Droid and Geocaching

neisserj1

A question about "Droid".. Isn't "Droid" (as the name is being used here) just a reference to a particular model of a new smartphone, that is running the Android operating system?

If so, how is the "Droid" smartphone any different from any other smartphone that is also running Android?

..just curious :lol:

Edited by NordicMan

There are currently two Android phones on the market with the word "Droid" in the name: The Motorola Droid and the HTC Droid Eris (both on the Verizon network). At the present time, the Motorola Droid is the only phone which is running the Android version 2.0 operating system while all the other Android phones are running v.1.5 and 1.6.

But this will allegedly change soon. HTC has said unequivocally that they will be releasing an Android v.2.0 update for the Sprint HTC Hero "soon" and the Verizon Droid Eris is basically the same phone, so my guess is both will get the v.2.0 update.

Clear as mud?

Pete

There are currently two Android phones on the market with the word "Droid" in the name: The Motorola Droid and the HTC Droid Eris (both on the Verizon network). At the present time, the Motorola Droid is the only phone which is running the Android version 2.0 operating system while all the other Android phones are running v.1.5 and 1.6.

But this will allegedly change soon. HTC has said unequivocally that they will be releasing an Android v.2.0 update for the Sprint HTC Hero "soon" and the Verizon Droid Eris is basically the same phone, so my guess is both will get the v.2.0 update.

Clear as mud?

Pete

Thanks for the info Curioddity that's plenty clear (as mud :D )

So,,,, Android 2.0 must make v1.5 & 1.6 obsolete, right? Why would anyone buy an (older) Android O/S phone that wasn't upgradable? It'd be kinda like buying a PC that isn't Vista/7 compatible..

Thanks for the info Curioddity that's plenty clear (as mud :D )

So,,,, Android 2.0 must make v1.5 & 1.6 obsolete, right? Why would anyone buy an (older) Android O/S phone that wasn't upgradable? It'd be kinda like buying a PC that isn't Vista/7 compatible..

The phones are upgradable, you upgrade the phone you have to Android to 2.0.

Phones are locked by the cellular company which sells them and you can only upgrade to the latest OS IF that carrier lets you. In the case of the Sprint Hero, HTC (the phone's manufacturer) will offer the upgrade and Sprint has agreed to let us have it. In fact, the rumor on the wireless boards is that HTC is done with the upgrade and has already turned it over to Sprint for testing. I'm only guessing that Verizon will follow suit with the Droid Eris because it's the same phone built for a different carrier and they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't follow suit.

But not all carriers use the same user interface (UI) for the Android OS. HTC uses what it calls the Sense UI in it's Android phones and Sense adds features to and improves the usability of the Android OS. But many phone manufacturers use a "plain vanilla" verson of their OS which is basically "bare-bones Android." The Motorola Droid is an example of this. It may be the first Android 2.0 phone, but it uses a plain vanilla verson of the OS.

It's a hotly-debated topic, but many respected reviewers and users claim that the HTC Android v.1.5 with the Sense UI is better than the plain vanilla Android v.2.0, but there are also purists who insist that plain vanilla is better and technogeeks who can't possibly be satisfied with anything but the latest and greatest that are rabidly arguing otherwise. But HTC will incorporate it's Sense UI into the v.2.0 update so that should give Hero and Droid Eris users the best of both worlds.

And there's yet another angle to all of this: The Android v.1.5 for most phones has been Rooted (jailbroken or hacked) which basically allows the user to have a level of control over the OS which the phone manufacturers and cellular companies never intended. It took the DEV gurus about 3 weeks to find the exploit currently being used to root the Sprint Hero and there's no guarantee that they'll have the same luck with v.2.0. Consequently, there are plenty of v.1.5 users who will have no interest whatsoever in any upgrade until they're sure that the new version can be rooted too.

Pete (stirring up the murky waters)

So is the GeoBeagle or the Cache mate better?

