I tried, really, I tried

JustJackMN

I tried once again to load the caches in my Garmin Etrex Venture HC. First, never did figure out how to put them as caches instead of waypoints, and then, all I got was the cache number and name.......no difficulty rating, no terrain rating, just the coordinates. I did not like the arrow, much rather read the coordinates. It's back to printing out the caches I'm interested in and carrying the page along with my gpsr and other tools.

Your unit is not a paperless unit, therefore you can not load the cache information into the unit. All you can load is waypoints. If you use GSAK you can spice up the name a bit with some diff/terr info. To do paperless caching with that unit you need a PDA. A palm M500 is about $25.

Jim

I have a Garmin GPS 80 MIL. It's not fancy, and that's OK. I load the coordinates in (By "load" I mean "Type in painstakingly by hand") and give it a simple, six-figure alphanumeric name (or ya kno, whtevr). The beauty of my simple machine is that I can toggle between the pointy arrow and a location reading fairly easily. I just go back to the waypoint list to see where I'm supposed to be and compare it with where I am. The only drawback is I can't load difficulty ratings or clues.

P.S. I'm primarily paperless, and it makes for a very interesting hunt with no clues or ratings

Edited by Butterfly Fox

I have a Garmin GPS 80 MIL. It's not fancy, and that's OK. I load the coordinates in (By "load" I mean "Type in painstakingly by hand") and give it a simple, six-figure alphanumeric name (or ya kno, whtevr). The beauty of my simple machine is that I can toggle between the pointy arrow and a location reading fairly easily. I just go back to the waypoint list to see where I'm supposed to be and compare it with where I am. The only drawback is I can't load difficulty ratings or clues.

P.S. I'm primarily paperless, and it makes for a very interesting hunt with no clues or ratings

I print out the simple mode, no logs, just the basic description......name, coordinates, difficulty, and terrain with the descriptions.

You can use GSAK to give you difficulty, terrain, size and tyoe in the waypoint name.

For example GC12345 is a Regular sized Traditionl with a difficutly of 1 and terrain of three, using GSAK you can change it to read RT12345 13.

You can also use GSAK to load the hint. Some peopkle I know load the waypoint twice, first as a geocache, then again as a POI with a hint included. If they need the hint they call up the POI, othewise they use the geocache waypoint for searching.

It may sound like a lot of work, but once it is set up it's just a few mouse clicks every time you load caches.

Check the forums on the GSAK website for details.

I don't have a GPS that's capable of holding all the data for paperless caching... but I do have a Blackberry.

I usually take my laptop with GSAK on it, but it stays in the car. If I need more info while I'm actually on the trail, I whip out my Blackberry and go to http://wap.geocaching.com. I can see the full cache description, and have the option of viewing a Google Map, the hint, or the logs.

You can even log your finds from that page, although I usually wait until I get home. Typing on the Blackberry works, but it's not fun.

I use a Garmin Summit HC, although I want an Oregon.

To go paperless, I use the Groundspeak App on my iPod Touch. I use GSAK to load the .gpx file into the Garmin, and the Groundspeak App to grab my Pocket Query into my Touch. Of course, once I am out of wi-fi range, I can only see the last 5 logs, but still can see the hint and ratings.

Funny, though, I found a cache about a week ago about 20 feet up a tree. I composed my log trail-side, but didn't want to give any spoilers on the cache. Remarked that I spotted the cache quickly, but wasn't sure my 44 yr old body was up for the retrieve. When I got home, I checked the website, and the cache has been found many times, and several folks posted pictures of one of the cachers up the tree signing the log. Had I had access to all the logs, rather than the last five, I would have known it was up there immediately!

Mike