Garmin Legend HCx

NetMinder29

Hi:

I have a Garmin Legend HCx and really like it. I've been told that the unit will only take microSD card up to 2GB in size and that the cards can't be of the "HC" type. Is this true?

If I can put in a larger card, what are the advantages? I can only seem to display 50 geocaches right now. Will a larger card help with this?

Thoughts, anyone?

NetMinder29

1. Nope. That's not correct. The unit will take larger cards. And cards 4GB and larger will by definition be HC.

2. The card can be used to store maps. It can also be used to store Custom POIs. It cannot be used to store Waypoints. (Well, you can put them there, but the unit won't read them from the card.)

The unit has dedicated space to store 1000 Favorites/Waypoints/Locations in the device memory.

The unit will only show the closest Waypoints to your current location. The same applies to Custom POIs if you are using those.

The rest are there and can be found by searching by name.

I can only seem to display 50 geocaches right now. Will a larger card help with this?

It only shows the first or closest 50 and if those 50 are too far away they will not show at all. If you want to see all of them you will need to change your view to "list by alphabetical".

No, a larger card will not increase the amount of geocaches you can load or view unless you convert the geocaches to POI. Than you can store a lot more.

Onmmy Vista HCX the custom POIs only show up on the map view if

1. you add a .bmp file named the same as the .gpx file in the same directory before you transfer

and

2. each time you turn on the GPSr you search for a custom poi, then select "map" for somne reason at first the caches don't show up in the map view

Question: How do I search for custom POIs by name? I usually prepare a hit list in MS Streets before I depart and would really like to know how to do that.

1. That should not be necessary. You can load the POI file into Mapsource and add an icon there, before using the POILoader to load them as custom POIs. I have added lots this way.

2. In the Main Menu select Search.

In Search select Custom Points of Interest.

In Custom Points of interest hit the Menu button.

In the menu that pops up select "Nearest Containing"

You'll get the a few custom POIs displayed and the alphabet window so you can start "typing" the name you want.

Keep an eye on the POI list above the alphabet window because it will narrow down as you enter characters. If the names are somewhat unique you won't usually have to enter all the characters to get a hit.

...ken...