Tried using Ball's plastic Freezer Canning Jars?

kjk304

Has anyone tried using Ball's plastic freezer canning jars as an economical and waterproof container? We are planting several caches at a youth camp and were looking for a good container that was affordable. I just saw these on K-mart's website. http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_0...keyword=canning

I had no clue they were making plastic canning jars. They are only $3.99 for 3 32 oz plastic freezer canning jars which would be a great price for our group.

Thanks for your input!

I haven't seen those. Maybe a trip to Kmart is in order?

I poked around Ball's website, finding that they manufacture preforms. Very kewl!

http://www.ballamericas.com/img/media/Preforms%209.08.pdf

If they follow the pattern of the glass jars, (using screw on lids with gaskets), then I'd certainly be intrigued.

If it's just another Tupperware with a press on lid, I'll stick to Lock & Locks.

Has anyone tried using Ball's plastic freezer canning jars as an economical and waterproof container? We are planting several caches at a youth camp and were looking for a good container that was affordable. I just saw these on K-mart's website. http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_0...keyword=canning

I had no clue they were making plastic canning jars. They are only $3.99 for 3 32 oz plastic freezer canning jars which would be a great price for our group.

Thanks for your input!

No matter how you slice it, they would probably hold up much better than some of the containers out there.

Thanks for your input!

No matter how you slice it, they would probably hold up much better than some of the containers out there.

...like a ziplock bag...

Sorry, Dead Horse Flogging is Wednesday. With Veterans Day, I thought I'd get a jump on it...

...like a ziplock bag...

Sorry, Dead Horse Flogging is Wednesday. With Veterans Day, I thought I'd get a jump on it...

Yes, or the cheap plastic carpet tack container you get for $1 (including the carpet tacks).

I wish I had a film canister with me so I could have upgraded that container.

(note, sarcasm)

I have a set of the 16 oz I purchased from Walmart that I have not used yet. They have twist on lids with a one half inch lip that goes inside the jar when closed. I would suspect that this container would be waterproof. Since they are specically made for the freezer, I would think that you would not have any problem with them in freezing outdoor conditions..

Based on the pictures, I would expect that type of plastic to hold up 2 winters.

Yeah, those Las Vegas winters are harsh :lol:

Funny, I am a Midwesterner, too, and they are talking about harsh winters in Las Vegas. I got married in Las Vegas in January 2000 and walked to the chapel in a sleeveless dress and no coat.

In all seriousness I think those would work well for a cache but like all regular plastic expect to have to replace it due to breakage at some point. Even Lock and Locks are not fool proof for that. Rubbermaid has a good rendition of the lock and lock now,they call it Lock-Its and it has a rubberized seal to keep it water resistant. I also buy the Sterilite version of the Lock and Lock that Wal-Mart sells in a set for $19.99 here in Iowa, they seem to hold up to winter pretty well and they take paint well.

I was checking them out in Walmart not long ago and on the surface they seemed promising. Now that Lock n Locks are not easy to find cheaply, they may be an option. I will give them a shot soon.

Speaking of which, Just last winter I was able to find Farberware Lock-n-Lock clones, now they seem to have disappeared from the shelves. These things look OK to me. Screw top plastic containers seem to do pretty well, in general. Even the dreaded Peanut Butter Jars. With the smell removed of course. :lol:

Actually these little guys have worked great for me! Of my 55 caches, I have 7 caches of different sizes made with these containiers and now that the rains here in Washington have started Ive been doing cache check ups and they stay dry.

Only two real cons I have found: 1) While they vary in size, none of them break the "small" barrier. 2) Their odd size places some, but not alot of limits on swag.

Based on the pictures, I would expect that type of plastic to hold up 2 winters.

Which would mean a good price for the amount of time it lasts. :lol:

I personally think it might make it more than that considering they ARE freezer jars...could be mistaken though!

Container wise yes, but there's also the cost of replaceing the waterlogged swag and logbook.

Actually these little guys have worked great for me! Of my 55 caches, I have 7 caches of different sizes made with these containiers and now that the rains here in Washington have started Ive been doing cache check ups and they stay dry.

Only two real cons I have found: 1) While they vary in size, none of them break the "small" barrier. 2) Their odd size places some, but not alot of limits on swag.

I'd call 1) a PRO!!! :lol: