No one is posting there DNFs

Andronicus

I have a fairly new cache with about 10 finds. Most Several of the finders, in their find log, report that "I don't know why I didn't find the the first time I was here..." But I have no DNFs, What is up with that? Are people just not wanting to be the first DNF?

Kind of messes up the states, and makes a false sence of easyness. I thought it was easy anyway, maybe I need to re-think the dificulty.

Edited: to correct magnitude of issue, and add in link to cache.

Edited by Andronicus

Very typical. I post all my DNFs ( about 1 for every 6 finds) but many don't.

If you poke around, you will see several discussions about when to post a DNF - some will only do it if certain criteria are met (time at cache site, some measure of effort, whenther or not they experienced problems, the number of muggles nearby etc). I take the issue literally - if I started the search and it ended in me not finding the cache - I log a DNF.

Some people will go on a scouting mission first, just checking out the area and getting an idea of what might be involved in making the find.

Others don't want it known that they couldn't make the find. Guess they think it will make them look unintelligent or something.

As for me..... yes I'll scout if it's a local area but if I start a hunt I'll log a DNF, especially if the cache is out of town.

Many think that a DNF somehow scores "against" them. As if scoring matters :) !

Somehow, it needs to be reiterated that a DNF is necessary (to some degree) for cache maintenance issues.

I believe many 'cachers do not think about that.

EDIT: As noted in many threads, there seems to be quite a few logging "finds" w/o actually finding a cache because they "found where the cache should be"!!! GMAB

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

i feel that if you punch the numbers into your GPS that is the start of the search........ if you get there and there is a little old lady wobbling about at GZ, then you have a DNF, but in the log you just put unable to surch due to old deer at GZ, it dosnt mean your not very good at lookign or cant read a GPS, but there was an issue so you couldnt find it.

on the other hand if you search for half hour cant find it after looking under every rock then log the DNF, it may have been muggled or the hide is just so good you didnt find it.

the cache can be muggled any time, anywhere....... one cache i set was placed at 8pm revieved and listed at 8:45pm and the first cacher arrived on the scene at 9:00pm as it was 5 minuets from his house, he searched and searched and could not find it, after a visit at 9:45pm it confirmed it had been muggled - so within 60 minuets, that cache was reset and re muggled twice, now it is disabled awaiting a new location!!

A 'soft DNF' is a neat idea. :D

I Log ALL of my visits no matter what. As a new Cache Owner I hope that everyone who looks for it will do the same. (log ALL visits) I restored my cache from one that got to be archived. It was archived basically because someone posted a 'Should Be Archived' log cause they couldn't find it. (Well, that and the fact that the original owner could not be found anywhere....)

Anyhow, I took it upon myself to confirm the cache was indeed where it belonged. After Archival, I took ownership of it. If folks post a DNF log for my cache, I will go to make sure that all is OK with it. :)

A 'soft DNF' is a neat idea. :mad:

If folks post a DNF log for my cache, I will go to make sure that all is OK with it. :huh:

Really after just one DNF? :blink:

I use the "3 Strikes your out" method I will typically not go out and check on it till I get 3 consecutive DNFs on it. When I was new to caching I would go out everytime someone posted a DNF only to find the cache was right where it was suppose to be. So know it's 3 strikes and I'm OUT (Out there checking on it).

ScubaSonic

DNF is "did not find" what other criteria can there be. The name says it all - extenuating circumstances or not! You go and look, even for a minute, and are unsuccessful then you DNF. It makes it even better when you go back and say you did find it, in my opinion. We most appreciate that which was most difficult to acquire (profound thought for the day :huh: ). Although I must admit getting the kids to accept that logic is proving kinda hard. To them a DNF is almost the end of the world, but we're working on that. :blink:

While I don't like not finding a cache ... I actually enjoy doing a DNF log. For one reason, it is sometimes easier to write a "decent" log for one I didn't find.

I think the main reason though, is that I can put myself in the place of the owner and I know that I appreciate being told that someone didn't find one of my caches, for possible aintenence reasons on an easy cache, and for a feeling of accomplishment on the caches that I wanted to be just a bit harder!

