Geocaching with the iPod Touch ONLY (An Ongoing Experiment)

Hello all,

I'm opening this thread so others can keep track of an experiment I'm planning to conduct once I get a GPS cradle for the iPod Touch. The cradle in question is called the Dual Electronics XGPS300 GPS Cradle and should be released sometime this month for a hefty $180.

Right now I'm using the Garmin nuvi 500 to serve as an all-in-one solution for road navigation and geocaching. While it has it advantages, I find I prefer my paperless caching on the iPod instead simply because it's easier to use and offers far more options. Paperless caching on the Garmin is doable but also frustrating as well. The screen is not as responsive, and it simply does not offer the versatility I find with the iPod (especially once I get Geosphere).

While road navigation is near perfect with it, walking has been an exercise in frustration. I often have to run like the wind just for the compass to register my actual heading. Getting within a 100 feet of a cache has become a nightmare at times as the compass is convinced I'm walking south when I'm really heading west, and by the time it updates I have already overshot the cache's location.

I hate having to deal with extra gadgets too once I'm parked and ready to go geocaching. I would prefer to just grab my iPod and I'm good to go, so this will be an experiment to see just how well that works out. The GPS Cradle comes with a free road navigation app, but I may install Navigon's app instead.

Eventually I may decide that a GPS exclusively for the car, coupled with a handheld like the Garmin 60SCx and then the iPod for paperless caching would be the only viable option, but I'd like to see how this works out first before I decide whether to dump the nuvi 500 and the GPS cradle on eBay. :laughing: It will also be interesting to see how a GPS enabled iPod will fare in comparison to more conventional options as a road navigation and geocaching device.

I'll report my experiences here as time goes on.

Hello,

interesting, I was thinking about the exact same thing the last days after I read the DUAL advertisement. But I would like to use the ipod only for geocaching, so do you think I could go for a cheaper solution, as e.g. the iGPS360? And would I have in any case to jailbreak the touch?

When I tried to download a GPS software from the app store to the touch, just to have something on the ipod touch to test GPS-devices in a store in the near future, I got a error message stating that this can only be used on a Iphone.

So does that mean that jailbreaking will be necessary for different GPS-apps, or are there enough apps on the market that would be able to handle this "3rd"party GPS-devices?

I am very interested in what you write here the next weeks. We will travel to New York in february and i plan then to spend some $ for the DUAL or another device.

Cheers

Torsten

Hello all,

I'm opening this thread so others can keep track of an experiment I'm planning to conduct once I get a GPS cradle for the iPod Touch. The cradle in question is called the Dual Electronics XGPS300 GPS Cradle and should be released sometime this month for a hefty $180.

Right now I'm using the Garmin nuvi 500 to serve as an all-in-one solution for road navigation and geocaching. While it has it advantages, I find I prefer my paperless caching on the iPod instead simply because it's easier to use and offers far more options. Paperless caching on the Garmin is doable but also frustrating as well. The screen is not as responsive, and it simply does not offer the versatility I find with the iPod (especially once I get Geosphere).

While road navigation is near perfect with it, walking has been an exercise in frustration. I often have to run like the wind just for the compass to register my actual heading. Getting within a 100 feet of a cache has become a nightmare at times as the compass is convinced I'm walking south when I'm really heading west, and by the time it updates I have already overshot the cache's location.

I hate having to deal with extra gadgets too once I'm parked and ready to go geocaching. I would prefer to just grab my iPod and I'm good to go, so this will be an experiment to see just how well that works out. The GPS Cradle comes with a free road navigation app, but I may install Navigon's app instead.

Eventually I may decide that a GPS exclusively for the car, coupled with a handheld like the Garmin 60SCx and then the iPod for paperless caching would be the only viable option, but I'd like to see how this works out first before I decide whether to dump the nuvi 500 and the GPS cradle on eBay. :signalviolin: It will also be interesting to see how a GPS enabled iPod will fare in comparison to more conventional options as a road navigation and geocaching device.

I'll report my experiences here as time goes on.

Sounds like a cool idea, but I'm not convinced that your nuvi 500 is that bad, have you read http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/index.html (go to the bottom and click through the three pages or so) about how to best use a nuvi for geocaching? I use a 255w and using the instructions on that website i'm able walk straight to the cache every time.

I also have an ipod touch and I'll be interested in seeing how it works for you, good luck!

Hello,

interesting, I was thinking about the exact same thing the last days after I read the DUAL advertisement. But I would like to use the ipod only for geocaching, so do you think I could go for a cheaper solution, as e.g. the iGPS360? And would I have in any case to jailbreak the touch?

