A proposal

GeoGeeBee

I finally got my girlfriend to go caching with me. And, much to my surprise, she loved it! (It was much to her surprise, too... I'm not sure which of us was more surprised. She kept saying things like "I had no idea I was such a geek!")

Apparently she was telling her friends at work how much fun it was. Because I just got an email from one of her co-workers...

I've been planning to propose to her soon, but trying to think of a creative way to do it. And I mentioned that to one of her friends at a party a couple of weeks ago. Her friend emailed me today to say how much my GF liked the caching, and the friend suggested a creative way to propose.

The idea would be to take her caching one day. Only I'd have found the cache before, and visited it either the previous evening or earlier the same day. I'd place in the cache a letter asking her to marry me, attached to a silk flower.

I'd be sure she was the one to find the cache and open it. When she found the letter, I'd be on one knee with the ring in my hand.

I think this sounds like a great idea. The only hitch is the possibility of another geocacher visiting the cache in between my leaving the flower, and the GF finding it.

Hence my question to the forum: If you found a letter in a cache, addressed to a particular person, what would you do? Is there some reason this is not a good idea?

Don't submit the cache to be published until she has been there.

Post a reviewer note to the listing asking that it be reviewed but held for a later publication date. They'll check the location and listing to be sure it complies with the guidelines, and leave it be.

Take her out there, she doesn't need to know it's a setup.

Wouldn't you hate to see the previous log read:

T-pretty fake diamond ring-my five year old loves to play dressup with old costume jewelry

L-broken McToy.

There have been a few other engagement caches over the years. They make for sweet stories (assuming she says yes. ) :)

Don't be a goof !

Just hide the cache in a secure area, and don't list it on the website...yet.

After you find it, then you can go list it if you want.

Just tell your girlfriend that a brand new cache just popped up nearby, and you have the coords....

...so let's go be the First To Find!

She will certainly not question that approach.

>> The only hitch is

Heheh! Nice choice of words, there! :)

Seriously, I think I'd find it a bit awkward to stumble across a proposal in a cache. It sounds as though you are talking about a sealed, addressed envelope, which would be better, but let me "propose" :angry: another solution... put out a new cache, but don't let it be published yet. Just go caching, and load that cache in with a fake "GC#" and let her find it. After that, you could go ahead and try to get the cache published for the public. You might call it "She said YES!" or something like that.

A friend of mine proposed that way. Here is the cache honoring The Proposal.

Thanks for that link!

Y'all are right, creating a new cache is a much better idea than using an existing one. I don't know why I didn't think of that!

For the record, though... I didn't intend to leave the ring in the cache, just the note. I'd have the ring in my pocket. But in a well-hidden, unpublished cache, that's a different story.

Now I need to go scout a location. Hope it stops raining soon!

I proposed to my wife by creating a multi-cache for her and wrote everything on paper for her instead of putting it on the internet. I had roses at each location with coordinates to the next location. Each location had a little significance to our relationship (one was at the college track, where we met) one was hidden in a park we liked to walk together in, ect. The final was hidden with a rose, ring, and plate of brownies (mmm, brownies!)... I will never share that cache, it's a fun one that only we can appreciate - that's our preference. Do what you want, she will love it no matter what.

I read this here some time back, so it is not original. I assume you wouldn't want to leave an expensive ring in the wild, published cache or not. So when you're searching around GZ, send her off in a different direction, quickly hide the ring, then get her back and search the area where the cache is. You may want to rehearse it (without her around) to make it look natural, if you really want to surprise her :angry:

Are marriage jokes off topic? Anyway I've read that marriage is a 3 ring circus. Engagement ring, wedding ring, and suffering. Disclaimer (in case the wife reads this) : I'm not speaking from personal experience :)

It's a great idea I think she'll love it.

I was proposed to while finding a fake geocache and I loved every minute of it.

Foodee set up a nice long night cache and left the ring in the final. I made the find and realized that the little black box was for me (by the way the realization took a little while), I then called him a few choice words (for leaving the ring in the cache) before saying yes. I think I got him a little worried there...

It was perfect though I couldn't have been more surprised.

Good luck to you.

I proposed to my wife by creating a multi-cache for her and wrote everything on paper for her instead of putting it on the internet. I had roses at each location with coordinates to the next location. Each location had a little significance to our relationship (one was at the college track, where we met) one was hidden in a park we liked to walk together in, ect. The final was hidden with a rose, ring, and plate of brownies (mmm, brownies!)... I will never share that cache, it's a fun one that only we can appreciate - that's our preference. Do what you want, she will love it no matter what.

