currently do not have Java loaded onto my current phones to try this.

Would like any information on how to merge tar map files.

If you have two tar files, say, a.tar and b.tar, you can concatenate them using the "-A" command line option:

tar -Af a.tar b.tar

This will append the files (and their meta-information) in b.tar to the archive a.tar. You may want to work on a copy:

cp a.tar new.tar

tar -Af new.tar b.tar

You can list the contents of an archive produced by tar using the "-t" command line option:

tar -tf new.tar

What kind of maps are they.I thought .tar was a compression format not a map one.

Not exactly. tar (from "tape archive") is a program to collect several files into one, while keeping track of owners, groups, permissions, subdirectories, creation times, etc. Compression is another layer, though some versions of tar can pipe files through compression utilities like bzip.