Hunter etiqutte (meaning the kind with guns)

Vartan84

Just because someone has a weapon doesn't mean they are dangerous. This is a perception many people have. Most anything can be a deadly weapon so why aren't you [anyone] afraid of everyone?

I can understand him being mad. I'm not sure if you left right away but if you didn't I'd think it was rude and unthoughtful.

Think about it. He had been there for hours and you pretty much ruined any chance he had to make a kill.

I can't understand one bit why you would be upset. I completely understand why the hunter would be upset.

I won't shoot them, but I believe an errant round very near them might convince them to cease trespassing.

oh, man. that is SUCH a bad idea.

anyway.

i was thinking today about somebody or other's assetion that sitting in a blind or stand isn't real hunting.

do y'all realize that hunters don't just wander into the woods and set up shop? many of them will scout locations for weeks, tracking animal behavior and if you think that's not a real hunt, you gots a nuther thing coming.

on the topic of morons-with-guns (whom i place in a different class than actual hunters) in a town near my house maybe five years ago a "hunter" shot a guy because he "thought it was a deer". the guy who got killed didn't happen to have been wearing blaze orange, because at the time he was shot, he was INSIDE HIS HOUSE, WATCHING FOOTBALL.

naturally, an egregious moron moment like that got a lot of press coverage and it's still the gold standard to which all other moron moments in my region are compared.

one of my neighbors lost a thoroughbred horse in a safety zone last year, shot from across a road, open meadows on both sides.

I'm not sure if I'd call you a "hunting god"...

Just ask my kids. They keep me humble. When I announce that I'm going slip hunting, my daughter often asks, "Ya going traipsing about the woods with your gun again?" (Sigh...) When I load my treestand in the truck, I get "Ya gonna go take a nap up in a tree again?" I think it's safe to say I haven't been deified by the hunting community. No God complex here. :)

...When I load my treestand in the truck, I get "Ya gonna go take a nap up in a tree again?"...

Next time your kids ask you this, tell them: "Don't knock it till ya try it." There's nothing like falling asleep in your treestand, especially on a cold December morning, and being woken up as the warm sun begins to shine on your face. Is there anything finer?

Edited by rocketsteve

...When I load my treestand in the truck, I get "Ya gonna go take a nap up in a tree again?"...

Next time your kids ask you this, tell them: "Don't knock it till ya try it." There's nothing like falling asleep in your treestand, especially on a cold December morning, and being woken up as the warm sun begins to shine on your face. Is there anything finer?

The feel of a warm body snuggling up to you on an equally cold weekend morning~

And if you disagree, you need to get your priorities straight

:)

The feel of a warm body snuggling up to you on an equally cold weekend morning~

And if you disagree, you need to get your priorities straight

:angry:

I do have my priorities straight, and the snuggling part happens 6 mornings prior to and 6 mornings after the day of my hunt. Just because you're afraid to leave the house before the sun comes up doesn't mean the rest of us are. :)

I do have my priorities straight, and the snuggling part happens 6 mornings prior to and 6 mornings after the day of my hunt. Just because you're afraid to leave the house before the sun comes up doesn't mean the rest of us are. :)

Afraid to leave my house? Dude, I START caching at 11PM.

I'm just missing that warm body to keep me IN the house at night.

DNR wouldn't enter onto the property without permission.

And a cell call to the local Sheriff would have been placed at first sight.

im not sure where your from but dnr needs no permission what so ever to come onto property! police officers do need permission but conservation police or "dnr" do not need permission what so ever. how else would they check people for hunting licenses and foid cards? stand on the property line calling for any hunters to come out? hahahahahaah sorry to burst your bubble but yes they can just walk on to your private property or they wouldnt be able to do there job

I'm not sure where your from but dnr needs no permission what so ever to come onto property! police officers do need permission but conservation police or "dnr" do not need permission what so ever. how else would they check people for hunting licenses and foid cards? stand on the property line calling for any hunters to come out? hahahahahaah sorry to burst your bubble but yes they can just walk on to your private property or they wouldnt be able to do there job

yep in Canada they have just as much power as a customs officer they can rip your vehicle apart looking for what ever they want to (that is if you give them attitude)

I won't shoot them, but I believe an errant round very near them might convince them to cease trespassing.

oh, man. that is SUCH a bad idea.

anyway.

