Hunter etiqutte (meaning the kind with guns)

Vartan84

Human have a very distinctive walk, no other animal tramps though leaves the same way, and hunted animals are extremely tuned in to any differences, any deer within earshot knew you were there long ago.

During deer season here, and I presume elsewhere, hunter orange is only worn during firearms season, bow hunters are heavily camouflaged as they must get much closer to the deer to have a chance of killing it, so no, he should not have had orange on.

Yes... humans are distinctive... by shape, movement, scent and quite a few other things... any of which will spook a deer or other animal.

As for camouflage for hunters... I am not sure why they do that... especially for deer... military style camo is designed to conceal things from human eyes... which lets out deer... they are colour blind... everything is shades of gray... I always presume the camoed ones are either paintballers or poachers, or simply got a good buy on surplus clothing... theoretically you could have almost any colour of camo to replace green brown etc. One company makes excellent deer camo out of black white and some gray... pattern is their own design which eliminates human shape from all angles... as long as you are still.

The important thing would be to break up the human shape, and above all to not move or make noise.

We always had to be visible regardless of season... back when I was a hunter in Ontario... orange or electric blue... and your licence was to be displayed on the exterior (large numbers). Bet they don't do that in PA.

I agree that not all animals have bad colour vision, many have superior traits in that respect. I've read here about a duck hunter... but he used a blind to shield him from the ducks, to bad it didn't work on cachers...

HIM I feel sorry for. TAR didn't mention if they moved on quickly to let him finish his day in peace. I assume so.

Anyway, I'm behind all people in the field during hunting seasons ( or anytime for that matter) being visible to all others. Makes finding the lost ones easier for us SAR types.

Doug 7rxc

The fact that the hunter was armed keeps coming up, the implication being that one who upsets a hunter does so at some risk.

Sorry Ed, but that's not the implication at all. The fact that he was a hunter is secondary.

The primary concern is that he is so uptight that he's willing to scream profanities at strangers who had a legal right to be where they were, doing what they were doing. Take the hunter aspect entirely out of the equation. If these kids had shown a video of them coming across a bird watcher who was armed, and the bird watcher started screaming profanities at them, would going back "out of spite", ( a quote from the video), be smart?

It wouldn't matter if the guy was a hiker, a photographer or an angler.

He was irrationally angry, and he was armed with a deadly weapon.

Confronting anyone who fits that description is a job for fools... or deputies. :)

"You see, my theory is that hunting goes hand in hand with heavy drinking."

Are all your theories this general? I hunt geocaches as well as quail, and heavy drinking is not included in either sport.

Let's see. I am armed with a GPS and they are armed with a weapon intended to kill a large animal.

I say it's no contest.

On a similar note. Today I went to do some cache maintenance on one of my caches and when I was done and about to get back on the trail, I saw a pair of hunters coming up the trail. If I had known they were down there, I wouldn't have done the maintenance today.

A human can be, and has been, mistaken for a deer or even elk. When it comes right down to it, the hunter would be wrong to shoot you but it won't matter if he is a good shot and you are dead.

Let's see. I am armed with a GPS and they are armed with a weapon intended to kill a large animal.

I say it's no contest.

On a similar note. Today I went to do some cache maintenance on one of my caches and when I was done and about to get back on the trail, I saw a pair of hunters coming up the trail. If I had known they were down there, I wouldn't have done the maintenance today.

You see, my theory is that hunting goes hand in hand with heavy drinking. A human can be, and has been, mistaken for a deer or even elk. When it comes right down to it, the hunter would be wrong to shoot you but it won't matter if he is a good shot and you are dead.

What a Jerk.