Yes, that particular module requires a jailbroken iPod and some finagling, which is why it wouldn't be an appropriate solution for me. There's no need to download GPS based apps from the iTunes store for testing since you already have a few location based apps (such as Google Maps). Currently my iPod uses triangulation of cell/wi-fi towers, and they are awkwardly inaccurate. Even if I didn't use it for geocaching, I would still use the GPS cradle for my other location based apps, such as BrightKite, Tweetie (for Twitter), and a range of other applications. I tend to write about my travels a lot, so a solution like that would serve me well. :signalviolin:

The high price mark is the original retail so I think it will wind up being significantly cheaper once it's available. The reason I suspect this is because the primary reseller (at least in my area) for Dual is Walmart, so I'm hoping to see the actual price being closer to $100 than $200.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you can download iPhone only apps to the iPod, but I think it needs to be done via desktop iTunes. You would first download it to the iTunes desktop, and then transfer it over from there.

Edited by KingOfPain

Sounds like a cool idea, but I'm not convinced that your nuvi 500 is that bad, have you read http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/index.html (go to the bottom and click through the three pages or so) about how to best use a nuvi for geocaching? I use a 255w and using the instructions on that website i'm able walk straight to the cache every time.

I also have an ipod touch and I'll be interested in seeing how it works for you, good luck!

No, it's really not that bad, but paperless caching is so effortless on my iPod that I use that exclusively, especially now that I'm using Geosphere too. The Garmin is also awkward to carry as well, it's not rectangular like the iPod and it's FAT. :signalviolin: It's really a matter of preference though, and I like to keep as much on one device as possible.

I'm planning to compare both the Garmin and GPS powered iPod out on the field to see how their accuracy/usefulness measure up too. :laughing:

sounds like an interesting option as the ipod touch is a neat device.

any idea when your evaluation will start?

As soon as the GPS cradle is released, they said near the end of November, so I'm hoping to get it by the first week of December, just in time for a roadtrip to New England for a Christmas weekend. :P

I think the cradle idea is too late. The latest OS version enables Bluetooth. Bluetooth GPSs are much cheaper.

They only enabled one protocol (A2DP), making bluetooth only useful if you want to use wireless headphones. You can't even control skipping or use it as a headset (I've tried). I'm guessing the only way to get around this is to jailbreak the iPod, or we would have to wait until Apple officially supports additional protocols, and there's no indication when or if they even have such plans in the works. FAIL

I'm confused. The touch isn't set up to be used like the iPhone, which uses cellular/wifi signals, right? So how are you possibly geocaching unless you have wifi at all the places you geocache? My iPod Touch can only use GPS when I have a wifi signal, which is sparse where I live. I thought there wasn't any other way for an iPod Touch to acquire satellite signals for GPS navigating? You can't even use it as a phone unless you buy the hardware, get the app, and have a wifi signal. What are you doing different with your iPod touch?

I'm confused. The touch isn't set up to be used like the iPhone, which uses cellular/wifi signals, right? So how are you possibly geocaching unless you have wifi at all the places you geocache? My iPod Touch can only use GPS when I have a wifi signal, which is sparse where I live. I thought there wasn't any other way for an iPod Touch to acquire satellite signals for GPS navigating? You can't even use it as a phone unless you buy the hardware, get the app, and have a wifi signal. What are you doing different with your iPod touch?

That's what the GPS cradle will cover: http://gpscradle.dualav.com/cradle.html

Basically it docks a GPS receiver to the iPod, but what I like is that it doubles as a battery cradle and includes an external speaker/mic as well, so I can use Skype on it too (theoretically). It hasn't been released yet, but when it is, I'm picking one up right away. It comes with a free road navigation app with preloaded maps so no cell/internet is required.

Now if you were to use the Geocaching app on it, the GPS will pinpoint your location, but because you need the Internet to show the map, you won't see the map overhead. However, I'm using Geosphere for my paperless caching, and I find if you span the general area of the geocache, that map area gets saved onto the cache on your iPod and can still be shown even when you're offline. It makes using the iPod as a handheld GPS a viable alternative for most caching scenarios.)

Finally, if I did need internet access for anything (such as uploading a log find) I have my Verizon phone for that, which doubles as a "mifi" card. Simply put, I use software to convert my phone into a wifi hotspot, and my iPod can then surf the Internet via Verizon's 3G network. The downside is that the wifi sucks my cell's battery juice like a vampire, and eventually the battery dies after 2-3 hours. If I use it sparingly though, my iPod basically has access to the Internet anytime and anywhere there is a cell signal. :P

Edited by KingOfPain

I've been using the iGPS360 GPS module with my 1st gen ipod touch for about a month now and am very happy with it + the app store app. I won't go into details as it would not be appropriate, but it erm... does not work "out of the box" if you get my drift. But without a lot of effort I got it to work with no problem. It works well with a variety of apps - even the Geocaching app.

with the app store app, you can download your pocket queries easily to your ipod and they are available when wifi is out of sight. Also, you can search on your ipod at home with the app and save individual listings for offline viewing. I find no wifi in the field is not a huge problem, it would be nice but it's not essential if you have your main PQ set up to run daily and download it before you go.

