Caching alone

Azaray

It seems that I am the only one in my family that enjoys Geocaching. My husband will do a couple with me every now and then and I drag the kids along when I can but for the most part it seems that I cache alone. I enjoy it more with my family but not when it feels like I am forcing them to come along. Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone in central WI looking for a Geocache buddy?

Edited by marie252zz

It seems that I am the only one in my family that enjoys Geocaching. My husband will do a couple with me every now and then and I drag the kids along when I can but for the most part iy seems that I cache alone. I enjoy it more with my family but not when it feels like I am forcing them to come along. Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone in central WI looking for a Geocache buddy?

That's said. Half of our twelve family members love to cache. Answer get a larger family LOL :huh:

while i sometimes cache with others, i will usually prefer to go alone.

even with crashco (whom i love as much as i love anybody) i don't always feel free to go on my own schedule and wander as erratically as i do when i'm alone.

additionally, going alone gives me more opportunities to stop for prayer, so i appreciate the solitude.

on my own, i feel free to stay out for a couple of hours or until next tuesday or maybe even for a week or two at my whim.

of course, if you have family expecting you at home, that's not practical.

I feel the same way. My bf doesn't want me to go out alone, but gets impatient when we're out there! So I've gone out before, during and after work and on my days off while he's at work. Still, it would be nice to have another pair of eyes to help me look for some of these tricky caches!

I cache alone, yeah

With nobody else

I cache alone, yeah

With nobody else

You know when I cache alone

I prefer to be by myself

Every morning just before breakfast

I don't want you with me

Just me and good buddy GPSr

That's all I ever need

'Cause I cache alone, yeah

With nobody else

Yeah, you know when I cache alone

I prefer to be by myself

The other night I laid sleeping

And I woke from dream that was a drag

So I caught up my pal GPSr

And his partner Cache bag

And we cache alone, yeah

With nobody else

I prefer to be by myself

The other night I got invited to a party

But I hit the woods instead

Just me and my pal GPSr

And his brother LED light stuck to my head

And we cached alone, yeah

With nobody else

I prefer to be by myself

My whole family done give up on me

And it makes me feel I'm liked by no one

But I force someone to hang out with me

It is my six old son

And we cache alone, yeah

With nobody else

I prefer to be by myself

Edited by Vater_Araignee

My gf has no interest. My friends nieher. The only one who shows any interest what so ever is my dog and that's only because she just loves to go places. So basically, I'm on my own. Also I imagine it's different with a woman.

I'd suggest carrying a big knife on your hip and pepper spray in easy access. Just the sight of a knife should make a potential attacker move on to the next target(Sounds harsh, but I'm a realist).

My gf has no interest. My friends nieher. The only one who shows any interest what so ever is my dog and that's only because she just loves to go places. So basically, I'm on my own. Also I imagine it's different with a woman.

I'd suggest carrying a big knife on your hip and pepper spray in easy access. Just the sight of a knife should make a potential attacker move on to the next target(Sounds harsh, but I'm a realist).

Realist in CA.

when I was in CA last I carried a stun-gun.

Depends on where you live.

thank God I don't live in CA.

WA is much safer than CA, although if I were in NY I'd be watch out!!

I'd say that 90% of the caches I've done I've done alone.

Probably likewise with me, although my family tends to go along on such outings, it usually because of my odd work schedule and my son's relentless after school activity schedule. I tend to go out on longer hikes by myself, and just to bring a little comfort level for my family, I purchased a SPOT last year.

Otherwise, when caching with my family, I tend to let them set the pace. Long drives, we tend to hunt for the parking lot type caches when we stop for food and potty breaks, but we tend to skip many caches. On long hikes, we tend to bag a few more :huh:

I started out geocaching with family until they ended up moving out of state. For years I had to geocache alone. Then I just happened to meet a new friend and through the course of our conversation she learned about geocaching and wanted to try it out. She has been hooked ever since! Now we try to go geocaching at least once a week together.

Even more bizarre, I was sitting at work entering coordinates for geocaches into my older GPS unit. One of my newer coworkers glanced over and asked if I was a geocacher. I was stunned! "How do you know about geocaching?" I asked. He said he was a geocacher too! I had been working with a fellow geocacher and never knew it.

It's a very small world so don't give up hope. I would strongly encourage you to attend some of the local geocaching get-togethers to broaden your network of geocaching friends. :huh:

The pepper spray and taking the dog are good ideas. I am more worried about wild animals then trouble from other people.

I started out geocaching with family until they ended up moving out of state. For years I had to geocache alone. Then I just happened to meet a new friend and through the course of our conversation she learned about geocaching and wanted to try it out. She has been hooked ever since! Now we try to go geocaching at least once a week together.

Even more bizarre, I was sitting at work entering coordinates for geocaches into my older GPS unit. One of my newer coworkers glanced over and asked if I was a geocacher. I was stunned! "How do you know about geocaching?" I asked. He said he was a geocacher too! I had been working with a fellow geocacher and never knew it.

