FIRE station caches

8wheels

With my son Jackster Boy we seem to have stumbled across a gap in the cache market, Fire stations are plentiful enough but there are only a handful of caches relating to them. We've been busy around the Essex area and are planning to cover most of Essex in the next few months but I'd really like to see the FIRE series and FIre's Out (ex Fire Stations) expanded like the Sidetracked series.

There are some excellent unofficial websites about that give you loads of info about the stations and their equipment.

Our local station is Great Baddow http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1YJFQ all the others are listed on the cache page. Please take a look and if you place a FIRE or FIRE's Out cache let me know and I'll add it to the bookmark list.

Cheers

Sorry to disappoint but I do not think its a gap you have found in the cache market. I think someone beat you to it. There was a cacher somewhere on the south coast that had a set of fire station caches. I think it was around Poole way.

Ditto

Fudgeman started a Fire Station series around Bournemouth/Poole early last year

Oh goody.... another excuse for a load of soggy 35mm film pots to be dumped in the environment. :lol: If you want to visit fire stations and record your visit, why not set a Waymark thingy?

Wonder how long it will be before some fool wants to set up a series of Burger King caches :o

There's loads of space out there, I think it's high time somebody started a pot plant series.....

Why not let's go for hospitals, doctors surgerys, infant schools, junior school, senior schools, your local Spar or Co-op, public toilets, doggy doo bins in fact let us stick a 35 ml pot on every wheely bin in every street, because that is what caching is heading towards :lol:

Awesome idea Betty, just make the wheely bin the cache!!! Trash in, Trash out ;-)

J

Why not let's go for hospitals, doctors surgerys, infant schools, junior school, senior schools, your local Spar or Co-op, public toilets, doggy doo bins in fact let us stick a 35 ml pot on every wheely bin in every street, because that is what caching is heading towards :o

Awesome idea Betty, just make the wheely bin the cache!!! Trash in, Trash out ;-)

J

I was thinking more just drop the 35ml in the rubbish and forget them Fred :lol:

And so this thread has now been hijacked and is deteriorating into yet another anti micro rant that like a certain make of battery will 'go on and on and on'.

Micros that are just stuck anywhere annoy even me but if they are cleverly camo'd and sensibly hidden (NOT ivy covered trees) then they can be good.

So come on, be like a good DJ, change the flipping record!

Why not let's go for hospitals, doctors surgerys, infant schools, junior school, senior schools, your local Spar or Co-op, public toilets, doggy doo bins in fact let us stick a 35 ml pot on every wheely bin in every street, because that is what caching is heading towards :o

J

I was thinking more just drop the 35ml in the rubbish and forget them Fred :lol:

Betty, If you want to drop 35mm cans in the rubbish bin, I know this great website that lists the co-ordinates of where you'll find loads of 'em!

My next cache is going to be a Magnetic Nano, hidden in a Bison container, squeezed in a 35mm film can, squashed in a pepper pot from Tesco's, placed in a lock & lock tiny box, wedged in a lunch box, finally placed in an ammo can and hidden by a fire station behind a wheely bin... Just need to find a name for this series...

Fred.

Oooo... Ooo... I've got an idea...

Why don't we place caches in interesting places that at worth visiting? :-P

Don't be so daft, who would want to find those?

:lol:

Yes - I agree. If you're not careful people will start wanting to leave swaps and all sorts of tat in them - then where would we be :o

Why not let's go for hospitals, doctors surgerys, infant schools, junior school, senior schools, your local Spar or Co-op, public toilets, doggy doo bins in fact let us stick a 35 ml pot on every wheely bin in every street, because that is what caching is heading towards B)

J

Betty, If you want to drop 35mm cans in the rubbish bin, I know this great website that lists the co-ordinates of where you'll find loads of 'em!

