No one is posting there DNFs

Andronicus

I don't see a need to post 2 DNF's and then a Found Log if you find the cache on the 3rd trip of the same day. Do the specific circumstances really matter?
So what if the same situation happened except you left to eat dinner and came back the next morning to continue looking?

Is there a time limit between breaks that mandates that you log a DNF? If so, what is it?

For me its different day, different log..

If I DNF twice in the same day it will be combined into a single log. While I think logging DNFs is important, logging multiple DNFs on the same day is silly.

It once took me 3 days to complete an awesome multi. I didn't log any DNFs. I logged one long appreciative find log on the 3rd day. My point is that my attempt spanned more than a day. I view a DNF as the end of an attempt. However, if I couldn't finish my attempt in a week or so, I would log a note letting people know that I'm working on it. B)

If I made an attempt to find the cache -- but didn't find it -- I post a DNF. In that DNF I do my best to explain <i>why</i> I couldn't find it. Looking over my most recent DNF's, I had too many muggles as a reason for one, Too much snow at GZ for another, and so forth. I think that this helps not only the Owner, but other people who might search for that cache later. For example, if I looked at a cache that had a DNF because of too many muggles, I would know to go after that cache on , say, a rainy day so that there would be less muggles around.

It's not about the fact that it is a DNF, but what description we assign to it.

We're only 17 days into this (and I'm not sure f I am overthinking or underthinking) but I had a few DNFs and I didn't log them. I thought it was to alert someone to a problem. And I get distracted - so once I get back to the office or home, my focus is on something. I suppose I could go back and recreate the DNFs. One of them is funny enough to warrant a story.

We're only 17 days into this (and I'm not sure f I am overthinking or underthinking) but I had a few DNFs and I didn't log them. I thought it was to alert someone to a problem. And I get distracted - so once I get back to the office or home, my focus is on something. I suppose I could go back and recreate the DNFs. One of them is funny enough to warrant a story.
If you think the cache might be missing then you should definitely log it ASAP to alert the owner. If I get 2 DNFs in a row I will check on the cache. Only one DNF might mean that cacher didn't eat their Wheaties that day.

If you think the cache might be missing then you should definitely log it ASAP to alert the owner. If I get 2 DNFs in a row I will check on the cache. Only one DNF might mean that cacher didn't eat their Wheaties that day.

So if I eat Wheaties I find more caches? Let me at em!

I treat DNFs as part of my experience caching and to let others know if there may be a problem. Not logging to me does not let the CO know I was interesting in finding, does not let them know if maybe there is a problem, does not let others know if there is an issue or why I gave up the hunt.

The other day I was at a cache which was in a pine tree with extremely sharp prickly spines. It was not so much that I could'nt find it but if I wanted to look. Those looking after me would at least know what to expect before driving a distance and see that protective clothing would make for a more enjoyable experience.

So if I eat Wheaties I find more caches? Let me at em!

It works and someday a geocacher will make he cover of a Wheaties box! :)

I have a fairly new cache with about 10 finds. Most Several of the finders, in their find log, report that "I don't know why I didn't find the the first time I was here..." But I have no DNFs, What is up with that? Are people just not wanting to be the first DNF?

Kind of messes up the states, and makes a false sence of easyness. I thought it was easy anyway, maybe I need to re-think the dificulty.

Edited: to correct magnitude of issue, and add in link to cache.

I don't have too many DNFs, but the caches that have gotten me are posted. I don't see any shame in being stumped by a very crafty geocacher. There's always another day to give it a whirl. :)

Sorry I was kind of vague there. I pretty much thought the ONLY reason to do it was if you actually looked hard for it and didn't find it. Not like...I tried to go at lunch while wearing a skirt and stockings and fell over a tree about 600 feet from the cache. I figured, why post THAT if owners just need to know if it is maybe gone.

But I'm getting the nuance now. So I went back and added the story :)

The good news is that if I log them all, I can really provide some top notch entertainment for everyone. When I fail, I epic fail.

:)

Sorry I was kind of vague there. I pretty much thought the ONLY reason to do it was if you actually looked hard for it and didn't find it. Not like...I tried to go at lunch while wearing a skirt and stockings and fell over a tree about 600 feet from the cache. I figured, why post THAT if owners just need to know if it is maybe gone.

But I'm getting the nuance now. So I went back and added the story :)

The good news is that if I log them all, I can really provide some top notch entertainment for everyone. When I fail, I epic fail.

:D

Some of my best caching stories are DNFs. B)