queston for anyone using openstreetmap

ras_oscar

justy found the resource. Nice to have free routable maps for mapsource. I apologize for asking here, but the openstreet map forum isn't accepting new registrations.

I selected contiguous tiles from 3 non contiguous areas ( a group of tiles in 3 parts of the country) and received them as 3 mapsource install files. However, when I install them only the last one installed is available. I tried both installing in the same directorty and installaion in 3 separate directories. Has anyonce installed multiple opensreet map sets and had them work together?

If your talking about the OSM Garmin map downloads from here: http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

I gave up on the mapsource installer awhile ago. It was always missing allot of data that should have been included for the area I selected.

Since I have more than one MicroSD card I just load one with my garmin maps and have the other for OSM maps. The only advantage to having the maps loaded into mapsource was seeing them on a nice large screen/ being able to load them with other mapsets. Since I have two cards & can already seen the maps on OSM website I found the mapsource installer pointless.

Much Much easier to just load the gmapsupp.img file to my spare microSD card.

any idea what the limit in on map segments downloaded from the openstreets site? twicwe i tried to select "everything I needed and was told I selected too many, but not how many i cold select. In a perfect world I'd have the entire CONUS and select the areas I need this week, like for the Ibycus set.

I've built multiple garmin maps using OSM data. With modern garmin GPSes that use cards you can actually find software to make it happen. I suggest looking at the OSM wiki for help (search for "garmin"). It is not, unfortunately, easy for those who are just looking for a simple method.

An alternative is to download pre-made ones from cloudmade:

http://downloads.cloudmade.com/

They offer downloads of garmin .img files and .osm data files in large chunks. The .img files, though, are "debuging" mode .img files and actually don't look fantastic in the device (IMHO) which is why i end up re-rendering them myself.