I need to qualify what I'm about to write first: I use GeoBeagle on my Hero but I have no hands-on experience with CacheMate. What I do know about that program comes from the program developer's information and reviews and reports in this and other online forums.

Both GeoBeagle and Cachemate do basically the same thing quite well, but CacheMate seems to be a bit more polished and has a few more sort and filter options when dealing with large PQ files containing lots of caches. So why would anyone even consider GeoBeagle? Well it's free while CacheMate is going to cost you around 10 bux.

GeoBeagle works great for me, but I'll never be loading a database of caches (PQs) into my phone. The only time I'll be using my phone to geocache with will be when I receive a new cache notification while I'm out in the field because GeoBeagle will let me go from the notification email to a compass arrow lock on GZ in just a couple of clicks. CacheMate apparently does too, but I don't see much sense in paying for that capability when the free app does it so well too. And as for my normal everyday caching I have an Oregon 400t and a nuvi 500 and I don't plan on replacing either with my phone.

My sense (in a nutshell) on this is: If you plan on using your Android phone as your primary geocaching tool then you may want to consider spending the bux and get CacheMate, but if you only plan on using your phone to suppliment a dedicated GPSr, then GeoBeagle will probably work just fine for you.

But do yourself and all of the rest of us Android device users a favor: Never miss an opportunity to bug geocaching.com for an official mobile app for the Android like they offer for the iPhone. Unfortunately, that would be a bad thing for the authors of GeoBeagle and CacheMate, but it would be a great thing for us geocachers with Android devices.

Do the apps mentioned above work on the T-Moble MyTouch?

I just spent about 5 minutes trying to discover what version of Android the MyTouch/Magic runs but it seems to be a closely kept secret. :D But my guess is it runs v.1.5 but that's a guess. Anyway, if it runs v.1.5 then both GeoBeagle and CacheMate should run on it. One way to tell is log on to the Android Marketplace from your phone and search for "geocaching". The Marketplace is supposed to be able to tell what phone you're using and only show you the apps which will work on your phone.

Pete

And there's yet another angle to all of this: The Android v.1.5 for most phones has been Rooted (jailbroken or hacked) which basically allows the user to have a level of control over the OS which the phone manufacturers and cellular companies never intended. It took the DEV gurus about 3 weeks to find the exploit currently being used to root the Sprint Hero and there's no guarantee that they'll have the same luck with v.2.0. Consequently, there are plenty of v.1.5 users who will have no interest whatsoever in any upgrade until they're sure that the new version can be rooted too.

Pete (stirring up the murky waters)

I am looking at buying a Droid from Verizon to complement my Oregon 400T as well as to get into my first smart phone. Please explain what Rooted, jailbroken or hacked means and how would this benefit me? I might be a bit soft in the head but I'm doing OK. Thanks!

I am looking at buying a Droid from Verizon to complement my Oregon 400T as well as to get into my first smart phone. Please explain what Rooted, jailbroken or hacked means and how would this benefit me? I might be a bit soft in the head but I'm doing OK. Thanks!

Let me explain the term "bricked" first: That word is widely understood to mean FUBAR (<-click the word if you don't know what that means) and rooting a phone enables all kinds of new ways to brick it. In essence, it removes the safety net so for all practical purposes, if you don't already know what rooting a phone means then you probably shouldn't go there.

And on top of that, this isn't the right forum to be discussing it. Your best bet is a forum dedicated to Android phones. My personal favorites are androidforums.com and androidcommunity.com/forums/ but there are lots more to choose from.

Pete

The Droid will probably not be Rooted until the source code for 2.0 comes out in a little while. But it will not be too long after that when it happens...

Google released the source code for 2.0 the day before yesterday and it's already been ported to the T-Mobile G1. Not sure yet what new things happened today, though.

Pete

My boss just showed me his Droid phone today and it looks pretty cool.

I have been wanting to get an Iphone because of all the cool things I have heard about the geocaching app for Iphone.

SO the big question on my mind is how th Google geocaching Apps compare to the IPHONe geocaching app.