My next cache is going to be a Magnetic Nano, hidden in a Bison container, squeezed in a 35mm film can, squashed in a pepper pot from Tesco's, placed in a lock & lock tiny box, wedged in a lunch box, finally placed in an ammo can and hidden by a fire station behind a wheely bin... Just need to find a name for this series...

Fred.

LMAO Fred :lol::lol::lol::o;)

Quick question what the 'ell is a pepperpot?...........not really a "pepper pot" is it? :sad:

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

Quick question what the 'ell is a pepperpot?...........not really a "pepper pot" is it? :o

I believe it is indeed a pot that contained, rather surprisingly, Pepper...

J

Here's one I hid earlier.. :lol::lol:

1002830_62c2440e.jpg

Sheesh I will have to go to Tesco and look for pepper pots and salt cellars and vinegar botlles, buggar the plastic lock and locks!!...........they are sooooooooo last year!! :sad:

Oh come on you lot....

If he wants to hide 35mm film pots near nice interesting fire stations let him.

It means he is not hiding ammo cans in the places you want to hide them in.

I was lucky enough to look for a micro on the outside of a disused Fire Station in Bournemouth in the summer, I can't remember whether i found it or not but i can remember the building. Surely that means something :lol:

With my son Jackster Boy we seem to have stumbled across a gap in the cache market, Fire stations are plentiful enough but there are only a handful of caches relating to them. We've been busy around the Essex area and are planning to cover most of Essex in the next few months but I'd really like to see the FIRE series and Fire's Out (ex Fire Stations) expanded like the Sidetracked series.

There are some excellent unofficial websites about that give you loads of info about the stations and their equipment.

Our local station is Great Baddow http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1YJFQ all the others are listed on the cache page. Please take a look and if you place a FIRE or FIRE's Out cache let me know and I'll add it to the bookmark list.

Cheers

Nice idea and I am still studying your original post for any mention of the dreaded word 'MICRO' and if any of the Anti Micro Brigade had looked they would have seen that the cache you inked to is not a micro but in fact a small box as are some of the others in the series. It is a shame your thread has been hijacked by the AMB, for no other reason other than to kick this venemous rant against micros off again and is now totally off topic.

You never know we might have some good stories about all the good old days before this game became popular and the ordinary mere mortals wanted to play, unlike the OLD TIME GODS who wish to make all the rules so as the game is only played their way or not played at all. When cachers drove for 50 miles and then hiked 20 miles just for the sight of one Ammo Box with the faintest sounds of Mary Hopkins singing 'Those were the days' in the background.

I shall most certainly be searching for some of your fire station caches when I am in that area next April.

Quite. It's a shame that people have to be this way.

What it is completely valid to say, though, is that the series will be better if you're discerning in choosing the locations... Placing a cache (of any size) outside every fire station in the area might not make for the best experience. On the other hand, if they're historic sites, or offer you an interesting view of something you don't normally see - and especially if there's some good information on the cache page - well, great :lol:

Best of luck with your series.

Cheers

Richard

From Edinburgh, birthplace of the professional fire service. Oh, all right - Paris might have beaten us to it by a year or so. But we don't talk about that.

Oh goody.... another excuse for a load of soggy 35mm film pots to be dumped in the environment. :lol: If you want to visit fire stations and record your visit, why not set a Waymark thingy?

Wonder how long it will be before some fool wants to set up a series of Burger King caches :o

ah so you would approve of those :sad:

consider the bookmark started

With my son Jackster Boy we seem to have stumbled across a gap in the cache market, Fire stations are plentiful enough but there are only a handful of caches relating to them. We've been busy around the Essex area and are planning to cover most of Essex in the next few months but I'd really like to see the FIRE series and Fire's Out (ex Fire Stations) expanded like the Sidetracked series.

Cheers

Nice idea and I am still studying your original post for any mention of the dreaded word 'MICRO' and if any of the Anti Micro Brigade had looked they would have seen that the cache you inked to is not a micro but in fact a small box as are some of the others in the series. It is a shame your thread has been hijacked by the AMB, for no other reason other than to kick this venemous rant against micros off again and is now totally off topic.

