Lost TB

Truscott

I started a couple of TB's (about 2 months ago). They never moved, and nevered moved.....I had a chance to go back and check on them. Both TB's where gone.....I was the last person to sign the log (and no new logs had appeared online). I plan to use the "copy" tag and start them once again. Here's my question....Do I just start over with the "copy" tag or do I mark the original "as missing" ?

Thanks,

Truscott

A couple months isn't enough time to assume your bugs are lost. You need to give it more time.

Go ahead and mark it as missing so people aren't expecting to find it in a cache. Then if you need to re-release it pull it back out and log the bug into a cache as normal. Your copy tag will simply take over for the original bug page. You can change the traveler, name, description, and mission/goal.

If no one had logged the bug yet you can delete the first drop, if you wish.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Yes it's only been about 2 months.....but no one has logged the find or signed the log in the cache after my find. If someone had signed the cache log but forgot to log it, I would think it's still out there. But with the TB's missing from the cache and no new names on the log, I'm pretty sure the bugs are gone.....they were a couple of gold looking metallic coins with the tag, for a race between my geography classes (Geo-Lopes 3 and Geo-Lopes 6). I'll wait a few more weeks than probably re-release with the copy tags.

Thanks!

Yes it's only been about 2 months.....but no one has logged the find or signed the log in the cache after my find. If someone had signed the cache log but forgot to log it, I would think it's still out there. But with the TB's missing from the cache and no new names on the log, I'm pretty sure the bugs are gone.....they were a couple of gold looking metallic coins with the tag, for a race between my geography classes (Geo-Lopes 3 and Geo-Lopes 6). I'll wait a few more weeks than probably re-release with the copy tags.

Thanks!

With regards to now signature in the logs, it's possible whomever grabbed them has found the cache before and stopped to grab the TB's. Now, if they were doing that you would think they would log the TB's, but it could have been a stop on day of caching and they just forgot. I have been to caches for TB stops without signing the log book because I'd already found it before. I'd wait another month at least before considering it missing. Sorry to hear that happened.

Thanks!

With regards to now signature in the logs, it's possible whomever grabbed them has found the cache before and stopped to grab the TB's. Now, if they were doing that you would think they would log the TB's, but it could have been a stop on day of caching and they just forgot. I have been to caches for TB stops without signing the log book because I'd already found it before. I'd wait another month at least before considering it missing. Sorry to hear that happened.

Didn't think of that......I've done the same thing myself. I guess I'm getting antsy since this is for my classes and I won't have these kids after next May. (They ask a couple of times a week if the bugs ghave moved!)

Anyway, thanks!

WFLopes (Truscott)

Never give up on a trackable, I had one come back to life this year after almost 2 years and another one after about 18 months. Now I say that but I think 40 of mine are listed as "unknown location" TB heaven I suppose. :lol:

I've had the same happen with some of my own TB's also......maybe. I'm afraid school will be over (next May) before they are found and my geography classes will have moved on!

Thanks for the input!

WFLopes

Middle school kids see the travel tags as bling and collect them. Nothing much you can do about it.

True, but at least this wasn't my kids. I showed the TB's to the classes and then I took them to Lubbock (about an hour away from our school) Most likely the bugs are gone, but I'll keep hoping.

We just had another thread the other day, the TB came back after 7+ years! You just never know.

That is true. One of mine was gone for a year and then I got an email from someone that had found the TB. It had drop down in their backpack and they just didn't see it (and had forgotten about it! I'll keep hoping, but I'll probably re=release these in a few more weeks so my geography kids can still have their race. One thing that makes me think they might really be gone is the fact that the bugs were very nice metallic coins (not gold, but sure did look like gold!) I remember thinking when I ordered the coins that I should have ordered the antique bronze instead of the Merlin -Gold! The cache I left them is is well hidden, but it's in a park in Lubbock that gets alot of people on the weekends! When I re-release the bugs, it will most likely be attached to just a card!

Thanks everyone for all the info!

Truscott (WFLopes)

So my bug has been missing for a while now.

People are bugging me to change its' status to missing.

How do I do that?

On the Bug page, under Trackable Item Options is the option "Mark item Missing". Click Go.

You can always retrieve it back out at a later time if it is found or re-released.

Edit: looks like someone took care of it for you.

Edited by BlueDeuce

So my bug has been missing for a while now.

People are bugging me to change its' status to missing.

How do I do that?

On the Bug page, under Trackable Item Options is the option "Mark item Missing". Click Go.

You can always retrieve it back out at a later time if it is found or re-released.

Edit: looks like someone took care of it for you.

Clarification for cachers with the same question. . .

The "move to missing" can ONLY be done by the owner of the traveler, the owner of the cache where the travler is logged into, or by a reviewer. Other cachers are limited to just posting notes indicating that the traveler is no longer present (NO tracking code required for this).

I had lost a TB, at least it seemed so, marking it as missing when yesterday someone discovered it in cache.

He was so king to post a note as well to let me know in wich cache he discovered my TB.

Reading logs of that cache now i know another geocacher immediately after took out my TB but he hasn't log it yet.

I sent him an email asking to log as grabbed bau no replies till now...

What else can I do?

What else can I do?

Just wait, not everybody is quick to do their logging or read their email. They may be confused what to do since it's out to an unknown location.

Give them another week. Then send them a polite email letting them know they can Grab the bug into their possession.

They logged in my TB as Grab just this morning.

What a nice Xmas present to see again my TB along its journey :laughing: