odometer reading

kgb2

I recently went on a lengthy day walk and reset the odometer on my garmin legend hcx to record the distance travelled

All went well until on my way back I stopped of at the pub for a refreshment

On leaving the pub to continue I found that whilst I was in the pub I had travelled approx 2 miles as shown on the odometer(honest I only had one pint)

This has happened again recently, and am concerned that I am not getting a true and accurate reading

Whats the problem ? Dont suggest puting more water in the whisky, I have tried it

I recently went on a lengthy day walk and reset the odometer on my garmin legend hcx to record the distance travelled

All went well until on my way back I stopped of at the pub for a refreshment

On leaving the pub to continue I found that whilst I was in the pub I had travelled approx 2 miles as shown on the odometer(honest I only had one pint)

This has happened again recently, and am concerned that I am not getting a true and accurate reading

Whats the problem ? Dont suggest puting more water in the whisky, I have tried it

How long did it take you to drink the pint? Zoom in on the track log while you were at the bar. You'll see lots of points recorded. These represent the sampling error of a GPSR set to "sample by time" or sample by "Automatic", which also records by time. If you can set your unit to "Sample by Distance", and set the distance to greater than the radius of most of the error points, you can damp out the error. I tried this with my 60CSX and an hour of sitting still dropped from .6 miles (a point cloud sampled every 15 seconds or so) to 15 feet (just three points that fell outside the distance limit I set).