Any way to overlay a pocket query onto a Google Map?

chrisrayn

Hey everyone,

I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I can open a pocket query in EasyGPS and see a pocketquery laid out on a map with no streets, which doesn't help me, or I can see the geocaching MAP IT results, but not for my specific pocket query.

I just want to find a way to look at the pocket query results for my geocaching trip on a convenient and easy-to-read map that looks just like the Geocaching Map View, or the Google Maps view.

I know how to do it in Google Earth, but I honestly don't care about that. I wish Google Earth would just let me use the same maps as Google Maps, and I would use it CONSTantly.

Thanks for any help!

chrisrayn

Open your GPX file first in Google Earth and then re-save it as a KMZ file. Then, while logged in to your Google account (you do have one, right?) go to Maps, click th "My Maps" tab, and import the KMZ file. There are a few prompts along the way, but once you get to the My Maps page it's mostly self-explanatory.

Edited by lee_rimar

On the pocket query page http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/ there is a preview section. The little icon on the right will open your query in Google Maps.

Thanks for this tip! That little icon's been there all along hasn't it? :antenna: The more we use the more we discover and the easier it is to do the thing we enjoy. Appreciate your tip.

Hey - it's Indiana Jill! Enjoyed meeting you at the 2009 Indiana Fall Picnic! Hope all's well with you!

I love using Google Earth to view my GPX files, I believe you can just drop the GPX file right into Google Earth.

I think you can open the GPX pocket query in Mapsource as well if you happen to have a Garmin.

I believe you can just drop the GPX file right into Google Earth.

The newer version(s) of Google Earth have native GPX support, but the older versions didn't.

Not to engage in a game of Google Earth trivial pursuit, but I think that program has supported GPX longer that it was called "Google Earth". I'm pretty sure that its predecessor, Keyhole, had GPX support.

The support for Groundsepak's geocaching to Google Earth were added around version 4.3 (I could look it up; it was either 4.2 or 4.3) and that's when it learned enough about Pocket Queries to splash Groundspeak icons, display difficulty/terrain, and so on. So any versio of Google Earth should read a GPX file and any version within the last two years or so should handle PQs very well.