Telecaching

e1eventh

Recently my friend and I have been "telecaching" a term we coined to describe the following:

One person heads out to hunt for caches *without* a GPS - the "hunter." The other remains at home (in our case, across the country, actually) at a computer - we'll call this person the "base." The base will look up a cache and using geocaching.com overhead imagery, Google street view, and other tools, will attempt to guide the hunter to the cache. It typically requires a lot of coordinating, along the lines of "ok, do you see that tree due East of the awning? It looks like it's about 20 feet North of that tree, about even with the fire hydrant." Or whatever.

We've found this to be really fun as it requires a lot of good, clear communication between the two people. Really challenges our spacial intelligence. It's also a way for us to cache together while living 3000 miles apart. As a bonus, we get to "experience" caches we wouldn't otherwise be able to, since it's unlikely we'd cache in eachother's cities.

Anyhow, just wanted to share the idea with you all, in case you want to give it a shot.

Well, by definition, I'd say that you are not geocaching, and I don't think it would be my cup of tea, but it is an interesting twist. Groundspeak is probably already discussing the possibliity of another game site! :)

I suppose the one that finds the cache signs the log for both? That is going to cause some controversy here, I'm sure. But I'm not going to provide the popcorn for that show.

Well, by definition, I'd say that you are not geocaching, and I don't think it would be my cup of tea, but it is an interesting twist. Groundspeak is probably already discussing the possibliity of another game site! :D

Why wouldn't he be? At least the guy out finding the cache. If he finds it and signs the log, he's geocached. There are many cachers who don't use a GPS. I'm not one of them (did for about 2 caches, then took the easy way out).

I suppose the one that finds the cache signs the log for both? That is going to cause some controversy here, I'm sure. But I'm not going to provide the popcorn for that show.

:)

Why wouldn't he be? At least the guy out finding the cache. If he finds it and signs the log, he's geocached. There are many cachers who don't use a GPS. I'm not one of them (did for about 2 caches, then took the easy way out).

Oh, I am well aware of that. That's why I added the "I'd say" part (eg: IMO). I know several cachers that began caching by using Google maps. But to my way of thinking, "geo" caching uses a GPS to find, not only to hide. But that is only my definition, and I don't try to impose it on others.

Thanks for the popcorn, buy the way. Real butter... yum!

Oh, I am well aware of that. That's why I added the "I'd say" part (eg: IMO). I know several cachers that began caching by using Google maps. But to my way of thinking, "geo" caching uses a GPS to find, not only to hide. But that is only my definition, and I don't try to impose it on others.

Thanks for the popcorn, buy the way. Real butter... yum!

Sure, real butter, great. But garlic salt? On popcorn? Eww!

A word of caution. If you actually go forward with this, please do yourselves and the rest of the known world a gigantic favor. Sign the log books as you wish but for heavens sake DO NOT come in here and blab about it, deal? Thanks.

Why, exactly? I don't really see the problem.

You haven't been around the forums much, I see :) Threads about playing the game an "alternate way" usually generates a lot of controversy.

The controversy, of course, comes from how the find is logged, not that you're not using a GPSr. If only the person signing the find logs the cache online (or of it is a "team" account), no big deal. If he signs it for the person on the computer as well, please don't ask for acceptance here. Some wouldn't care, others would.

Personally I find this more trouble than it is worth, but then again most of the time I cache alone and don't even use Phone A Friend.

You haven't been around the forums much, I see :) Threads about playing the game an "alternate way" usually generates a lot of controversy.

The controversy, of course, comes from how the find is logged, not that you're not using a GPSr. If only the person signing the find logs the cache online (or of it is a "team" account), no big deal. If he signs it for the person on the computer as well, please don't ask for acceptance here. Some wouldn't care, others would.

Personally I find this more trouble than it is worth, but then again most of the time I cache alone and don't even use Phone A Friend.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. FYI it's a team account we're using here.

Not that I expect anyone to care, but the only reason we even log things online is so we don't got back and accidentally refind a cache. A quick look at our stats will show that we're not exactly competitive cachers. Probably done 3 in a day at most, no FTF's, etc. Anyhow, just thought I'd share my twist, don't even particularly use it that much myself. But if no one else likes it, that's cool. I'll just go back to enjoying the game, thanks = ).

Edited by e1eventh

Sounds like fun.

