Earthcache names

Carbon Hunter

I'll look at our finds, but our favorite names from our EC list are:

1. In A Geological Stew (GC1YHAR) Double meaning: variety of rocks as in a "stew" and finding them could cause you to be in a "Stew"

2. The Devil's Sinkholes (GC1X36Q) because its located on Route 666 according the the Bible, the number 666 is supposed to be a sign of the devil!

3. Our personal favorite is: What A Nice Gneiss Cache (GC1RX7Y) this is a play on words with the often mispronounced word gneiss (nice)???

I'm sure there are much better out there. Where we have the most fun is adding a hint to our ECs. Usually they are supposed to be funny or it is our lame attempt at being funny. :):););):D

Hey - I also have "A really Gneiss earthcache"

I hope I didn't steal the title from you. Honest to god, I didn't know. I also hope you don't have a copyright on the title? ;)

Speaking of titles, I have to share a fun time Papafuz and I had trying to get an traditional cache named.

I'll try to keep the story short. Here goes: when hunting many, many years ago, in a deeply forested area, I discovered four small buildings beside the road. Each was a duplex and had old mattress springs inside of each. After checking around, I discovered that these buildings were part of series of brothels (whore houses) that were in business in the thirties and forties.

The nicer of the four buildings was supposed to be the home/office of the madam! One of the buildings is in remarkably good shape. It is a log cabin style with a chimney for a wood burning stove. At the time I took Papafuz back to find the buildings it was in July and would you believe beside one of the shacks was a large black cherry tree! After making several crude remarks about the tree and its implications, we ate some of the wonderfully sweet cherries.

We submitted the name of "The Best Little Whorehouse in Virginia" after the movie "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" starring Dolly Pardon and Burt Reynolds. The funny part is when the reviewer suggested that a 5 year old might ask, "Daddy, what is a whorehouse?" and that perhaps brothel may be less offensive word!

Like the same 5 year old wouldn't ask, "Daddy, what is a brothel?" Go figure! :)

For your viewing pleasure go see: Best Little Brothel in Virginia (GC1EHDP) and notice what the background photo is. It came from the movie! :)

P.S. To Carbon Hunter: I just read your EC page and a lovely one it is, but my lawyer tells me that I "changed" the title of our EC enough so that you cannot claim copyright infringment! ;)

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

I enjoy the names of caches and have gone out of my way to find otherwise boring caches (such as another lamp post hide) that have a fun name that might inspire a log entry. Some of my own traditional caches have names drawn from mythology or fantasy. But the earthcache names have been rather basic: Keyhoe Beach, the Fault at Bright Angel, the Serpentine of Angel Island. Perhaps that is because its hard to work myth or fantasy into geology. But this thread might inspire me to do better.

I enjoy the names of caches and have gone out of my way to find otherwise boring caches (such as another lamp post hide) that have a fun name that might inspire a log entry. Some of my own traditional caches have names drawn from mythology or fantasy. But the earthcache names have been rather basic: Keyhoe Beach, the Fault at Bright Angel, the Serpentine of Angel Island. Perhaps that is because its hard to work myth or fantasy into geology. But this thread might inspire me to do better.

Hee hee - I like playing with words - :)

I saw:

1) Not the Angel's Fault

2) The Angel and the Sepent(ine)

:D

I'm enjoying these names and the creativity that went into them. A friend has one titled Subterranean Slug Fest, and it highlights fossil trails of prehistoric slug-like critters in Winona sandstone.

But the earthcache names have been rather basic: Keyhoe Beach, the Fault at Bright Angel, the Serpentine of Angel Island. Perhaps that is because its hard to work myth or fantasy into geology.

Maybe not as hard as you'd think. There is an actual area of study, called "geomythology," which looks at the legends surrounding geological formations and phenomenona. I had a better link at one time passed along among my storytelling community, but this one shares the basic stuff.

http://sp.lyellcollection.org/cgi/reprint/273/1/1.pdf

Among storytellers, this concept surfaced not too long after the tragic tsunami in southeast Asia. Apparently the Moken, or sea people at "ground zero," all survived, because their oral tradition told of events that signal the arrival of such a catastrophic event, and they sought higher ground in time.

Now you've got me thinking.....what's around my neck of the woods that has some geomythology associated with it AND is a cool geological feature?

Edited by Trekkin' and birdin'

I have two Earthcaches and plan on more as locations and topics present themselves. I try to give them catchy names and I put a fair amount of thought into the names .

One is called, "Ya Got To Know When to Holdem,Know When To Fold em..."

Guess what? It is about geologic folding.

The other is called, "Meguma and the Man"

This is a cache in honour of a friend. He was the first geologist who proposed the theory that eastern Canada (Nova Scotia) was connected with Northern Africa (Morocco).