New Power Trail in Louisana

pissedfish

Has anyone seen this? I really want to plan to make this trip. :laughing:

This is taken from the cache description of the first cache in the series....

I thought it was about time that a real power trail was in place for my friends in Louisiana and Mississippi. This could be the best of all as there is great parking by EVERY cache, it is very rare to ever see a muggle, private property and real estate developments do not exist.........in short, it is a long road through a swamp. This section of Hwy 51 was called Old Hammond Hwy and some caches are hidden off the old blacktop road a few yards to the east. I-55 is to the west and you can hear the traffic from most search areas. Avoid the I-55 while doing this ( other than for access to either the north or south ends of the " trail"........you can not get to any caches from I-55. The vast majority of the hides will be of the Hang'm High varity but there will be a few wrinkles. This will be a great chance to set new records for your finds.........bring a lunch and drinks as you can stop ANYWHERE and let the tailgate down.

GC20GR1

This is interesting, but I think I'll do the one up in Bangor, ME first.

Jim

I had no idea! :laughing: That is insane! Now I have to figure out how to plan that trip as well. :rolleyes:

Might use the one in Louisana as a training run for the one in Maine!!!

Edited by pissedfish

Jim

Wouldn't interest me to be honest. All identically named micros. Not interested in Maine either. I'll go with the "NO CLUE" series in California, spelled out on the map. Here's the best I could do on a screen shot of the subject power trail. Got most of them.

4089717380_27b5ed1481.jpg

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Word from the cache owner is that there are supposed to be 144 in all. About 10 have not been approved yet.

I may get a couple when I'm in the area but I don't think I'll have the patience to do all of them. Or I may just do them all so that I can write a unique, relevant, 50 word log for each. :laughing:

...bring a lunch and drinks as you can stop ANYWHERE and let the tailgate down.

From the sounds of it, you'd never have a reason to put the tailgate up. Just keep all the cachers in the back, pull up, sign log, pull up, sign log, pull up, sign log... Not my thing, but to each his own.

(Dude, so sorry I've had your geocoin for so long. Best made plans and all that.)

Jim

Wouldn't interest me to be honest. All identically named micros. Not interested in Maine either. I'll go with the "NO CLUE" series in California, spelled out on the map. Here's the best I could do on a screen shot of the subject power trail. Got most of them.

4089717380_27b5ed1481.jpg

California? It took a bit but I found them on Hwy 51 in Louisiana. Guess they are traveling caches. :laughing:

Jim

Jim

California? It took a bit but I found them on Hwy 51 in Louisiana. Guess they are traveling caches. :laughing:

Jim

No, no, no. Out of the 3 power trails that have been mentioned in this forum in the last couple of weeks, I meant that the NO CLUE power trail in California is the only one I would have any interest in. Yes, that's old Highway 51 not far from New Orleans.

No, no, no. Out of the 3 power trails that have been mentioned in this forum in the last couple of weeks, I meant that the NO CLUE power trail in California is the only one I would have any interest in. Yes, that's old Highway 51 not far from New Orleans.

Got a GC number for one of them? I got nearly 500 hits on the search.

Jim

I wish my brother still lived in NOLA. I could take my oldest nephew for this run and let him do all of the hopping in/out while I enjoyed the tunes in the car. Except when we actually did stop for lunch. But any return trips to NOLA will probably be to attend Jazzfest with my wife. No way will she be interested in these. Of course there is always shopping along Magazine St. to keep her happy.

I enjoy an occasional power run, but since the route parallels the interstate, I wonder how peaceful and quiet it really is along that route?

My only complaint is that it's linear, so you have to double back. If the terrain is fairly flat, it would be great to do on bike.

Dude, it's South Louisiana. There's nothing but flat there!

(If they had kept going just a bit farther north, there would be one right in front of my grandma's old house.) This is a very scenic drive.

I wish my brother still lived in NOLA. I could take my oldest nephew for this run and let him do all of the hopping in/out while I enjoyed the tunes in the car. Except when we actually did stop for lunch. But any return trips to NOLA will probably be to attend Jazzfest with my wife. No way will she be interested in these. Of course there is always shopping along Magazine St. to keep her happy.

I enjoy an occasional power run, but since the route parallels the interstate, I wonder how peaceful and quiet it really is along that route?

Google Street view from the area of #5. Street view only seems to work for the more Southerly ones, for some reason.

4092070963_5b8cf409bd.jpg

It's not everyones cup of tea, but Bamboozle and Short_Circuit2 are some great guys that love Geocaching.

I had the pleasure of tackling this stretch of highway sunday with two other cachers. We met many other cachers over the course of the day (usually also in groups). So it can be almost a mobile event and I know I enjoyed the company.

There is not much road noise from 55, the trees are an excellent sound barrier. It's a wonderful scenic drive with lots of South Louisiana wetlands and temperate forests and very little traffic. We saw loads of fishermen and duck hunters going off to the shores of Ponchatrain.

The vast majority of the hides will be of the Hang'm High varity but there will be a few wrinkles.

What type is this?

I'm going to guess guardrail given the proximity to the road, but I could be pleasantly surprised.

But my first question would be "what does varity mean?" Vanna, I'd like to buy an "e" for $200.

Edited by Castle Mischief

But my first question would be "what does varity mean?" Vanna, I'd liek to buy an "e" for $200.

You already have one, but its in the wrong spot.

BTW: I'm guessing that a "Hang 'em High" cache is suspended from a tree by string.

D'oh! (Fixed in the edit.)

I thought the same, but...136 times? I guess that would take some kind of special dedication. To what I'm not sure.

The vast majority of the hides will be of the Hang'm High varity but there will be a few wrinkles.

What type is this?

I'm going to guess guardrail given the proximity to the road, but I could be pleasantly surprised.

But my first question would be "what does varity mean?" Vanna, I'd like to buy an "e" for $200.

It's a film can or pill bottle spraypainted camo which is wrapped with floral wire and hung in a tree bush, etc.

There are two guardrail caches in the 144 caches, 4 (I think) roadside sign hides, a couple Lock N Locks, and some unique caches.

Wareagle59 and I completed the trail yesterday, including the 5 not yet published. We did it in two trips over two weekends, doing the first 94 published and then finishing the next weekend after more were published. I will agree that each individual cache was not much of a challenge, but we did have fun on each trip.

A lot of the fun came from meeting other groups of cachers on the trail, racing each other to see if who could get a FTF, who could find the caches faster, finding the more difficult hides, and general trail foolishness that occurs among groups of friends. Did not see any gators, but plenty of turtles, snakes, herons, egrets, frogs, and LOTS of hungry skeeters.

Overall, a fun trail, got to see lots of friends, and it does add to your numbers. Some of the hides are a little tougher than others by being put further back in the swamp or in not so obvious locations. Good job Bamboozle and SC2!

I have a pallet of ammo cans, you think anyone would be offended if I made those a power trail?

Everything offends somebody. Some folks will whine no matter what kind of free entertainment you offer them.

I know i don't agree with KBI sometimes, but boy, he certainly hit the nail on the head with this reply! B)