i was thinking today about somebody or other's assertion that sitting in a blind or stand isn't real hunting.

do y'all realize that hunters don't just wander into the woods and set up shop? many of them will scout locations for weeks, tracking animal behavior and if you think that's not a real hunt, you gots a nuther thing coming.

on the topic of morons-with-guns (whom i place in a different class than actual hunters) in a town near my house maybe five years ago a "hunter" shot a guy because he "thought it was a deer". the guy who got killed didn't happen to have been wearing blaze orange, because at the time he was shot, he was INSIDE HIS HOUSE, WATCHING FOOTBALL.

naturally, an egregious moron moment like that got a lot of press coverage and it's still the gold standard to which all other moron moments in my region are compared.

one of my neighbors lost a thoroughbred horse in a safety zone last year, shot from across a road, open meadows on both sides.

Nice post flask. I'm in full agreement with all your points.

An interesting sidelight...

We used to have debates in town hall meetings when the DNR threatened to ban rifles and only allow shotguns for deer hunting in our county. Their logic was that slugs don't travel as far, which is true; and therefore would be safer, which is false. So a local "mythbuster" (years before the cool TV show) set up a test. He fired a rifle at a car in a junkyard. The bullet hit the first door and flattened out and didn't make it through the door. Then he fired a shotgun slug at the same car. The slug went through both doors and out the other side. That mythbuster presented a lot of other data and in the end he helped talk the DNR out of the rifle ban in our county.

I've detected an overtly sarcastic and/or negative tone whenever you post on this forum. Is your life so bad that you have absolutely nothing positive to contribute? Is it possible that the reason you're "just missing that warm body to keep you IN the house at night" is because you have such a depressing outlook on life? It's the simple pleasures in life that add a little sparkle, and yet, all you've done, in your latest postings, is make every effort to belittle the simple pleasures that I, and people like me, look forward to on a daily basis. I pray that you find a reason to not be negative, because that's a terrible way to live your life. Our time on this planet is short, and I intend on trying to enjoy my life as much as possible, and I'm looking to bring as many people with me as I can.

I'm not sure where your from but dnr needs no permission what so ever to come onto property! police officers do need permission but conservation police or "dnr" do not need permission what so ever. how else would they check people for hunting licenses and foid cards? stand on the property line calling for any hunters to come out? hahahahahaah sorry to burst your bubble but yes they can just walk on to your private property or they wouldnt be able to do there job

yep in Canada they have just as much power as a customs officer they can rip your vehicle apart looking for what ever they want to (that is if you give them attitude)

I really do not think this is true. They cannot rip a vehicle apart looking unless you give them permission.

Sure... much like the US they can hold you until a dog comes out and sniffs your car and then they say "the dog hit on it" this will quickly be disallowed in court. Of course this only applies if you have nothing hidden in your car.

I've detected an overtly sarcastic and/or negative tone whenever you post on this forum. Is your life so bad that you have absolutely nothing positive to contribute? Is it possible that the reason you're "just missing that warm body to keep you IN the house at night" is because you have such a depressing outlook on life? It's the simple pleasures in life that add a little sparkle, and yet, all you've done, in your latest postings, is make every effort to belittle the simple pleasures that I, and people like me, look forward to on a daily basis. I pray that you find a reason to not be negative, because that's a terrible way to live your life. Our time on this planet is short, and I intend on trying to enjoy my life as much as possible, and I'm looking to bring as many people with me as I can.

I consider this a personal attack.

I really do not think this is true. They cannot rip a vehicle apart looking unless you give them permission.

Sure... much like the US they can hold you until a dog comes out and sniffs your car and then they say "the dog hit on it" this will quickly be disallowed in court. Of course this only applies if you have nothing hidden in your car.

If they see a group of hunters in a car they can search their car. I've had it happen to me. They were out checking to see if all of our guns were all unloaded and cased. They will confiscate any gun that isn't stored properly. If they didn't do this it would be much harder to stop violaters and more idiots would shoot from their cars or the road. By the way, if you get caught shooting from your car, you lose the car and the guns. Hunters all know this because the penalty is so stiff. Anyhow, wherever hunters go, the DNR also can go.
There's nothing like falling asleep in your treestand, especially on a cold December morning, and being woken up as the warm sun begins to shine on your face. Is there anything finer?

