Which Handheld do you recommend?

brizicurn

We have been geocaching for over a year now and LOVE it. With our son being 16 months old now, it is easier to take him places. With all of that said...we have been using my iPhone, my hubands Blackberry or our car GPS. I would like to buy my husband a handheld GPS for Christmas. What do you all recommend...we geocache quite a bit...at least 1-2 times a week and on the weekends. Thanks in advance for the help. I want him to have something nice...he deserves it. :huh:

Jenny

We have been geocaching for over a year now and LOVE it. With our son being 16 months old now, it is easier to take him places. With all of that said...we have been using my iPhone, my hubands Blackberry or our car GPS. I would like to buy my husband a handheld GPS for Christmas. What do you all recommend...we geocache quite a bit...at least 1-2 times a week and on the weekends. Thanks in advance for the help. I want him to have something nice...he deserves it. :huh:

Jenny

I'm sure you'll get scores of replies to this as we all love our own kit and not many have tried several GPS devices. WIth that warning I will contribute that if you want a dedicated GPSr, my Garmin Oregon gives terrific paperless caching and is well integrated with activities on the Geocaching website. It is simple & intuitive to use with touchscreen control. I find it accurate and have no problems with my 200 version (the bottom of the range). It feels a bit bulky in comparison to modern mobile phones.

By the way, this came to me as an early birthday present and I regard it as one of my best pressies for years (I wonder what I'll get when the birthday actually arrives!?)

We have been geocaching for over a year now and LOVE it. With our son being 16 months old now, it is easier to take him places. With all of that said...we have been using my iPhone, my hubands Blackberry or our car GPS. I would like to buy my husband a handheld GPS for Christmas. What do you all recommend...we geocache quite a bit...at least 1-2 times a week and on the weekends. Thanks in advance for the help. I want him to have something nice...he deserves it. :lol:

Jenny

Edited by OldA'sFan

We have been geocaching for over a year now and LOVE it. With our son being 16 months old now, it is easier to take him places. With all of that said...we have been using my iPhone, my hubands Blackberry or our car GPS. I would like to buy my husband a handheld GPS for Christmas. What do you all recommend...we geocache quite a bit...at least 1-2 times a week and on the weekends. Thanks in advance for the help. I want him to have something nice...he deserves it. :lol:

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Your hubby is a lucky guy. If your budget is around $400 I would go for the Oregon 300. It's a great unit for geocaching, and since you now use an IPhone you will appreciate it's touch screen. I highly recommend buying at REI because they have such an excellent return policy. If hubby doesn't like the unit they are more than happy to exchange or give your money back. You can find the 300 cheaper at some other outlets (Amazon for one), but I love REI because of their return policy.

OldA'sFan

Thank you ALL so much for your help...I want to buy one that is worth it and he won't want to upgrade. To me that is cheaper in the long run :unsure: As for my husband being a lucky guy...I'm the lucky one, he is a great man, hard working and a great husband and father. I love to make his Christmas wonderful because he makes all year wonderful for Owen and I. I will keep you posted. We had a wonderful weekend here...temp got up to about 65 degrees, so guess what we did-LOL...yep, geochached!!!

Jenny

Hi Jenny. As you can see the Garmin GPSr's are certainly what the majority of the folks in geocaching use, but there's another very good and affordable option that I'd like to suggest. That would be the Delorme PN-40. It's paperless, comes with maps for North America included at no extra cost, has the capability to download aerial imagery (like Google Earth) onto your GPSr and many other features. If you'd like to read a post I wrote detailing the pros and cons of owning a Delorme PN-40 you can CLICK HERE .

You mention you don't want your hubby to need to upgrade in the future. That's a pretty wise way to look at it if you can afford to go for a more top of the line GPSr. The Delorme PN-40 is one of those units that he will be able to use for a long time without feeling the need to upgrade. If you do end up going with the Delorme PN-40 then you may want to CLICK HERE to view a forum thread that has lots of really good information for new PN-30 and PN-40 owners. Like every GPSr there is a learning curve and the info in that thread will assist him in working through the learning curve.

One HUGE advantage if you are interested in buying soon is that as of this morning it is still on sale at Amazon.com for only $199 vs. the normal MSRP of $399. I have no idea how long that sale price will be in effect so you may want to check it out sooner rather than later.

Regardless of which GPSr you end up going with it might be a good idea to go to Amazon.com or another online retailer and read up on the reviews that different GPSr models get from their owners. We all are very happy with our own GPSr's, but rarely does anybody speak up about the cons of their favorite units so reading the reviews may give you a more well rounded picture.

One last piece of advise and then I'll shut up. Make sure to save the receipt and box. That way if you decide you made a bad choice you can always return it and get something else. Good luck in finding the best GPSr for you caching needs! :unsure:

A GPS is such a personal item, I second ngrrfan's suggestion to give him a gift certificate to let him pick what he probably already has in mind. Or, simply ask him which units he considers ideal without actually saying he's going to get one for xmas.

BTW, I cache with an Etrex Vista HCx and am very happy with it. If I ever need to upgrade, it will be to an Oregon 500 unless something else pops up.

We have been geocaching for over a year now and LOVE it. With our son being 16 months old now, it is easier to take him places. With all of that said...we have been using my iPhone, my hubands Blackberry or our car GPS. I would like to buy my husband a handheld GPS for Christmas. What do you all recommend...we geocache quite a bit...at least 1-2 times a week and on the weekends. Thanks in advance for the help. I want him to have something nice...he deserves it. :unsure:

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Your hubby is a lucky guy. If your budget is around $400 I would go for the Oregon 300. It's a great unit for geocaching, and since you now use an IPhone you will appreciate it's touch screen. I highly recommend buying at REI because they have such an excellent return policy. If hubby doesn't like the unit they are more than happy to exchange or give your money back. You can find the 300 cheaper at some other outlets (Amazon for one), but I love REI because of their return policy.

OldA'sFan

Amazon is just as good on returns, they even pay to have it shipped back. With Amazon there i=s no tax and shipping to pay for.

We have been geocaching for over a year now and LOVE it. With our son being 16 months old now, it is easier to take him places. With all of that said...we have been using my iPhone, my hubands Blackberry or our car GPS. I would like to buy my husband a handheld GPS for Christmas. What do you all recommend...we geocache quite a bit...at least 1-2 times a week and on the weekends. Thanks in advance for the help. I want him to have something nice...he deserves it. :unsure:

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

OldA'sFan

Amazon is just as good on returns, they even pay to have it shipped back. With Amazon there i=s no tax and shipping to pay for.

Yes, Amazon does have a very good returns policy. However, it is not as good as REI's 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. You can have a item for a year or more and if you aren't satisfied with the item REI will refund your money no questions asked. It is the best returns policy that I know of. It applies to everything REI sells. Go on line and read the policy.

There are numerous top end units on sale right now. Picking one is a problem. Giving hubby a gift certificate may not be effective - the sales will be over by the time he gets to use it.

You have paperless with your iPhone. Perhaps a new Garmin 60CSx would be the way to go.

Edited by Minimike2

We have been geocaching for over a year now and LOVE it. With our son being 16 months old now, it is easier to take him places. With all of that said...we have been using my iPhone, my hubands Blackberry or our car GPS. I would like to buy my husband a handheld GPS for Christmas. What do you all recommend...we geocache quite a bit...at least 1-2 times a week and on the weekends. Thanks in advance for the help. I want him to have something nice...he deserves it. :)

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

OldA'sFan