I still use my nuvi (so it's not exclusive like this thread) to get near the cache but once I get near it's just me and my ipod to the cache. And actually for the nuvi, I only update that once in a while, so sometimes I'm doing the old fashioned arrow follow and just using hte Nuvi for road reference to get me there. It's actually kind of fun - reminds me of hte good ole days before routing GPS units :(

Then I have the paperless entry with me, hints, and can even log field notes while offline. The app stores them and when it sees you have a wifi connection will say something like "You have field notes saved, want to upload them?"

Then whala - it logs them automagically for you. IMO it's well worth the $10 for that feature alone :) I probably have 100+ unlogged finds out there.

I might end up using the Garmin exclusively for road navigation too, since the turn by turn apps out there so far are have been ridiculously flaky and may not be a viable alternative right now. I use the nuvi 500 for geocaching now and I seriously can not wait to dump it. I tried it for walking around the city today and not only is it awkward to hold, but seriously, if it's going to lose the GPS signal at least @#()ing tell me the names of the streets in my general vicinity. I zoom in and zoom out and it still could not tell me this one... simple... thing. I had to guesstimate using Google Maps instead, which was leaps and bounds faster and more intuitive than the stupid Garmin map. Yeesh.

Finally, if I did need internet access for anything (such as uploading a log find) I have my Verizon phone for that, which doubles as a "mifi" card. Simply put, I use software to convert my phone into a wifi hotspot, and my iPod can then surf the Internet via Verizon's 3G network. The downside is that the wifi sucks my cell's battery juice like a vampire, and eventually the battery dies after 2-3 hours. If I use it sparingly though, my iPod basically has access to the Internet anytime and anywhere there is a cell signal. :(

KOP could you elaborate a little more on what is required for this (phone features/type/model, Verizon plan/package, etc.)? my wife is interested in our getting a "mifi" but i saw that instead of $60/mo for that there is the option of using a phone as a modem for what looks like $15/mo for the same amount of data (5GB). my thought was, "if that could work with an iPod Touch, it would be almost like having an iPhone but with Verizon instead of ATT."

thanks!

I didn't see a price for the GPS cradle. Any idea on the price range for it?

$180 :)

Since that's the original price it will undoubtedly come down (especially once it's made available at Walmart) but I'm so anxious to get it that I'll probably pay that much for it. On the upside if it ends up replacing my Garmin which I paid $270 for, (which i would dump on eBay) it's probably not such a bad investment.

I too am thinking that this looks like a great setup for Geocaching. Especially adding in mobile wifi in the form of a MiFi which is already in my tool box.

I hope the GPS accuracy is decent. I hear iPhone GPS accuracy is not what it could be, and that bugs me because I've found my BlackBerry GPS accuracy to be as good as our Garmin Colorado.

Unfortunately, it looks like they are going to be late in delivering? FAQ on their site said by end of Nov 2009, and that would be today at the latest. I don't see the device in Amazon and I don't see the NavAtlas software in the iTunes store either. I hope the app isn't what's holding it up, I don't really care about that part, though it will be a nice added benefit for me.

Did I miss it? Did anyone else find the app or device?

Edited by JKC Otter

I too am thinking that this looks like a great setup for Geocaching. Especially adding in mobile wifi in the form of a MiFi which is already in my tool box.

I hope the GPS accuracy is decent. I hear iPhone GPS accuracy is not what it could be, and that bugs me because I've found my BlackBerry GPS accuracy to be as good as our Garmin Colorado.

Unfortunately, it looks like they are going to be late in delivering? FAQ on their site said by end of Nov 2009, and that would be today at the latest. I don't see the device in Amazon and I don't see the NavAtlas software in the iTunes store either. I hope the app isn't what's holding it up, I don't really care about that part, though it will be a nice added benefit for me.

Did I miss it? Did anyone else find the app or device?

Nope, they totally missed their release date. It would have made sense to release this just prior to Black Friday, but it looks like they dropped the ball here. Ah well, I can't see them not releasing it in the weeks to follow while it's still in the thick of the holiday shopping season, so hopefully it's just been delayed shortly.