Oh, how romantic..

It's so sweet, it makes me want to puke.

(just kidding folks)

I think it is pretty cool. Why don't you create a new cache and publish it after she finds it. That way there is no chance of someone intercepting it.

What if someone is scouting places for a new cache, and goes : ooohh, shiney!!!!

far fetched, but you never know eh..

much easier to use the help of a close friend who can 'drop' the TB ring in the cache prior to your arrival at GZ? That way there is a much smaller timeframe in which the ring is all alone in the scary woods :)

If you really are going to go thru with it I hope she doesn't log a dnf....JK

I would give the cache placemnt alot of thought as it would be nice to see this in play long after the novelty of the proposal was over. A contsant reminder evertime someone finds it of the day geocaching changed your life for the secoond time.

Most people knew, except for her and she found it first with a real ring.

Hey! I remember that. If I recall correctly, there were some Event Caches placed and Species was going to raffle off coordinates to the nearby caches, one of which had the ring etc, with Species planning on doing a little slate of hand at the ticket drawing table to assure that his fiance won the correct cache (with all the attendees knowledge of course). Turns out she did pull a winning ticket without having to resort to any tricks. Is that Fate or what? :)

Back OT....I sure hope your girlfriend doesn't read the Forums :angry:

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.

The current plan:

1) Find an awesome cache location that isn't already occupied. As dakin55 points out, it would be great to have this cache survive for a long time as a memorial to our engagement.

2) Create cache online but ask reviewer to hold off on publishing it.

3) Place cache with a bunch of cute wedding-related stuff... a wedding music CD, a bride-n-groom cake-topper, etc. Write a note on the first page of the brand-new log book asking her to marry me.

4) Arrange to get a fake "new cache" email and drag her out to find it, with the ring safely in my pocket.

5) When she finds it and realizes what it is, whip out the ring, get on one knee, and ask her to marry me.

A friend of mine proposed that way. Here is the cache honoring The Proposal.

I've found another one like that (with a similar name). It also turned out to be at a location that the couple had spent some time so the location was special as well.

There is another one not too far away called "Take My Hand" that requests that you include the date of your wedding or the date you met a significant other in the log.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.

The current plan:

1) Find an awesome cache location that isn't already occupied. As dakin55 points out, it would be great to have this cache survive for a long time as a memorial to our engagement.

2) Create cache online but ask reviewer to hold off on publishing it.

3) Place cache with a bunch of cute wedding-related stuff... a wedding music CD, a bride-n-groom cake-topper, etc. Write a note on the first page of the brand-new log book asking her to marry me.

4) Arrange to get a fake "new cache" email and drag her out to find it, with the ring safely in my pocket.

5) When she finds it and realizes what it is, whip out the ring, get on one knee, and ask her to marry me.

A woman's perspective - I love this idea! Especially part 3 with the wedding related swag. That makes it a little more original. I have always thought this would be a romantic way to propose if both people like geocaching. I came close when my former boyfriend once snuck a ring in a cache and let me find it - only to confess that it was a prank. I didn't speak to him for the rest of the day. :)

Bittsen, lol, yer jaded. May we all be there when you fall again, because you will be here trying to figure out the same thing.

The rest of you are too romantic to be real.

GeoGeeBee, congratulations. edit to say, She did love it! I hope you will both be very happy.

Edited by BlueMoth

Bumping this thread for an update:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you:

GC214K8 Rules of Engagement

8a269224-1844-439e-97f7-65989256cb7f.jpg

Yeah, GeoGeeBee tends to make a lot of people cry. I tried to beat the wife-to-be to the cache and CITO the letter as political propaganda but never made it in time. Let's just say, there's a sucker born every minute. :D:D

I AM having fun with you. Good luck with it. I hope your wife is as understanding with geocaching as mine is [at the moment].

Too late for the OP, but the next cacher who does a cache proposal may consider this...

There was a cache hidden here in Birmingham that was used first for a proposal, then published.

I think it was called Wedding Cache, and it was filled with wedding-related swag.

The couple honeymooned in France where they turned loose Bride and Groom TBs with the mission of returning to the Wedding Cache.

Folks around the world watched the TBs progress, the Bride eventually made it back, I think the Groom got lost somewhere in Germany.