If I like to have DNF loge for those that didn't get found, then I feel I owe the owner the same respect.

While I don't like not finding a cache ... I actually enjoy doing a DNF log. For one reason, it is sometimes easier to write a "decent" log for one I didn't find.

I think the main reason though, is that I can put myself in the place of the owner and I know that I appreciate being told that someone didn't find one of my caches, for possible aintenence reasons on an easy cache, and for a feeling of accomplishment on the caches that I wanted to be just a bit harder!

If I like to have DNF loge for those that didn't get found, then I feel I owe the owner the same respect.

I often find that a found log is difficult to write anything significant about without being a spoiler. But if you DNF something, you can't spoil it, so you can write a tell all.

A wile back, our local forum was copairing everyones DNF ratio. At that time I went back and looked at all my DNFs. For caches that turned out to have been muggled or not yet placed, I changed my DNFs to Notes. Not sure if that is 'good' or not, but I thought it was fair for compairing ratios with people.

We have a person in our area that logs a note on the cache and writes in the post that he is claiming a "Soft DNF" his definition is that a Soft DNF means that he looked for the cache but didn't find it, but has every intention of coming back very soon to make the find.

Scubasonic

Maybe it is time to place a V**gra cache in his honor. :huh:

A wile back, our local forum was copairing everyones DNF ratio. At that time I went back and looked at all my DNFs. For caches that turned out to have been muggled or not yet placed, I changed my DNFs to Notes. Not sure if that is 'good' or not, but I thought it was fair for compairing ratios with people.

Seems kinda like rewriting history to me. Besides, whats the point of comparing these things?

How did you know that they were muggled at the time you DNF'd them?

I don't think it was a "good" thing to do.... In fact... I think it is kinda dishonest...

A wile back, our local forum was comparing everyone's DNF ratio. At that time I went back and looked at all my DNFs. For caches that turned out to have been muggled or not yet placed, I changed my DNFs to Notes. Not sure if that is 'good' or not, but I thought it was fair for comparing ratios with people.

Seems kinda like rewriting history to me. Besides, whats the point of comparing these things?

How did you know that they were muggled at the time you DNF'd them?

I don't think it was a "good" thing to do.... In fact... I think it is kinda dishonest...

Way to throw around the insults without knowing the facts. During the comparing with other, we all discussed how our DNF numbers were generated. There was no dishonesty involved. But thanks for your vote of ... whatever it was.

Anyway, back on topic. I just got a PM from a guy telling me about a good example of why it is important to post DNFs. As it was a PM, I wont go into all the details, but basically, there were only 3 DNFs after a couple of months for an urban cache (and no found logs) which was interpreted as many cachers not posting DNFs. The story teller sais, after a couple of hours of 4 cachers searching, they found it about 150 feet from the posted GZ. If some more people had posted DNFs, the CO would have realized something was up, and investigated. The incorrect coordinates would have been fixed weeks earlier.

Edited for spelling as pointed out by brslk.

Edited by Andronicus

Sigh...what's so complicated about, "I searched, I did not find, I log a DNF?" Multiple times on the same cache if necessary. There shouldn't be semantical variations on that theme in my opinion.

Some folks around my area have taken to logging "needs maintenance" if they can't find a cache. How can one possibly know if a cache needs maintenance if they did not find it?

283 DNFs and rapidly approaching #300. Is there a commemorative geocoin for that milestone?

Of my 283 DNFs, 118 were the result of the cache actually not being there based on confirmation from the owner that the cache was gone. The DNF log spurred the maintenance run that otherwise would not have occured. People who don't log DNFs set up future cachers for failure and leave the owner in the dark about there possibly being a problem.

Gee I love the subtle pun in this thread's title!

DNF - pretty straightforward. As a cache owner, I'm with Scubasonic's 3 strikes & I'm out there rule (unless there's a comment such as didn't find cache - just scattered remnants...). As a cache hunter, saying I DNF'd it does three things - It reminds me I'm fallible, it lets the cache owner know there's either an issue or the cache is fiendishly well-hidden (much to the cache owner's merriment), and it sets me up for kindly email traffic from local cachers who either commiserate with my difficulties in finding the particular hide or who tease me about needing to bring my grandpa glasses along...

