Google Earth

pyro07

Is it an Unfair advantage to urban caches, it can usually put me right on top of it within a minute of getting out of the truck because i can see landmarks and such im currently only using google earth no gps yet but i just started last thursday and i am already 18 for 18 i havent had one yet that i havent found but the hardest ive done has been a difficulty of about 2 stars heres and example of what i get using google earth i take a screenshot then paste it into paint and copy paste the clues and carry my laptop in my pack and if i get stumped i pull it out and take a 2nd look

iwantasandwich.jpg

this was one i found last night

And your point is?

I like this "quickie" way of identifying a location I can hop out to on my way home from work, or anytime I don't have my GPS.

Incidentally, I have listed a DNF once while using this method, so it isn't all a giveaway.

And on top of that, I have heard many cachers start out this way, to see if they like caching, before they spend hard-earned dosh on a GPS unit.

ok i was just kind of wondering because it was almost too easy at times so all i was wondering is if it was an unfair thing to you guys :laughing:

It's not "unfair". It isn't geocaching though.

Groundspeak specifically states that you need to use a GPS device to find the caches.

Having said that, I don't care how you find them as long as you put them back and don't let people see you getting it or putting it back.

ok i was just kind of wondering because it was almost too easy at times so all i was wondering is if it was an unfair thing to you guys :laughing:

Groundspeak specifically states that you need to use a GPS device to find the caches.

Having said that, I don't care how you find them as long as you put them back and don't let people see you getting it or putting it back.

Where does Groundspeak state that?

On this page http://www.geocaching.com/about/finding.aspx

The comment was half tongue-in-cheek but there isn't an emoticon for that.

ok i was just kind of wondering because it was almost too easy at times so all i was wondering is if it was an unfair thing to you guys :rolleyes:

On this page http://www.geocaching.com/about/finding.aspx

The comment was half tongue-in-cheek but there isn't an emoticon for that.

There is an emoticon that displays some sense of sarcasm.

I would really like to see where on the page you linked that say geocaching is only for those with a gps?

It isn't called 'gpscaching'. Look up what "geo" means.

I agree that a gps makes the game easier and even more fun but, it can even be done with a map, compass and a little knowledge.

Heck... it can even be done with google! :laughing:

Hey Pyro,

We're glad you're having fun. But since you aren't buying a GPSr, please take some of the money you saved and buy some punctuation marks.

Here are a few to get you started:

.....,,,,,!!!!,,,

sorry i struggle with punctuation i must have missed those days in school but i will try to add them and i am planning on getting one eventually

And your point is?

I like this "quickie" way of identifying a location I can hop out to on my way home from work, or anytime I don't have my GPS.

If this were a game about how to find locations (whether based on lat/long coordinates) or a satellite photo (which may have been taken well in the past) then Google Earth is just another tool that can be used to bring you to a specific location.

However, the game is geocaching and the goal is to find geocaches. Google earth won't find geocaches, nor sign the log book for you.

I also have google maps mobile (with satellite pics) on my phone, with the GPS enabled dot to show where I am. Glad it is working for you in your area. Some areas are bang on. But some areas are not accurate. I was able to use it to navigate paths in a nature park without a flashlight (at night) by using google maps mobile. It was super accurate. But an area only about 13km (7miles?) away, the photos are off by about 70m (80 yards?).

As for the no DNF issue, don't worry, you will get some soon. Even the best cachers get DNFs. Can be because of a difficult cache that the owner thought was not that difficult, so labeled as a 1 or 2, could be because it was muggled etc.