Can I get an "Amen!"? :angry:

Seriously though, my kids think meat comes from Publix... :):angry:

To address an earlier post:

I can only speak for Florida, but the concept that LEOs need permission to search a vehicle is kind of misleading. The real answer is, with the exception of vehicle inventories prior to impound, they need either permission or probable cause. A residence is about the same. In this day and age, probable cause is pretty easy to come by. To enter upon a piece of property, all they need is a complaint, or to be involved in an active investigation. That's the angle Fish & Wildlife uses to walk around private hunt clubs without the blessings of the members.

trailgators is right !!! dnr is not a police officer but they have all the rights of police officers. and more they can also search your car and do not need a dog to hit on anything and yes all hunters know they can take your vehicle and all of your equiptment. for that reason that is why hunters WHO ARE SMART keep up on the laws and regulations so we always know what we can and cant do for example.. when i go hunting i have to make sure not a single shell i bring with or even have in my car has lead shot in it or ill get a HUGE FINE and my gun cannot be within arms reach of me when in my car it also has to be seperated from the ammunation and the gun must be in a gun case.

I used work with the Coast Guard and we had CO'S(conservation officer what we call the fish and game warden) come on board so we could transport them around so they could search boats for what people were catching. Well they could search the whole boat looking for illegally caught fish, checking for licences, making sure that they are using legal gear. They would tell us of the places that people tried to hide stuff.

What i meant by ripping apart is they can completely empty the back of your truck or trailer if they even think that you have illegal game meat

for a game check it would take too much time and resources to get warrants for all the game checks plus only the innocent would give permission

trailgators is right !!! dnr is not a police officer but they have all the rights of police officers. and more they can also search your car and do not need a dog to hit on anything and yes all hunters know they can take your vehicle and all of your equiptment. for that reason that is why hunters WHO ARE SMART keep up on the laws and regulations so we always know what we can and cant do for example.. when i go hunting i have to make sure not a single shell i bring with or even have in my car has lead shot in it or ill get a HUGE FINE and my gun cannot be within arms reach of me when in my car it also has to be seperated from the ammunation and the gun must be in a gun case.

WOW that's really strict wholly cow!!!!! :)

in B.C they just have to be unloaded we can have them up front on our lap if we want to. But when we are with in the city limits or the lawful hunting limits they are locked

:angry::angry:

Truth Hurts

:blink::P:P:P:P:lol::):D:D:D:D:D:cry::cry:

Edited by TheBeast420

What do you think you've been doing with each of your postings in this thread? All you've done is attack what people think or what they have written. The only thing I can use to figure out who you are is by reading your words, and your words contain a lot of negativity and anger. If this isn't who you are, then why do you write these things? I'm not attacking you, but I am trying to help you. There's a saying that goes: "You can attract more flies with honey than you can with vinegar". Try to find those things in life that make you happy and you'll be suprised how quickly your outlook on life will change. God Bless You.

Vartan84, I figure an easy solution would be to buy a gun and take it Geocaching. That way if the situation occurred again you could pretend you were hunting and, if perhaps an errant round found its way in your direction, as an earlier poster suggested, why, you could respond with an errant round of your own :).

If anyone asked why you were hunting you could proclaim that you were Geocaching and the gun was just for protection.

See that way you got all the angles covered. :angry:

Edited by tttedzeins

Vartan84, I figure an easy solution would be to buy a gun and take it Geocaching. That way if the situation occurred again you could pretend you were hunting and, if perhaps an errant round found its way in your direction, as an earlier poster suggested, why, you could respond with an errant round of your own :).

If anyone asked why you were hunting you could proclaim that you were Geocaching and the gun was just for protection.

See that way you got all the angles covered. :angry:

A geocaching friend told me that she wanted to expand her hunting experience to find something that she could actually eat, so I took her deer hunting. I set her up in a tree stand and walked over a hill so that there would be a ridge between us. Sure enough in just an hour or so I heard her shoot. Cool! She gets a deer on her first hunt, what luck! In a bit I hear her shoot again, and now I am concerned that she's only wounded a deer, so I go back to help her. As I cross the ridge I hear her shoot yet again but now I hear her yell "That's MY deer, get away from it!" Afraid that some other hunter is trying to steal her deer I hear her fire again and a man hollers from down the valley "Okay, lady, you can have it! Just let me get my saddle off of it!"

man that just made my morning lol .. and i appologize if it seems like i have an attitude in this forum. but i do get really pissed off when people give false information on a subject that you can tell they know nothing about. such as the person who says dnr cant go on your property!