Even with park'n'grabs (which have been the only kind of caches I've had time to seek for the last two weeks of awesome record-setting Indian Summer weather here) the cache hunt (for me) is about the journey more than it's about the find. I like my smileys just like the next guy - but I remember something about every cache hunt whether I found it or not.

That reminds me - I've got a bone to pick about how Geocache Navigator 'tweets' to Facebook regarding 'found' logs - a DNF tweets as a 'find' - a detail that needs fixing!

Way to though around the insults without knowing the facts. During the comarison with other, we all discussed how our DNF numbers were generated. There was no dishonesty involved. But thanks for your vote of ... whatever it was.

I didn't "though" around any insults without knowing the facts. I responded with my opinion based on the facts you provided.

I made it quite clear what my opinion was. It was that you were less than honest.

Deal with it. :huh:

Edited by brslk

Being new to all of this (about two weeks) I have only found three and had my first DNF yesterday, I did recored it as such on the website. Now, the owner of the cache emailed me last night to tell me where to find it. Now I don't know if that is normal? If he / she is trying to be helpful ? It stinks because now I can walk a half mile from where I am sitting and find it.

I guess I should still continue to post my DNF's ?

Thanks for everyone's help here.

Being new to all of this (about two weeks) I have only found three and had my first DNF yesterday, I did recored it as such on the website. Now, the owner of the cache emailed me last night to tell me where to find it. Now I don't know if that is normal? If he / she is trying to be helpful ? It stinks because now I can walk a half mile from where I am sitting and find it.

Usually only when a cacher email the CO and asks for a hint. Apparently this CO "guessed" that you needed one.

Yes, continue with your DNFs, they are important log records that others may use to determine whether or not a cache is actually missing or needs some maintenance. :blink: A DNF really should not be changed to a find after the fact, because it is a part of the cache history. Some do that though :huh: !

I would never just email someone and tell them where it is. I think it is just wrong to assume the person wants to be spoiled that way. I have emailed people about DNFs and asked them if they would like a hint.

It seems to me the purpose of logging a DNF is to (1) let the cache owner know there might be a problem with the coords or difficulty, (2) let the world know I'm stupid and/or lazy and couldn't find the cache (yes, some will argue that #2 is not the case, but you can't deny that some people do view it as such, right or wrong).

So, if I spend a fair amount of time looking for a cache and come up empty, then I should (and do) log a DNF because #1 comes into play. If, on the other hand, I go to GZ and see there's a million places where the micro could be located, no hint, and I give it a half-hearted try (because I'm in no mood to get on my hands and knees and go through the bushes with a fine tooth comb, etc.), then #1 does not come into play, and the only reason for me to log a DNF is #2. I don't consider #2 a valid reason for logging a DNF.

Alternatively, if I'm looking for a 3.5+ difficulty and I can't find it, and there are plenty of recent found logs (from people with much more experience than I), then, again, #1 doesn't come into play (the fact that a relative newbie couldn't find a difficult cache does not tell the CO there's a potential problem with the cache). In that event, the only purpose in logging the DNF is to say, "Yeah, I'm an inexperienced newbie," which has overtones of #2.

In other words, unless my DNF will impart information to the CO, there's no valid reason to log it.

I always log my DNFs. If for no other reason, than to track what I need to go back and find someday...

Periodically I look at just my DNFs, and then go through to see if anyone else has posted a find since my DNF. If so, then I need to get back there and get a smiley! If not, after a while, I might ask the CO. If I try again after my DNF and after someone elses find, and I still can't find it, I might message the CO or the previous finder for a nudge.

When I DNF, I'm always positive it's muggled - I mean, it has to be, right? :laughing:

I am glad someone just posted a DNF on my cache. Had just replaced it, and the highways bods have now erected a fence at the rest stop. We'll be able to see it, but are unsure if we can retrieve it or will have to place a new one. I wrote the cacher who posted the DNF to thank him for giving us the heads-up.

QUOTE(bug512 @ Nov 8 2009, 07:05 AM)

Usually only when a cacher email the CO and asks for a hint. Apparently this CO "guessed" that you needed one.

