I Phone app can I get it on blackberry

If you are on Verizon, be sure to check if your phone has the GPS unlocked so any third-party app can use it. I have the Curve and am waiting until my 2 year contract is up to switch from Verizon, because they only let me use the GPS in the phone with the BB maps and nothing else. If someone has managed to get a BB Curve from Verizon to use the GPSr with anything other than the BB maps, then I would love to find out how.

Apparently it is "unlocked" on the Droid because Cachemate (a third party app) uses it just fine. And it works with Google Maps as well.

I'm guessing it's RIM (Blackberry) is doing the blocking, not Verizon.

Actually it was Verison, but they are changing that. Their newer phones don't have the GPS locked.

Many BlackBerry with contracts from other carriers have used their 'Berries to Geoacache with for some time, so I doubt that RIM has locked the GPS.

A friend of mine at work got this awsome app for his I phone in which you tell the phone to find nearby caches and it does so wherever you may be. Does anyone know if they make an app like that for the blackberry touch or any other verizon based smart phone?

CacheBerry

However, does CacheBerry read cache info online/realtime based on the GPS location, or does it only offer info on caches in an already loaded GPX file? I want to be able to turn on my BlackBerry and quickly get cache listing based upon where I happen to be, without having previously run a pocket query.

Give BlackStar a shot, I use it on my Blackberry and it works just like you want. I can stand out on a corner and get a signal lock on the gps, scroll down to nearest geocaches from Geocaching.com and in a few seconds(or minutes) I have all the nearest caches that I haven't found.

Comes in handy when roaming and feel like caching without any notes. Only thing I've noticed is the gps eats the battery life and that the gps isn't real accurate, I would guess my gps is within about a 100 feet.

without sounding completely ignorant does cacheberry go to the cache site or does it go off of stored data that I input? The app I saw on the iphone was real time direct to the cache site and automatically knew the persons (er phones) locale.

I used the trial versions of Cacheberry and Geocache Navigator for a couple weeks, and would suggest you do the same. The interface of GN is easy to use, and works well for spontaneous caches. I ultimately decided to purchase Cacheberry as it has more overall functionality in my opinion. The database functions work nicely with pocket queries.

It is my understanding that 3rd party apps other than GN are not supposed to automate the geocaching.com website the way GN does. I guess I don't understand why geocaching.com would show favoritism to one app over another, but I'm guessing that is just the way the terms of the deal were worked out. Cacheberry can use the BB browser and your current coordinates to show you the geocaching.com website and nearest caches, but then you need to select the cache, download the gpx/loc, then hunt.

I found the online forum support to be much better with Cacheberry, and mostly non-existent with GN. Again, don't take my word on it. Take advantage of the opportunity to test both apps fully and determine which one you prefer.