You never know we might have some good stories about all the good old days before this game became popular and the ordinary mere mortals wanted to play, unlike the OLD TIME GODS who wish to make all the rules so as the game is only played their way or not played at all. When cachers drove for 50 miles and then hiked 20 miles just for the sight of one Ammo Box with the faintest sounds of Mary Hopkins singing 'Those were the days' in the background.

I shall most certainly be searching for some of your fire station caches when I am in that area next April.

From what I can see there are only two posts in this thread slamming micros - as opposed to four from the pro micro team. That's not to say there aren't criticisms in here about excuses for poor cache placement - but that doesn't seem to be what you're complaining about.... :lol::o

Obviously our interpretation of anti micro posts are different.I just think that the anti micro thing has been over done recently. The attack started only 6 posts in and then followed by 8 or 9 similar postings which I think is a shame considering the OP only wanted to say something about a series that hes was compiling based near to fire stations.

Obviously our interpretation of anti micro posts are different.I just think that the anti micro thing has been over done recently. The attack started only 6 posts in and then followed by 8 or 9 similar postings which I think is a shame considering the OP only wanted to say something about a series that hes was compiling based near to fire stations.

Nobody in here's saying that micros don't have their place (note distinct lack of sarcasm or bin related humour) - but to some people Church Micro and Sidetracked are the most prominent series around - and in this neighbourhood, that means pick somewhere that fits the criteria and throw a film pot in the nearest (or in our case - not quite so nearest) hedge.

Perhaps that's down to the people that place the caches more than it is the series - but when you throw a series open to the world, you lose control of niceties like discretion, and eventually that's what you're going to get!

It only took a couple of film pots over a mile from the nearest church to sour the church micro series for me - let's hope one day somebody starts a series that requires "series owner approval" for listing to swing it back the other way.

Nobody in here's saying that micros don't have their place (note distinct lack of sarcasm or bin related humour) - but to some people Church Micro and Sidetracked are the most prominent series around - and in this neighbourhood, that means pick somewhere that fits the criteria and throw a film pot in the nearest (or in our case - not quite so nearest) hedge.

Perhaps that's down to the people that place the caches more than it is the series - but when you throw a series open to the world, you lose control of niceties like discretion, and eventually that's what you're going to get!

It only took a couple of film pots over a mile from the nearest church to sour the church micro series for me - let's hope one day somebody starts a series that requires "series owner approval" for listing to swing it back the other way.

They annoy me as well, I like to work on my micros and make them something different.

Would'nt dream of plonking them at the base of trees or fence posts even more so I would'nt put them out without some form of camo.

Couldnt believe the amount of them hidden on Dartmoor especially with hints like 'under rock' in an old quarry.

Quite agree there

Edited by DrDick&Vick

Some fire stations do have a lot of history behind them and I recall doing one not many miles from home that was on a very old fire station building that I never knew existed. Yes it was a micro granted but that was before Waymarking.com and it was a quick cache and dash.

Can I join the Sit on the Fence Micro Group?

Wife says "Size does matter to her". :lol::o

Some fire stations do have a lot of history behind them and I recall doing one not many miles from home that was on a very old fire station building that I never knew existed. Yes it was a micro granted but that was before Waymarking.com and it was a quick cache and dash.

Can I join the Sit on the Fence Micro Group?

Wife says "Size does matter to her". :lol::o

Indeed, if the station is of interest and/or a nice location, then most definately an ideal candidate for a cache in it's own right, why does it need to be made into a series?

J

Just to set things straight, I have placed a number of caches around local fire stations and have placed a few micros, a nano and a number of small containers large enough for trackables. If a fire station doesn't float your boat or you don't want to place one there fine, don't bother.

