Where can I buy magnets for my caches ?

Aquanalie

If you pay for magnets, your nuts. Make friends with your nearest computer shop manager. Ask him to keep any dead computer hard drives for you. When you get them, disassemble them for the magnets inside. Super strong, and thin as, can be used for almost any cache container. The biggest issue is finding an adhesive strong enough to hold the magnet to the container. After a few retrievals, the adhesive usually lets go, and the magnet stays put on the structure. These days, I usually put the magnet inside the container.

At an event I went to a few months ago, I took about 50 dead hard drives with me, and ran a bit of a demo as to how to pull them apart, and gave them all away to anyone who wanted them. They went down a treat.

Cheers

Bundy

If you pay for magnets, your nuts. Make friends with your nearest computer shop manager. Ask him to keep any dead computer hard drives for you. When you get them, disassemble them for the magnets inside. Super strong, and thin as, can be used for almost any cache container. The biggest issue is finding an adhesive strong enough to hold the magnet to the container. After a few retrievals, the adhesive usually lets go, and the magnet stays put on the structure. These days, I usually put the magnet inside the container.

At an event I went to a few months ago, I took about 50 dead hard drives with me, and ran a bit of a demo as to how to pull them apart, and gave them all away to anyone who wanted them. They went down a treat.

Cheers

Bundy

I agree with the concept of using hard drive magnets but it also depends on whether or not you calculate your time on a monetary level (I don't with hobby stuff).

Also, hard drive magnets can be the wrong shape. True they are easy to break and all but once broke they are exposed to oxidation. May or may not be a problem for some.

Overall, I like using new magnets for most of my projects but I just can't see tossing perfectly good hard drive magnets in the garbage. I remove every one of them before trashing a drive.

P.S. If you ever get OLD computers, the older the computer, the bigger the magnet. I have a MONSTER of a magnet that was removed from an OLD computer. It had 8 disks that were 7 inches in diameter. It's the strongest magnet I have ever played with,

I just recently bought a bunch from Magnet4Less / Applied Magnets (the same store bittsen linked to for the magnet with a hole through it). They had the best price I could find for epoxy coated magnets. Unfortunately they didn't have any 3/8" x 1/16" epoxy coated, which are the ones I seem to use the most from a purchase from a forgotten vendor some years back.

I ordered some from DealExtreme as well. They haven't arrived, so I don't know what kind of quality they are, but they're a bit cheaper.