Up until now I have not been willing to spend an extra $30 a month for a data plan (on top of my regular cell bill) but it looks like my work may be willing to pay so I may be shopping very soon

I was leaning towards Iphone but that was before I heard about the Droid phones

Well, the iPhone app sounds quite a nice. But the biggest weakness of that whole platform is the precision of the GPS signal.. For example I hear it often that you should NOT use an iPhone if trying to figure out coordinates for a new cache hide.

That doesn't sound to me like something I want to invest in, and I kinda doubt that is an issue Apple/iPhone can "fix" as simply as pushing out a patch...

How truly accurate are Droid phones? Saying "really accurate" doesn't quantify it's performance lol

Well, the iPhone app sounds quite a nice. But the biggest weakness of that whole platform is the precision of the GPS signal.. For example I hear it often that you should NOT use an iPhone if trying to figure out coordinates for a new cache hide.

That doesn't sound to me like something I want to invest in, and I kinda doubt that is an issue Apple/iPhone can "fix" as simply as pushing out a patch...

How truly accurate are Droid phones? Saying "really accurate" doesn't quantify it's performance lol

I just did a comparison of my old trusty Garmin Etrex Vista and Droid side by side letting them both sit for 5 minutes in full view of the sky. Both showed 8 birds in use. I calculate a difference of just under 3.5 ft (1.049m) x/y and a difference in 13 ft altitude. I would say the Motorola Droid GPS is accurate as any GPS navigation device on the market I have seen.

ETrex / Droid

-114 58.813 / -114 58.81232

36 0.098 / 36 0.09813

2328ft msl / 2341ft msl

I just spent about 5 minutes trying to discover what version of Android the MyTouch/Magic runs but it seems to be a closely kept secret. :lol: But my guess is it runs v.1.5 but that's a guess.

The MyTouch 3g run 1.6. Before I sold my MT3G and went back to the G1, I was able to run both GeoBeagle and GeoDroid on it with great success. I will admit, however that lately I've been using SmittyWares CacheMate and been a bit happier with it, though that may also have to do with the fact that I like new toys.

That said, I can'y until Cyanogen releases a 2.0 based ROM. I know he's slowly started working on it, though it will be a bit. I suppose that is why his ROMs tend to be more stable than nearly anything else you find on XDA.

If anyone is writing software for the droid what would be great is if an app could be designed as a layer in Google maps so that you can search for caches on the fly without downloading the GPX files on to the unit thanks Joe

Seriously... GeoBeagle sux royally. Inaccurate, very difficult to navigate and report finds.

Geocache Navigator is a NEED for Android OS. Android is here to stay as is Geocaching. We need the Best not a second rate crappy program.

Call Trimble Outdoors and request an Android version of Geocache Navigator. The Tech told me if they have more request, they would be more likely to put one out.

Phone: 1-800-773-5996

Email: support@GeocacheNavigator.com

If anyone is writing software for the droid what would be great is if an app could be designed as a layer in Google maps so that you can search for caches on the fly without downloading the GPX files on to the unit thanks Joe

I just downloaded SimpleGPX and it works with Google Maps

I just downloaded SimpleGPX and it works with Google Maps

Just looked on Marketplace and a google of 'droid simplegpx' with no success. Where does one find SimpleGPX?

So.... I've tried CacheMate, GeOrg and GeoBeagle on a Droid. All handle gpx file inport reasonably well. However, it would really be nice to just do a "show me the caches near where I'm standing" operation. As near as I can tell, none of these apps handle that well. Some (all?) query gc.com via a web browser, select caches and attempt to download a .loc file for those caches. However, I always end up with a .aspx (active server page?) file rather than a .loc file.

And I'ved tried the "closest 50 caches" app. It sorta/kinda works if sat reception is very good, but fails to make use of position data from the cell towers and is just plain flaky.

Anyone solved this annoying behavior?

Thanks!

