Pocket Queries (how often should they be run?)

journey4truth

Lo all,

I think I finally got a handle on my pocket queries. I have 4 altogether which combined together has been able to compile 99.9 percent of all the active caches within 32-90 miles of me (about 2000).

I'm not sure how often I should run these queries though. Currently I have it set to run them once every Wednesday and Saturday, but I'm wondering if once a week would be more than sufficient. On the days it runs I only have one pocket query left to play with, so running them only once a week would give me more wiggle room to run other kinds of queries, such as route taking queries for when I travel outside my local zone.

What do you think?

I run them every couple of weeks or so, or before I'm going on a "major" hunt (defined as more than 5 geocaches in my case). In between, I keep track of new, disabled and archived geocaches through notifications.

I separate the geocaches nearby by placed date, so to pick up new geocaches, I merely need to run the newest PQ instead of the full set of 9.

Edited by Chrysalides

anybody having trouble getting their pocket queries??? I am trying to get my update and it won't send...been trying for 2 days now! Got my query for my travel last week, but can't get my profile update one now.

I'm not sure what you mean but your "profile update" pocket query. If you're talking about the "My Finds" query you can execute by selecting the "Add to Queue" button, you can only run that once a week.

I have several different PQs that I run on different days, typically on a weekly basis. I don't have more than 2 queries that run on a specific day of the week so I've also got a "Recently Placed" query set up that I can run at any time, and in a few minutes, get a download of the 50 most recently placed (in the past week) caches.

anybody having trouble getting their pocket queries??? I am trying to get my update and it won't send...been trying for 2 days now! Got my query for my travel last week, but can't get my profile update one now.

I'm not sure what you mean but your "profile update" pocket query. If you're talking about the "My Finds" query you can execute by selecting the "Add to Queue" button, you can only run that once a week.

I have several different PQs that I run on different days, typically on a weekly basis. I don't have more than 2 queries that run on a specific day of the week so I've also got a "Recently Placed" query set up that I can run at any time, and in a few minutes, get a download of the 50 most recently placed (in the past week) caches.

I am having the same issue with "My Finds" - have been trying since yesterday and nothing happens when I select "Add to Queue" - I have done it once before and after hitting the button, it grayed out. No such luck this time! It has been longer than 1 week since I successfully did this

Yeah, I was talking about "my finds"....I haven't run it since 10/18, so it's not from doing it too soon. I've been getting them every week for about a year...so I'm not new to it. Nothing in my profile has changed...email, etc....it's all as it has been. I have tried to get my query for 3 days now and it's not coming through....not even saying on my page that's it's been run since 10/18.

I am having the same issue with "My Finds" - have been trying since yesterday and nothing happens when I select "Add to Queue" - I have done it once before and after hitting the button, it grayed out. No such luck this time! It has been longer than 1 week since I successfully did this

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one having trouble with this then. Mine doesn't always gray out, but I always have the email within a few minutes. Each day as I try to get one, the date/time the last was sent is still the same...10/18.

We usually run them just before going out on a caching run. Not really much point in slowing down the system with unnecessary PQ requests when you really don't need them. If a FTF opportunity comes up and I don't want to/or have time to run a PQ I'll just write down the coordinate and manually enter it.

What do you think?

Here's how I do it...

I have one PQ that runs twice a week... That one covers the 500 caches nearest to my home... this extends out a few miles. I have this one running automatically because if I'm doing some spur-of-the-moment cacheing, It's usually near home for at least some of the day.

I also have 20 or so PQs set up for specific tasks.

Two types I will run occasionally on an on-demand basis. Since I hardly ever run them they are high-priority and get run almost immediately.

-Many are for nearby areas

-some are for trips

...and a few are for complex searches that I always use in "preview" mode and never actually run. I have one for "Hardest caches", "Large Caches" and "Never found caches"... I might have a few others I can't recall.

Some people like to get their 75000 caches per month... That's just not useful for me. Especially when Groundspeak will send me the PQs in less then 5 min every single time I ask for them.