I've helped find a couple in a similar fashion, but not by choice but because of necessity. (Well however necessary it is to find a cache)

My brother called me up while he was traveling because his GPSr was dead. He knew there was a cache at this certain truck stop but not exactly where without his gizmo. I pulled up the cache info, looked at the Google Earth imagery, read the hint and the past logs and asked him where he was. He said he was sitting on a bench. I told him to reach under his butt and feel around, and sure enough, he was sitting on top of the cache. He has called me a couple more times since then to find some park and grabs in shopping center parking lots. He forgets his gizmo a lot so I'm glad to help. I've never claimed a find on any of these caches but it was still fun doing them.

My initial thought when I started reading the OP was that this was an intentional troll.

However, after reading the entire post, it's actually an interesting concept.

What really intrigues me is how this could be used by someone who is not capable of leaving their home to somewhat experience the joys of caching.

True, the "base" is not really geocaching in the normally accepted definition of caching, but the sport/hobby is more about fun than anything else.

So I would say if both of you are having fun with it, then go for it.

As a side note, I would probably forgo the logging of a find and utilize bookmarks (or GSAK) instead to keep track of previously found caches. As long as you're not logging finds, this shouldn't give anyone a coronary.

I've said this before and will say it again. It is called Geocaching.... NOT GPScaching.

You may require a GPS to hide a cache and get the co-ords... but you MIGHT not to find it.

I have found several caches thanks to the GPS... but I have also found a few without.

I have no idea why people would get upset about people finding caches without a GPS? can anyone explain this to me?

Bruce.

I've said this before and will say it again. It is called Geocaching.... NOT GPScaching.

You may require a GPS to hide a cache and get the co-ords... but you MIGHT not to find it.

I have found several caches thanks to the GPS... but I have also found a few without.

I have no idea why people would get upset about people finding caches without a GPS? can anyone explain this to me?

Bruce.

Who is upset, Bruce?

Sounds like a fun twist on the established way of playing...do you BOTH log finds online, or only the one who was there, and take turns?

I think sharing an account, and logging all the finds as a Team would be cool, keeping a sepperats count from your individual count. I think many in the forums get way too wrapped up in the technicalities of what a "Find" is.

Bruce.

Who is upset, Bruce?

Perhaps no one.. Maybe I am wrong but several people seem to be opposed to playing the game without a GPS receiver.

I love a good debate and sometimes get too invested in it. If this is the case friend of chad.. forgive me. I am new here.

Bruce.

FYI it's a team account we're using here.

They're only logging the finds once under their team name, not 2 individual finds.

I don't see any problem with that at all.

I've done similar over the phone with a friend before. I've even found a cache from one of the previous finder's log photos :) Haven't claimed any of them though because it's not a team account.

What you need for true telecaching is a video link to the remote finder.

That's doable. If you've got an iPhone and it has been "jailbreaked" (an app which unlocks certain features of the phone) you can run an app on it and and app on a PC/Mac which will display the screen of the iPhone on a computer. Then just use the camera on the iPhone and point it where you're walking. Of course, for telecaching you'll need another phone to talk to someone at the "base".

I absolutely love the idea. I wouldn't mind being the computer guy or the hunting guy, but it borders on a nerdy version of a Jack Bauer "24" scene. And I love nerdy! (I am a band director after all).

"No Jack, to the north on the other side of that trash bin."

"Chloe, I can't get there from here. There MUST be another way!!!"

"Jack, I am looking but I don't see...."

"Chloe, just find it! We're running out of time!"

"Okay Jack.... look for a door in that fenceline to your East. The area should be accesible through there"

"Copy that."

Now I just need a buddy across the country who has a Verizon cell phone so we have unlimited minutes back and forth! :)

I don't think it "matters" to anyone but me and the OP that I like it. Perhaps it doesn't matter to the OP either. However, if I came up with an original way of doing something, and then posted it online in a forum, I would appreciate knowing that others think my idea is neat.

I was just trying to be nice and pay a compliment to the OP that their idea appeals to someone else.

Since written correspondance lacks the body language and tone of voice necessary to determine your intimations, I am not sure if your post was meant to be flippant and unwelcoming of my post, or just an honest inquiry. I chose to respond as if it were an honest question, and hope that I am correct.

Perhaps you ought to re-read post # 10 and search for the word: "likes".

Believe it or not, it's not about you.

Awesome. Since you didn't quote post #10, and since your post was directly after mine, it seemed you were replying to me.

I am happy that you weren't. Thanks for the clarification.

