Geocachers being accused of being spies?

tamarab64

Been approached by local LEO, FBI (on a stakeout), Sheriff, DEA... I think only ATF is missing from my list.

Nothing like getting approached by the FBI while they were on a stake out... Other than DEA wanting to know what I was doing on the woods where they were busting a pot growing operation... Or the Sheriff wanting to know more about the remains and clothing I found... Or getting stopped by LEO for being in the area they found a body dumped the week before...

A friend of mine got caught at 2am, barefoot, placing an ammo can under a bridge... the story was very funny (I since have met the same cops while out caching the area).

Edit: grammar,. and punctuation..!,

Edited by Unkle Fester

Been approached by local LEO, FBI (on a stakeout), Sheriff, DEA... I think only ATF is missing from my list.

Nothing like getting approached by the FBI while they were on a stake out... Other than DEA wanting to know what I was doing on the woods where they were busting a pot growing operation... Or the Sheriff wanting to know more about the remains and clothing you found... Or getting stopped by LEO for being in the area they found a body dumped the week before...

A friend of mine got caught at 2am, barefoot, placing an ammo can under a bridge... the story was very funny (I since have met the same cops while out caching the area).

Oh man and I thought it was awkward when I got approached by the land owner and asked me and my friend if we "had found what we were looking for." I responded with a "yes" and then quickly discovered they had no clue what geocaching was and never gave any permission to have a cache placed on their land. Oops... :)

Certainly. I was detained on a dead-end street for 20 minutes by the entire first shift of the Clark, N.J. Police department as a Robbery suspect in 2004.

Also, I wasn't home last summer when a police officer from my Town came and knocked on the door and questioned my wife about what I was doing on a rails to trails the next town over, after someone called me in for suspicious activity. That Town's Police Department never did return my call about me wanting them to investigate the guy who called me in for stalking me like a freak. Which I actually noticed as I was leaving the area. :)

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

haha nope im not a journalist.. im in uni doing a business assignment on geocaching and this is the kind of stuff i need to include in my assignment.

I have gone out geocaching a few times but havnt had the time to put them up yet.

Well, alrighty then. Are you allowed to speak about your project, be nice to know what you're covering and how it's going... maybe a summary?

Anyone know of any articles of geocachers being accused of being spies or accused of doing something illegal??

Not really.

However, I am aware of a few instances where spies have been accused of geocaching in their spare time, whence they should have been spying. I heard that an agent from Monaco was docked one week's pay when he was found in Vatican City with a GPS looking for a cache, when he should have been at the dead drop site instead.. :)

From Wikipedia:

The dead drop spike is a concealment device similar to a microcache which has been used since the late 1960s to hide money, maps, documents, microfilm, and other items.

Well I have to cover the political, environmental, social, technological, economic and legislative factors that apply to geocaching...its called a PESTEL report.

I won't tell you everything i've done because i'd be typing all day, but this projects been very interesting.. most things are common sense like environmental issues.. not ruining the countryside.. also about events where geocachers get together and clean up a park.. stuff like that...

Social.. events, caching together, talking online etc.

Technological... handheld gps, gps on your phone etc.

So on and so on

Well I have to cover the political, environmental, social, technological, economic and legislative factors that apply to geocaching...its called a PESTEL report.

I won't tell you everything i've done because i'd be typing all day, but this projects been very interesting.. most things are common sense like environmental issues.. not ruining the countryside.. also about events where geocachers get together and clean up a park.. stuff like that...

Social.. events, caching together, talking online etc.

Technological... handheld gps, gps on your phone etc.

So on and so on

So exactly what are they going to do with this information??

and what interest did they take in this that they would pay someone to find out more about it?

Well they're not actually going to do anything with the information.. just mark how I write the information up and they will look at how I consider the business side of things.

They're not paying me either ( I wish), it's just for an assignment... I don't really see why someone would actually pay someone to find out more about geocaching.. it's not really a career promoting subject to write about, it's just fun!!

Not geocaching, but taking pictures outside of tourist season.. got stopped by Homeland Security in 2 different states on the same day.

While geocaching: at various times have been followed/watched/observed by 2 types of aerial surveillance, private security components from 2 nations, and security components of every military branch. Have not been stopped yet, but on several caches have gotten self-conscious enough to stop trying to find the cache.

Luckily I take my camera with me and take pictures of random things. If I get stopped I'll show the pics and my canned line that my chain of command will let me take pics of anything as long as there's no security risk involved. Hence the 100s of pictures of desert plants and pieces of scrap metal. :-)

Edited by bramasoleiowa