Edited by blobingob

The hunting group is a lot larger than the geocaching group. If geocaching starts to be a problem in an area, then at least a couple of things can happen.

One: A hunter can simply watch to see what's going on or otherwise figure it out. In the overall scheme of things $30 would be a trivial amount to pay for the ability to download all of the caches in the area to clean them out. The actions of a few just created a maggot.

Two: Hunters could start complaining to the authorities about cachers. That gets filtered up the chain and then next thing you know geocaching is banned in certain areas. Hunters bring in a lot more revenue than geocachers. Who do you think the stewards are going to be listening to?

My advise is respect any legal activity lest they don't respect ours. So you ruined an evening's hunt for one guy. He could turn around and ruin a lot more for us. How would you have felt if he had sat there quite, watched what you did, and then simply walked out with the cache later? You "took" his deer, he took your cache.

Three pages and growing but all that needs to be said is right here....

Lesson from the above post's quote seems to be the Golden Rule. If you don't want someone to be a jerk to you, try not to be a jerk to them (even unintentionally).

Even in my few caches this has happened to me. We parked in front of a public lot that is let out for people to keep horses. We happened to trap a lady in a truck in the lot while we were searching and she was pissed by the time we got back. Even though she was being a bit rude (wouldn't you be?) we apologized, explained to her that we were looking for something, and told her that we wouldn't do it again. Though still annoyed, she at least left off screaming at us.

Even when someone else is not acting super-nice, it doesn't cost you anything but a tiny slice of your pride to act polite back.

You'd be surprised how easily just hearing someone out and apologizing works. Then even if they're still pissed they know that you understand why they're upset and later when they're more reasonable they may reflect that you weren't doing it on purpose.

What do you think you've been doing with each of your postings in this thread? All you've done is attack what people think or what they have written. The only thing I can use to figure out who you are is by reading your words, and your words contain a lot of negativity and anger. If this isn't who you are, then why do you write these things? I'm not attacking you, but I am trying to help you. There's a saying that goes: "You can attract more flies with honey than you can with vinegar". Try to find those things in life that make you happy and you'll be suprised how quickly your outlook on life will change. God Bless You.

From my perspective, the majority of his posts are "character revealing." I doubt he is a believer based on his Previous post Rather than debating him, the best remedy is to ignore him.

Just because someone has a weapon doesn't mean they are dangerous. This is a perception many people have. Most anything can be a deadly weapon so why aren't you [anyone] afraid of everyone?

When strangers holding weapons curse at people that aren't holding weapons they tend to come across as a threat.

Many things can be used as a weapon. Few things are as effective, from a distance, as a loaded rifle or bow.

I'm a hunter in Maryland. By a look at your profile, it appears that you are caching in Pennsylvania. I've never hunted in PA, but I'll do my best to give good advice. Be advised that I'm not a lawyer, and this is just my opinion, not definite legal advice. To be sure, ask a lawyer or game warden.

Most states have a law that prevents interference in hunting activities. In PA, the applicable statute is found here: http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.as...p;q=151077#2302

Briefly, it appears that you are entitled to cache just as much as a hunter is allowed to hunt. The law is intended to prevent people from intentionally interfering with legal hunting. If you're doing your thing without intending to disrupt his hunt, he has to allow you to do it.

The guy in the tree should have held his tongue and waited for you to leave. He was just being an inconsiderate jerk. I can understand that he paid for a license and has limited time to hunt. Even so, hunting should teach patience, which this guy clearly lacked.

Next time, tell him that you have as much right to do what you are doing as he has to do what he's doing, and that you'll be gone in a few minutes. That should work. Remind him that you're not trying to interfere with his hunt, what you are doing is legal, and sometimes we have to share public resources.

BTW: Hunting is (mostly) prohibited on Sundays in PA. You might have less trouble then. I also recommend checking the schedule: http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.as...60&q=161003 and avoiding caching on the first day of any given deer season. Things can be a little crazy at those times. The worst hunters come out of the woodwork. They're often stupid, ignorant, intoxicated, and will shoot at anything that moves. Maryland actually prohibits any hunting but deer hunting on the first day of deer season, because of the problems it creates.