I absolutely love the idea. I wouldn't mind being the computer guy or the hunting guy, but it borders on a nerdy version of a Jack Bauer "24" scene. And I love nerdy! (I am a band director after all).

"No Jack, to the north on the other side of that trash bin."

"Chloe, I can't get there from here. There MUST be another way!!!"

"Jack, I am looking but I don't see...."

"Chloe, just find it! We're running out of time!"

"Okay Jack.... look for a door in that fenceline to your East. The area should be accesible through there"

"Copy that."

Now I just need a buddy across the country who has a Verizon cell phone so we have unlimited minutes back and forth! :)

Haha yeah, that's exactly how it feels some times. You certainly have to be ok with nerdy.

What you need for true telecaching is a video link to the remote finder.

If this is possible, a live feed relatively cheap and portable, then the GPS is with the seeker, but only viewable by the coordinater at base. That way if the google maps aren't working out in the hunt then the guy at the base can follow the arrow! This would satisfy the needs a GPS to be real geocaching crowd.

On a side note: If we ain't geeks now, can you imagine the image of a feeding frenzy at a FTF of Telecachers! :o:lol:

So,...no other guitar players here to groan at my terrible pun? :lol:

If we played it higher in the air, would it be a strato-cacher? (and indeed that was terrible, so I had to respond as badly)

What if we were searching for a cache in a junkyard? Perhaps in the fender of an old truck?

Recently my friend and I have been "telecaching" a term we coined to describe the following:

One person heads out to hunt for caches *without* a GPS - the "hunter." The other remains at home (in our case, across the country, actually) at a computer - we'll call this person the "base." The base will look up a cache and using geocaching.com overhead imagery, Google street view, and other tools, will attempt to guide the hunter to the cache. It typically requires a lot of coordinating, along the lines of "ok, do you see that tree due East of the awning? It looks like it's about 20 feet North of that tree, about even with the fire hydrant." Or whatever.

We've found this to be really fun as it requires a lot of good, clear communication between the two people. Really challenges our spacial intelligence. It's also a way for us to cache together while living 3000 miles apart. As a bonus, we get to "experience" caches we wouldn't otherwise be able to, since it's unlikely we'd cache in eachother's cities.

Anyhow, just wanted to share the idea with you all, in case you want to give it a shot.

Sounds like fun to me but the crowd here will slaughter you for such behavior.

I'm not sure I get why the second person is even needed? Why wouldn't the first person just print out aerial photo?

You could certainly do this. As others have said it's mostly about the challenge of communicating. I mean, normally if you really just wanted to find a cache you could read all the logs and the hints right away, right? But that's no fun.

We've found though that it often takes a lot of back-and-forth. Just one aerial photo doesn't usually work. It'll take multiple aerial photos (yahoo, bing, google), maybe some measurements (e.g. "10 meters from the tree"), and use of Google Street view to reliably find a cache.

A word of caution. If you actually go forward with this, please do yourselves and the rest of the known world a gigantic favor. Sign the log books as you wish but for heavens sake DO NOT come in here and blab about it, deal? Thanks.

Don't worry, he's a good example of what the ignore button is for. The telecaching idea sounds like fun.

I wonder if anyone ever said to Mr. Ulmer, "Dave, that's ridiculous! That's not what GPS was created for?" The time has come for an evolution my friends! You with that 1st Person shooter, come, sit here! You with that cell phone, take this bag and go as directed unto the forest, heed the direction of your base man! We will call you Telecachers, for as Telecachers ye shall be known. Log thine finds as one, for as one thou shall be! Goest hence from this day and be the revolutionary ones, the soldiers of communicable Geocaching. When thou art spotted by a muggle, know that thou art on a phone and need no further hold a large yellow device to thine ear and proclaim falsly that thou art talking to thine mother! Go yeGeocacher, know that thou art Son (or Daughter) of Ulmer and hold to the tradition of your father. Thou art the blessed ones and shall reap your rewards in the ways of Dave. Niether greater nor less than the other but seeking a goal not found in a knothole or lamppost, but in the adventure in thine own heart. :lol:

No religous parallel or parody intended.

In the old days when I played D&D......yes, I am a nerd, we held to the one true rule. The books were guides, not actual rules and were subject to the inventivness of the players of the game. Telecaching sounds like a truely fun and useful implimentation and inclusion of Geocaching. I believe only one question needs to be answered. Are you having fun? Yes? Keep doing it. No? Do something else. God bless David Ulmer and his Original Stash!