Garmin 60cx / Oregon 300 Routing to Geocache Question

eauman_oz

Hi

I currently have a Garmin 60cx & when Geocaching I have it prompt me for the navigation method to the cache either "Follow Road" or "Off-road". Thus when setting off I use "follow road" & am navigated close to the cache location & once parked-up I re-find the cache using the "off-road" method which gives a direct line to the cache.

I am considering changing to a Oregon 300/400 as I have had a few power off issues recently but wondered if the Oregons have this same capability to select the navigation method as the menus & functions look quite simplistic compared with the 60Cx.

Thanks in advance

eauman_oz

Hi

I currently have a Garmin 60cx & when Geocaching I have it prompt me for the navigation method to the cache either "Follow Road" or "Off-road". Thus when setting off I use "follow road" & am navigated close to the cache location & once parked-up I re-find the cache using the "off-road" method which gives a direct line to the cache.

I am considering changing to a Oregon 300/400 as I have had a few power off issues recently but wondered if the Oregons have this same capability to select the navigation method as the menus & functions look quite simplistic compared with the 60Cx.

Thanks in advance

eauman_oz

The Oregon allows you to set up different profiles with different preferences selected. I use the automotive profile for driving directions to a cache, then switch to geocaching profile for the walk from parking. You can also have a bicycle profile which avoids freeways. Easy.

Although the profiles are very handy, you don't have to change profiles to re-calculate either on road or off road. Once you are routing to a destination, you press the "Where To" button and that will have options to either stop routing or re-calculate off road (or on-road if already routing off road).

JetSkier

The profiles is one of many of the handiest things with the Oregon. You can create and name custom profiles whatever you want to call them (hiking, flying, boating, hunting, geocaching, etc.) and assign a custom border color with the name of that profile in the border, just as a reminder of what profile you are in. Each profile can be individually customized with the various settings / preferences / which maps to display / compass on or off / which main menu buttons to display / etc. that you want for that custom profile. So, when you change profiles all the settings that you want for the particular activity are already set.

Edited by eaparks

The Oregon allows you to set up different profiles with different preferences selected. I use the automotive profile for driving directions to a cache, then switch to geocaching profile for the walk from parking. You can also have a bicycle profile which avoids freeways. Easy.

Or you can use a single profile and select "Go To -> Recalculate On Road" or "Go To -> Recalculate Off Road" to switch between the two.

Thanks for all the replies sounds all good. Are the various settings available to a profile documented in the manual?

Or you can use a single profile and select "Go To -> Recalculate On Road" or "Go To -> Recalculate Off Road" to switch between the two.

Thanks for all the replies sounds all good. Are the various settings available to a profile documented in the manual?

Not really, but it would be a very long list if they did. Just about every setting you can change on the Oregon is saved under the profile active at the time. Here's what my manual says about profiles:

"Changing the Profile

Profiles are a collection of settings that allow you to optimize your Oregon from one type of use to another, such as moving from recreational use to automotive use.

When you are in a profile and change settings such as data fields, units of measurement, or position settings, they are saved automatically as part of your current profile."

That's pretty much it, and it works like a charm.

For more information, you can download the manual from the Garmin Web site (it's a PDF document). See Page 24 for information about profiles.

There's also good information about Oregon profiles on the Garmin Oregon Wiki.

--Larry

Edited to add link to Garmin Oregon Wiki.

Edited by larryc43230