Didn't read through every page, because Oaken hit it on the head. I'm from South central PA. I'm both a hunter and a cacher. The guy sounds like some typical hunters that I know and I understand why he would be upset, but obviously he handled the situation poorly.

Yes, you have every right to be there too, but honestly, knowing what I do, I'd never go onto any land that permits hunting in PA unless it was Sunday. Sure, I have a right to be there, but I don't even want to take chances with guys with loaded weapons.

I'd say just chalk this one up as an experience and try to do any caching on hunting lands on Sunday or just expect similar treatment from hunters in the future. It does stink when the last portion of your hunting day is ruined. Right before the sun goes down or as it's going down is often prime time to see deer if you haven't seen anything all day. Again, not defending the guy, I'm just trying to offer perspective.

There is a marked difference between attacking someone's ideas and attacking them.

The moderators have pointed out many times what the difference is. They have made it clear that attacks on ideas are OK but attacks on a person are not. You attacked me, personally and, for the life of me, I can't see why the mods are now allowing personal attacks.

But, it's OK. I have a thick skin.

Edited by bittsen

Actually, I read that as nothing more than personal observations. I don't read any attack motive into it in the least.

Actually, I read that as nothing more than personal observations. I don't read any attack motive into it in the least.

You have whined to the mods for less.

I don't get it either. I thought it was good friendly advice. People that don't care about others don't offer that kind of good advice.

I take it then by your standards your last post was a personal attack.

There is a marked difference between attacking someone's ideas and attacking them.

The moderators have pointed out many times what the difference is. They have made it clear that attacks on ideas are OK but attacks on a person are not. You attacked me, personally and, for the life of me, I can't see why the mods are now allowing personal attacks.

But, it's OK. I have a thick skin.

It seems as though you plan on continuing to play the role of a victim, and because of that, I’ve decided that my time will be better spent with those who wish to have honest and thoughtful conversations. I will continue to pray for you, that you may have a change of heart, but I will no longer respond to any of your postings. May God bless you and watch over you.

I consider this a personal attack. :D

Anything that I have "whine to the mods for" was much more than that. But this is the end of this discussion.

Edited by knowschad

well if WE ALL ARE GOING TO GO OFF SUBJECT!

WHY IS FRIED RICE SO GOOD?

WAIT!!!!

before you respond that im an idiot or something.... think about it :)

The simple answer??

Cuz it's FRIED!

OK, honestly, the recipe I have calls for bacon grease. I'm sure it's the bacon grease!

Hmm I think hunting near a cemetery is kinda spooky. My most worry would be mistaken for a deer. I went looking for a cache wearing (mistakenly) camo in a logging area. Though the hunter shouldn't have been out there because it is private land, he was a poacher who was making a god awful imitation of a bull elk call. I guess he realized I was out there and took off.

The cache owner should put warnings during hunting season. I have to in some of my caches.

And I think the hunters if they are making a stand should have had signal tape on some of the trees in the area to let others know they were there.

Hmm I think hunting near a cemetery is kinda spooky. My most worry would be mistaken for a deer. I went looking for a cache wearing (mistakenly) camo in a logging area. Though the hunter shouldn't have been out there because it is private land, he was a poacher who was making a god awful imitation of a bull elk call. I guess he realized I was out there and took off.

The cache owner should put warnings during hunting season. I have to in some of my caches.

And I think the hunters if they are making a stand should have had signal tape on some of the trees in the area to let others know they were there.

Actually, a lot of timber companies lease sections of their land out to private hunting clubs. The hunters pay dues yearly for the right to hunt the land (in Mississippi, I have seen dues ranging from $400/person to $2500/person). On the higher end of the spectrum, a club with 40 members can bring the timber company $60,000 to $100,000 in extra income -- income that really has no cost associated with it, so it is pure revenue (I'm hesitant to refer to it as profit right now).

Also, perhaps the hunter took off because they realized you were in the area and decided to hunt elsewhere so as not to put you in danger or because they thought you might have spooked game in the area.

I was thinking about this thread last night as I was trying to go to sleep. It occurred to me that one of the single greatest fears a hunter might have is accidentally shooting another human being. I mean in the long menu of nightmares I can imagine that one comes up a few times.

It might be that you scared the hunter. Sometimes our reaction to fear is misdirected anger. He might have been more mad at you for popping up out of nowhere while he was trying to safely hunt because he thought, if only for a second, "what if I hadn't seen them and shot them?"