The thing that I enjoy about this lark is being able to find caches outside places that interest me, OK so I like fire stations, fire appliances and other similar stuff. It's not that particuarly odd. My kids enjoy looking for the caches and they are disappointed by not finding caches. So some are easy so are hard. It's something for everyone.

I just thought that if some other people placed a few it'd be something that had not really been done much before. I've seen the Fire Station series by Fudgeman, 5 caches, 2 active (on my bookmark) 2 disabled and 1 archived. It's hardly much of a series in it's own right so I'm not far off saying that no one else has really done it.

Thank you to those of you who like the idea and may support it, but I can't believe some of the rubbish posted here.

Ok. Time for me to jump onto this.

Yes, I started a series in and around Bournemouth based on fire stations :lol:

Yes, they are micros, but then as most fire stations are built in towns with the idea of being close to the built up areas they are protecting it's not always easy to find a place to put anything bigger than a micro.

I started the series because being a firefighter I'm interested in the history that goes with the job in the same way that some people are interested in the history of where they live or the geology of an area. The most recent addition to the series is a small cache placed by DorsetFireman with my help and is a simple offset cache.

Surely if we don't place a cache at a point that interests us (be it for the history, walk, view etc.) then there will be no caches placed anywhere. After all different things interest different people, if we were all the same life would be very dull.

Yes. 2 of mine are disabled and 1 is archived but having lost over 20 caches to a group intent on removing all caches in the area I'm having trouble getting out there to replace them when they go, but then with nearly 50 active caches it takes a lot of work even when people are not taking them for fun.

Edited by Fudgeman

Just to set things straight, I have placed a number of caches around local fire stations and have placed a few micros, a nano and a number of small containers large enough for trackables. If a fire station doesn't float your boat or you don't want to place one there fine, don't bother.

The thing that I enjoy about this lark is being able to find caches outside places that interest me, OK so I like fire stations, fire appliances and other similar stuff. It's not that particuarly odd. My kids enjoy looking for the caches and they are disappointed by not finding caches. So some are easy so are hard. It's something for everyone.

I just thought that if some other people placed a few it'd be something that had not really been done much before. I've seen the Fire Station series by Fudgeman, 5 caches, 2 active (on my bookmark) 2 disabled and 1 archived. It's hardly much of a series in it's own right so I'm not far off saying that no one else has really done it.

Thank you to those of you who like the idea and may support it, but I can't believe some of the rubbish posted here.

Apologies if you don’t feel mine is much of a series but I’ve tried to concentrate on researching the history of the fire station to make it an interesting cache instead of just having a picture on the cache page with the name of the station under it.

Edited by Fudgeman

Well said Fudgeman

For the record yours were the only that I did find whilst looking for others to see if anyone else had done something similar. I was surprised there wasn't any and started a bookmark list. I'd like to see it grow, screw the others who aren't interested.

Why people post so much about something that is of no interest to them is beyond me. If someone were to create a sewage works series good luck to them, I'd not got looking for them but I wouldn't drag the soapbox out and start ranting on to all and sundry.

Good luck with your caches, from the log reports I get it seems like they are well received.

Apologies if you don’t feel mine is much of a series but I’ve tried to concentrate on researching the history of the fire station to make it an interesting cache instead of just having a picture on the cache page with the name of the station under it.

Well said Fudgeman

For the record yours were the only that I did find whilst looking for others to see if anyone else had done something similar. I was surprised there wasn't any and started a bookmark list. I'd like to see it grow, screw the others who aren't interested.

Why people post so much about something that is of no interest to them is beyond me. If someone were to create a sewage works series good luck to them, I'd not got looking for them but I wouldn't drag the soapbox out and start ranting on to all and sundry.

Good luck with your caches, from the log reports I get it seems like they are well received.

ignore the moaners, near London there are church micro lists longer then my hair, coal post lists almost as long just to name a few. I don't hear anyone moaning about those, while 99% are micros. And prolly 99% of the moaners in range has done one or more.

do what you like, I like big boxes but i appreciate series that are well maintained and target something specific.