It's a very small world so don't give up hope. I would strongly encourage you to attend some of the local geocaching get-togethers to broaden your network of geocaching friends. :laughing:

I will do that. I am still relatively new to this hobby but do enjoy it more with family/friends. I did manage to talk my family into going today. One cache at a time I guess. Here's to hope.

The pepper spray and taking the dog are good ideas. I am more worried about wild animals then trouble from other people.

Animal generally shy away from people, so just make noise, sing a song or something so they hear you coming

I usually go caching alone, even though I really like caching with other folks. But I have a weird schedule that doesn't fit with most folks in my area. I work all weekend and have only mornings and early afternoons during the week to go caching. So, I mostly cache alone. It definitely isn't as much fun as caching with a buddy, plus it limits the caches I can get because I won't do any difficult hikes alone, nor drive in any questionable neighborhoods.

But it sure gives me the opportunity to practice my ninja skills! :laughing:

It seems that I am the only one in my family that enjoys Geocaching. My husband will do a couple with me every now and then and I drag the kids along when I can but for the most part iy seems that I cache alone. I enjoy it more with my family but not when it feels like I am forcing them to come along. Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone in central WI looking for a Geocache buddy?

That's said. Half of our twelve family members love to cache. Answer get a larger family LOL :laughing:

Wow 12 theres only 6 of us and i think thats hard 2 adults 4 kids all under age 5

Animal generally shy away from people, so just make noise, sing a song or something so they hear you coming

i generally shy away from people, too.

if you make noise on the trail, it gives me time to dodge out of sight.

Realist in CA.

when I was in CA last I carried a stun-gun.

Depends on where you live.

thank God I don't live in CA.

I carry a 9mm sometimes. even when I am not alone

WA is much safer than CA, although if I were in NY I'd be watch out!!

There's another plus! :lol:

i generally shy away from people, too.

if you make noise on the trail, it gives me time to dodge out of sight.

That's said. Half of our twelve family members love to cache. Answer get a larger family LOL :lol:

for some reason my preteen kids don't like it ether. My dog will go of course and my 5 year old will go but he is hard to keep an eye on my wife likes it but she is too busy some times so I go alone too. I don't like to go alone because I feel if I get caught by a muggles I won't look as crazy if there is another crazy person with me and we have to explain our self’s. I would be open to another cache buddy in Or better be male so I don’t have to explain to my wife

Is this knife BIG enough?

images7.jpg

marie252zz raises an important safety concern that everyone thinks about, but women cachers need to REALLY plan for. If we geogals go alone, we need to be prepared to defend against insects, poisen ivy, animals and evil people. This means we should carry defensive items (pepper spray), cell phone set on 911, and make sure others know where we are so that they can check if we don't show up as expected. Just a few (not complete) thoughts about safety.

I hope that marie252zz finds geogalpals like I have. I started in Jan 09 and when I attended my first geocaching event, I was amazed to meet so many women who loved go geocache. We were instant friends and now are "geogalpals." I am fortunate to have a better-half who loves geocaching, but when he is busy, I have my my girls programmed in my iPhone to see if they want to go caching.

I have been in several dicey situations while caching that would have been terrifying if I had been alone. I don't like going alone (unless its an urban cache that I can grab from my geoPrius!). :)

I also do most of my caching alone.My wife does a few with me once in awhile,but I like the long hikes and out of the way caches that my wife and son don't like to do very often.I actually enjoy going by myself on the ones that have longer hikes...peace and quiet in very scenic locations.I like the solotude.

It seems that I am the only one in my family that enjoys Geocaching. My husband will do a couple with me every now and then and I drag the kids along when I can but for the most part it seems that I cache alone. I enjoy it more with my family but not when it feels like I am forcing them to come along. Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone in central WI looking for a Geocache buddy?

I can't imagine geocaching alone and enjoying it. Once when Mrs. Team Cotati was out of town on business, I tried it. Once I got to the parking spot, I didn't even bother getting out of the cachemobile, I knew that it would not be enjoyable.

One the other hand one of my geocaching friends caches almost esclusively by him self and seems to really enjoy it. He does take his dog along so I suppose that that does provide some company.

I suppose that it comes down to having someone to share the experience and scenery and weather with. It doesn't have to be Mrs. Team Cotati, just a friendly cacher...like my bud there, we have great fun and adventures. For me it just wouldn't work in a solitary mode.

And as for Mrs. Team Cotati, she feels the very same way though for her, some settings would also contain a component of safety which would not be of concern for me. Well to be honest, I have been caching in a few places that I'd rather not be, especially at night with two armed guards even!! Yikes. ;-)

Edited by Team Cotati

Check in the regional forums. Better yet you might look at some nearby caches and their loggers and owners....drop 'em an email.

Edited by Team Cotati