nPower PEG

embra

I just heard an interesting blurb on NPR's All Things Considered wherein they mentioned a device coming to market called the nPower Personal Energy Generator (PEG). The founder of the company reportedly was hiking the Appalachian Trail noticing how much energy he put out hiking while still needing to restock his batteries periodically.

Several years later they are about to begin selling the PEG for $149. I don't understand just how it works, but it reportedly siphons off about 1.5% of your energy output to generate a voltage compatible with USB 2.0 (I take that to be about 5v). From what I could see on their web site, they provide connectors for a couple of devices you specify (they list several cell phones in addition to USB). I can imagine this might work well for a device like the DeLorme PNs that allow for a rechargeable Li-Ion, so you could charge a battery while using it on the move and run off the battery other times. I suppose you could also use it to power a USB-powered NiMH charger (are there such things? I guess I can only think of 12v versions for use in a vehicle).

It looks like it might be more reliable than a solar charger...although at $149 it's probably more money than I would want to spend for such a thing. One of the more exciting possibilities implied is when they start to be integrated into devices--I'd be keen for a GPS, cell phone or iPod with one of these things onboard if not too pricey or bulky.

I keep thinking there must be some seriously tricky stuff there to account for the price tag -- and why it took so long to make something like this. Self winding watches have been around since before I was born. Before my parents were born, for that matter.

So what's the major technical challenge to charging a battery or capacitor from a gadget attached to your arm or leg??

Edited by lee_rimar

I keep thinking there must be some seriously tricky stuff there to account for the price tag -- and why it took so long to make something like this. Self winding watches have been around since before I was born. Before my parents were born, for that matter.

So what's the major technical challenge to charging a battery or capacitor from a gadget attached to your arm or leg??

Well, for one, self-winding watches wind a mechanical spring...

I would guess (IANAEE) the "major technical challenge" would be having this device produce the constant 5v DC that USB-charged devices require, from sporadic/periodic motions. Sure, you can move a magnet in a coil and generate electricity, but you have to keep a constant voltage in order to charge your GPS or iPhone. That takes either a battery, bank(s) of capacitors, etc.