GL with yer series :lol:

Edited by Ryuchan

From your writings I see you are all very much enthusiastic fire station/fire fighting people. When you have a passion for what you are doing, the quality will shine through. The problem I see here is when you open this up as a series and start to encourage others to continue the fine work you have started, things often go to snot :lol:

Without sharing your passion for the subject, others will just place caches for the sake of it. I.E. A fire station without a cache means they must put one there, irrespective of if it's a place worth visiting or of any significance. These less well thought out caches then give yours a bad name, and very soon it's assumed that all of the series is the same. Thus the impression of them all being micro's wedged behind street signs that dogs pee up. Not only does your precious series become tainted, but the humble 35mm film can also get's itself a bad reputation. :sad:

A local cacher to me has put out a fantastic series of caches, all well placed and sized to suit the location, brilliant! Just recently it has been expanded upon by others and what do we get? Two magnetic nano's placed in the sort of places that you spend all your life telling your kids not to go sticking their hands! :o

I hope you the best in your series, but very much suggest you keep control of the series. Place them yourselves in places you know are interesting and worthwhile.

Now... I must go back to watching various parts of my house get blown away in these gales! :lol:

J

Oh goody.... another excuse for a load of soggy 35mm film pots to be dumped in the environment. :) If you want to visit fire stations and record your visit, why not set a Waymark thingy?

Wonder how long it will be before some fool wants to set up a series of Burger King caches :D

Ah yet again assumptions being the mother of all f*ck-ups!

All of the FIRE series are anything but 35mm micros, but then why let something like checking the facts get in the way of a generalised sweeping statement.

Why dump anything in the environment in fact why cache at all?

Oh goody.... another excuse for a load of soggy 35mm film pots to be dumped in the environment. :) If you want to visit fire stations and record your visit, why not set a Waymark thingy?

Wonder how long it will be before some fool wants to set up a series of Burger King caches :D

Ah yet again assumptions being the mother of all f*ck-ups!

All of the FIRE series are anything but 35mm micros, but then why let something like checking the facts get in the way of a generalised sweeping statement.

Why dump anything in the environment in fact why cache at all?

goodpostingsign.gif

Why not let's go for hospitals, doctors surgerys, infant schools, junior school, senior schools, your local Spar or Co-op, public toilets, doggy doo bins in fact let us stick a 35 ml pot on every wheely bin in every street, because that is what caching is heading towards :lol:

I don't mean to pick you out, but I've not worked out how to multiquote and it's 3am. As far as I agree partially to what you're saying, YES, there are a lot more 35mm caches around.

HOWEVER there is an also INCREASING number of HIGH QUALITY LARGE caches. I for one will never plant a micro unless there is a valid reason for having such a small cache, it is my aim to always plant the biggest funest (yes that is a real word, shut up) cache I can. I know for sure, that there are other people who have this philosophy. I'm tired of people moaning about s***e micros all over the place. If it really matters, don't go and find micro caches! Lead by example, and get out there setting "good" caches. Some people just don't know any better. Adopt a newbie and lead by example.

[/rant]

I think this is a brilliant idea, I'm going to talk to my local stations and ask if I can stash an ammo box at each one.

I don't mean to pick you out, but I've not worked out how to multiquote and it's 3am. As far as I agree partially to what you're saying, YES, there are a lot more 35mm caches around.

HOWEVER there is an also INCREASING number of HIGH QUALITY LARGE caches. I for one will never plant a micro unless there is a valid reason for having such a small cache, it is my aim to always plant the biggest funest (yes that is a real word, shut up) cache I can. I know for sure, that there are other people who have this philosophy. I'm tired of people moaning about s***e micros all over the place. If it really matters, don't go and find micro caches! Lead by example, and get out there setting "good" caches. Some people just don't know any better. Adopt a newbie and lead by example.

