60Cx or 60CSx

jocchino

looking at adding a dedicated GPSr to my current iphone. Does the electronic compass really work well, aka does anyone use it or should I save the $ and go for a Cx? I have read some mixed reviews of the compass, and as I am very new to this, wanted to get some opinions. BTW, Not really interested in the altimeter portion of the CSx.

Thanks

looking at adding a dedicated GPSr to my current iphone. Does the electronic compass really work well, aka does anyone use it or should I save the $ and go for a Cx? I have read some mixed reviews of the compass, and as I am very new to this, wanted to get some opinions. BTW, Not really interested in the altimeter portion of the CSx.

Thanks

Endlessly debated in the GPS & Technology forum. I suggest posting there.

Some people wound never buy a GPS without a magnetic, electronic compass. Others would never buy one with one. I'm in the former camp. The chief advantage is that your GPS can determine direction when you aren't moving.

For units without the electronic, magnetic compass you need to be moving at a fairly brisk pace for it to be able to determine direction because it uses the sats to determine direction of travel. If you stop or slow down too much, the GPS gets confused.

Sounds like a no brainer for the 60CSX at first glance.

Maybe, but the electronic compass requires frequent calibration. At least every time you change batteries and sometimes in between. Magnetic compasses also eat batteries faster with some models. They are also susceptible to interference from large deposits of iron ore (if you live in an area that has them) as well as other large metal objects.

It's basically a matter of preference. You can augment a 60CX with a $10 hand held compass, or you can have

the compass in a single package in a 60CSX.

I have a 60CSx, and I say don't bother with the electronic compass. When you are stopped or travelling slowly, you have to hold it *exactly* level, or it won't work. I have only ever had the message "hold level" appear on the screen. Someone else I know gets the same message. The compass is not worth it. Buy yourself a $10 Silva compass. It'll be far more reliable.