These apps open a web browser to the gc.com gc search page and kick off a search based on the phone's current location. Then the user just needs to make a few clicks and the download the .loc file. Unfortunately, it looks like the various Android web browsers all choke while doing this. So..... I was hoping the problem had been solved in some other way.

Doesn't seem like any of this would violate Groundspeak's TOS, but what do I know?

Seriously... GeoBeagle sux royally. Inaccurate, very difficult to navigate and report finds.

Geocache Navigator is a NEED for Android OS. Android is here to stay as is Geocaching. We need the Best not a second rate crappy program.

Call Trimble Outdoors and request an Android version of Geocache Navigator. The Tech told me if they have more request, they would be more likely to put one out.

Phone: 1-800-773-5996

Email: support@GeocacheNavigator.com

Yeah, no way I'm paying a monthly fee for a program like Geocache Navigator. It's truly a service for people with more money than brains. I'd pay for a program like that, maybe $20 tops. But a monthly fee? No way.

The way I see it, once the official app comes out it will be the yard stick of geocaching apps. If any unofficial app could never do what the real one should, live searches logging, without violating the TOU.

Mean while, it would be nice to have all these android discussions in one forum wouldn't you say? Like the way the iphone has their own forum. (This is a unique message. Better, Robert?)

I have the HTC Droid Eris which I use all the time for caching. [Endorsement of unauthorized application removed by moderator.]

Hey! what was removed from this post????

Because any discussion of any application which Groundspeak does not approve of is not allowed.

Would love to see the Iphone GS app on the Android... Puh-leeeeze?

Won't ever happen. Applications written for iPhone can't run on Android, and the latest version of the iPhone SDK developer agreement essentially prohibits developers from writing cross-platform apps or porting apps from other platforms to iPhone easily.

Won't ever happen. Applications written for iPhone can't run on Android, and the latest version of the iPhone SDK developer agreement essentially prohibits developers from writing cross-platform apps or porting apps from other platforms to iPhone easily.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=239192

"An Android Geocaching app" is very different from "the iPhone Geocaching app on Android." The exact same app will not appear on both devices.

"An Android Geocaching app" is very different from "the iPhone Geocaching app on Android." The exact same app will not appear on both devices.

Obviously it won't be an iPhone app. But if they start with the iPhone apps features as requirements for the Android app, and utilize many of the elements of the UI, then I'd consider it a port. Changes will be necessary, obviously.

Yikes, where is that documented? I haven't heard about that in the Android community yet. Seems it would have some significant repercussions.

Yikes, where is that documented? I haven't heard about that in the Android community yet. Seems it would have some significant repercussions.

Section 3.3.1 of the iPhone OS 4.0 SDK license agreement.

I think that is more to protect the Android than the iPhone.

I think that is more to protect the Android than the iPhone.

Apple changed their license to protect an up and coming competitor? That makes no sense. Apple looks out for Apple and no one else. It's primarily a shot against Adobe, but lots of other developers are collateral damage.

Apple changed their license to protect an up and coming competitor? That makes no sense. Apple looks out for Apple and no one else. It's primarily a shot against Adobe, but lots of other developers are collateral damage.

Sorry the sarcasm slipped by. iPhone has no worries about Android, in particular the Droid, taking much if anything from them. It would be akin to taking a V8 and putting a straight 4 in it.

Having use both since I had no choice since my employer was the one selling the iPhone, having used the Droid the only thing that has held it back from far surpassing the iPhone is the business market as one of the few shortcomings is it not having a native conduit to MS Outlook.

So do geobeagle or cachemate have anything where is will show you caches around you like if your out traveling? That would be quite handy.

Thanks

I have used CacheMate to cache paperless with my Palm phone for years. Most people use CacheMate with gpx files to be able to cache paperless. You still need a gpx file to load into it. Unless there is a feature that I am totally unaware of I do not think that you can use CacheMate to go to a brand new area and search for caches over a wireless network.

I totally agree! I love my Droid but am leaning toward the iPhone just because of the geocaching simplicity.