[/rant]

I think this is a brilliant idea, I'm going to talk to my local stations and ask if I can stash an ammo box at each one.

I suspect that many posters are effectively of the same opinion, even though it may not look like it! Mandy is objecting to micros flung out for the sake of it, generally in a pointless location. Generally, if a location is worthwhile and all that can be placed is a micro, there is less of an issue.

You have the right idea in planting the biggest and or funnest cache you can. At the end of the day, that is all anyone wants!

Regarding fire stations in particular, if its a worthwhile location in its own right, then place a cache. The difficulty with such series (which is a shame) is that others feel obliged to place one at EVERY station, which isn't necessary.

Regarding fire stations in particular, if its a worthwhile location in its own right, then place a cache. The difficulty with such series (which is a shame) is that others feel obliged to place one at EVERY station, which isn't necessary.

Yup, what PP says! It's these un-necessary caches that then drag the perceived quality of the rest of the series down.

Jon.

Wonder how long it will be before some fool wants to set up a series of Burger King caches :)

How about a series in honour of all the grumpy old gits on the forums :D

Better a 35mm film pot than a waymark IMO!

Why not let's go for hospitals, doctors surgerys, infant schools, junior school, senior schools, your local Spar or Co-op, public toilets, doggy doo bins in fact let us stick a 35 ml pot on every wheely bin in every street, because that is what caching is heading towards :)

[/rant]

I suspect that many posters are effectively of the same opinion, even though it may not look like it! Mandy is objecting to micros flung out for the sake of it, generally in a pointless location. Generally, if a location is worthwhile and all that can be placed is a micro, there is less of an issue.

You have the right idea in planting the biggest and or funnest cache you can. At the end of the day, that is all anyone wants!

Exactly, I am pleased folks can word thing better than me :)

Speaking for ourselves personally we do very little caching in towns and city centres because we have Jess so for us we go out for a walk look for a cache and give Jess a run out too, killing two birds with one stone :D

What I also understand are there older people, people with babies and even disabled people who could not possibly do the caches we do, so for them the city centres are their kind of caching, each to their own I have no problem with that at all, but there has to be something of interest there or a nice view or some history. ;)

What I do have a problem with is folks chucking out caches, I will quickly add ANY size of cache just for the hell of it, I have found micros/tupperware boxes caches in great places with beautiful scenery or interesting history and thought wow this is fab, but it also works the other way round I have found micros/tupperware boxes and thought ......... Why?.........Just WHY!! :(

I also agree we should lead by example, another old argument I think is right ........... If the first 20 caches you find are in crap then you will think that is the norm and set crap caches, but then again what is crap to me might be wonderful to you, after five years of caching we only started using our ignore button this summer, we are not ignoring one or two caches we are ignoring caching teams and won't do anything by them at all as we have learnt the hard way, when you have been in the game a few years you know what kind of caches each team set, some set for less abled people, some set for doggy walkers some set impossible puzzles, you live and learn if you don't want to do the cache dont do it.........SIMPLES!!

We have (OMG I don't know how many cahces we have to be honest) several :laughing: caches I don't think any of them are 35mm pots I could be wrong as I have not checked through them, I am sure someone will prove me wrong as usual :P but we do have a set of 20 nanos on mining memorials in the area, I thought it was very interesting I did loads of research into every pit in all 20 of the villages!! Others think they are naff!!

I think my own personal gripe with 35mm pots is that they are simply not waterproof, and they taste nice to rats/mice and whatever else has been nibbling at them before I pick them up, you can almost guarantee if you find a 35mm pot that has been in place for a few months and the log is not in a little bag then it is going to be soggy mush :D

Each to their own play how you want to play, I think there are so many caches around we can now all be choosy about what we do, which only has to be a good thing :D

I got an email a couple of weeks back telling me one of my caches was 6 foot out so you don't want to be looking for my caches ;):):)

Mandy :D

Edited by Us 4 and Jess