GPS Accuracy sucks

jlindley3

Hello and welcome to the obsession.

You might want to check to see if your GPS has the WAAS enabled. That will give you a better reading if it is. Look in your owners manuel to see how to do this.

Another bit of advice, if you are new start off looking for regular sized or larger caches. They are usually easier to find. Leave the film containers until you get used to your GPS and get a better feel for geocaching in general. I know from my own experiences that looking for a cache and not finding it can take a lot of the fun out of this game.

Good luck,

Chris-Team Shydog

Actually, +/- 20 ft is about the norm. Occasionally, it will show you something tighter than that, but you shouldn't (we don't) trust that figure.

If you want something pin-point, say one meter or less, pull out your credit card and prepare to dump somewhere around $5,000 - $8,000 (some say more) for a military grade GPSr.

You could also opt for a commercial surveyor's GPSr.

Now that you know you have a 20 ft leeway of accuracy. Perhaps you will work at developing your "geosense" as to just where to look when you are in that (good) 20 ft circle. :huh:

Another point, remember to "double" circle for the "footage" for the accuracy.

If the hider was at one end of the 20 foot circle and you are at the other end of the circle, that means you need to be looking at a 80 foot circle.

As you get more experience you will find it becomes easier, look for places where you would "hide" a cache.

Also stay away from micros at first or at least not so many.

Good Luck and remember to keep it fun to do.

:)

Actually, +/- 20 ft is about the norm. Occasionally, it will show you something tighter than that, but you shouldn't (we don't) trust that figure.

If you want something pin-point, say one meter or less, pull out your credit card and prepare to dump somewhere around $5,000 - $8,000 (some say more) for a military grade GPSr.

You could also opt for a commercial surveyor's GPSr.

Now that you know you have a 20 ft leeway of accuracy. Perhaps you will work at developing your "geosense" as to just where to look when you are in that (good) 20 ft circle. :D

:laughing: Could not have put it better myself.

It will take "time" to develop your "geosense", the more you geocache the better your skill level will be. Me I now prefer geocaching in the Mountains (think looking of a film-canister is difficult at home, yee ain't seen nothing yet!)