Maybe I'm reading too much into this.

How do you know the land was private? Do you know who owns it? Did you get permission to trespass to hunt a geocache?

There is a lot of state and federal land here. Major timber companies also own much of the land in the forested areas. They have given permission to recreate on their land Which includes hunting and geocaching.

Also why do you assume he was a poacher???? If he had a legal license and was hunting during a legal season in an area that was open he wouldn't be a poacher.

Webster definition of poacher:

1 : one that trespasses or steals

2 : one who kills or takes wild animals (as game or fish) illegally

Kinda looks like if you didn't get permission to be on the land you fit the description.

I will tell you a true storey.

My bro. and I were young kids (17 and 15). We had driven the 3 hours out to our hunting area 2 weeks before to scout and set up our tree stands for bow hunting. After spending hours setting up the home made ladder, pacing out ranges, installing the stands, analyzing the wind etc. we were sure we would have success once the season started. First week of bow season, we again drove out the the area, spend a day setting up camp a couple of miles away. First day we hike in to the tree stands before dawn and get ready. Then just as the sun comes up, a huge crew of power company workers arrive, and start installing a new power line about 75 yards from our trees. And that about did it for our tree stands for the week.

In MN, permanent tree stands are forbidden on public property. Anything you don't carry in the morning of your hunt is considered permanent.

7. Finally consider that some people are just as passionate about hunting, just as we are as cachers. They may have done a lot of work to prepare for this hunting trip and are just frustrated when a scenario like the one you explain occurs. IF they engage you in conversation be apologetic explain that you are geocaching and had no intention of interrupting their trip. At this point if you two can engage in a more civilized discussion try to work things out. IF conversation continues to heat up apologize again and leave immediately (come back when hunting season is not in aka Sunday).

Just a note, only 11 eastern states have laws prohibiting Sunday hunting. And those laws vary, some are completely no hunting, others no hunting of certain animals or in certain areas.

http://www.nraila.org/images/sundayhunting.jpg

sundayhunting.jpg

Bow hunting is now permitted on Sundays in New Jersey. There are those of us who think: "You've got six days. Please leave us our one day."

I've met many hunters whilst hiking. Most are extremely courteous. As with any group of peope: some are not.

I waved at the guy in the tree stand. He waved back. He probably wasn't happy to see me there. Perhaps he should have put his tree stand further away from the trail? Oh, well. He had his hunting permit. I had my hiking permit.

Five miles in on the AT, I hit my turn around point. Hunter: You're going back up that mountain? You're crazy!

Of the hundreds of hunters I've met, I was only worried twice. One was the guy with the crossbow standing under the "No Hunting" sign. Dude! You're on the wrong side of the highway.

The second was in upstate New York, on land owned by my parents. It's a summer house, so we were seldom there duing hunting season. A pipeline runs across the property. It was well posted with No Hunting signs. A pipeline is not a public right-of-way. We came across a Pinto station wagon with a deer tied to the roof (yes this was a long time ago.) About a 25º slope. He was stuck, and had called two friends with trucks to pull him out. We pointed out that this was private property, and hunting was not permitted. The next morning, we discovered that our mailbox had been run over. No way to prove who had done it, but it was a strange coincidence. The mailbox had been there fifty years. Oh, well.

I do wonder about the hunters at Lehigh Gap, Pa. Six hunters carrying a deer. (I'm sure they knew a better way to get back to their cars than I did to mine. I was parked at the bottom of the gap.) The view is spectacular here, becuse there are no trees. The trees were killed a long time ago by the zinc smelters at Palmerton. Very bad zinc pollution. Warnings post not to drink the water, or bring small children here more than once a year. Nope. I wouldn't eat that deer. But that's just me. But it was state hunting land. So go for it.

BTW, I like the fact that Pa tells it like it is: State Hunting Land. New Jersey wimps out with the euphemism: Wildlife Management Area.

Hunters are like any other group of people. Most are very nice people. A very few are not.

If the hunters have the right to be hunting where they are, then you must respect them, as they should respect you. And, remember to wear your blaze orange, as required by law in many places.

I didn't realize it was hunting season already, until I was passed on the trail by a hunter with a rifle, the other day. Time for Sunday-only geocaching in those areas. Oh, well.

No, I am not a hunter. I think it's the silliest sport ever! But hunters have the right to hunt, and you have to respect that.