This happens far too often, IMO. I hate it when the CO assumes(!) that my DNF means that I need a hint--and in fact sends more than a "hint" an outright spoiler. If I want a hint, I'll ask for one.

I said once before that I was going to log my DNFs as "notes" rather than "DNF", but I forgot and logged a couple DNFs -- and what appears in my email the next day but a nice friendly message telling me exactly where to find them. Does NOT give me a nice friendly feeling.

I have yet to find anywhere that posting a DNF is required. I find the argument that 'it notifies the CO that there might be a problem' to be specious at best. A DNF from an experienced geocacher, perhaps. And that depends on many things including difficulty level. Myself, I am quite capable of tripping over a 1/1 and DNFing it. That tells the CO nothing. And clogs up the page with useless facts.

Breathe deeply. Say "Oh, well". And continue on. If I think there is a valid concern, I will post such. Though I find that there is little response from cache owners to such concerns.

i feel that if you punch the numbers into your GPS that is the start of the search........ if you get there and there is a little old lady wobbling about at GZ, then you have a DNF, but in the log you just put unable to surch due to old deer at GZ, it dosnt mean your not very good at lookign or cant read a GPS, but there was an issue so you couldnt find it.

on the other hand if you search for half hour cant find it after looking under every rock then log the DNF, it may have been muggled or the hide is just so good you didnt find it.

the cache can be muggled any time, anywhere....... one cache i set was placed at 8pm revieved and listed at 8:45pm and the first cacher arrived on the scene at 9:00pm as it was 5 minuets from his house, he searched and searched and could not find it, after a visit at 9:45pm it confirmed it had been muggled - so within 60 minuets, that cache was reset and re muggled twice, now it is disabled awaiting a new location!!

There's an issue with your avatar? I knew that immediately it was anti monkey butt powder. They sponsor race cars in the U.S.

Anyways, this is not the least bit unusual, what the OP describes. People seem to be more than willing to admit in their find logs that they've been to the cache site several times, but never post a single DNF. I don't get it, never have, and never will. What can you do? One of the great mysteries of Geocaching. People don't like to admit failure publicly, I suppose. Or they only like to admit it after they've been there a few times? :lol:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I post a DNF for anything I go out and look for. With that being said I don't like the whole middle of a big crowd trying to look and not be seen or looking suspious. If I get to the parking area and the direction the GPS'r is pointing has people around it. I don't even get out of the vehicle to look I just move on to the next cache. In that case I don't post a DNF. If I don't look then out can I not find. If they come up with a DNL log then I would be happy to use it.

I try to post all of my DNF's. I know how important it is for maintenance and for the next cachers.

I know I sure appreciate it if the guy before me posted a DNF and I can't find it. Makes me not waste a lot of time on something that may not be there.

I also know that sometimes if I have a lot of caches to log I often forget the DNF's. I try to get all of them, but I know sometimes after logging a lot of finds, and trying to do a decent job of writing a good log, rather than TFTF, I just want to get off the computer sometimes.

So some get missed now and then.

I do try to make up for it by following up on caches that have been DNF'ed for months, one I recently saw has no finds in the last year. I put a "needs maintenance" and a watch. I'll go back in a while, and if nothing has been done I'll e-mail the owner. If nothing is still done, then I'll write up a "needs archiving."

I try to do follow up on caches I come across because I know most people don't, and I'll only hit them once myself.

A 'soft DNF' is a neat idea. :)

If folks post a DNF log for my cache, I will go to make sure that all is OK with it. :)

Really after just one DNF? :D

I use the "3 Strikes your out" method I will typically not go out and check on it till I get 3 consecutive DNFs on it. When I was new to caching I would go out everytime someone posted a DNF only to find the cache was right where it was suppose to be. So know it's 3 strikes and I'm OUT (Out there checking on it).

ScubaSonic

I amend my thoughts on the soft DNF. DNF is just that, after seeing other replies here this evening. I'll still post a DNF if I didn't find it. What that tells the CO, I guess that's up to the CO to determine. If I'm a Stump and cannot locate an 'easy' cache, then so be it. If it's a really great hide that tripped me up, then so be that as well. Either way, I'll likely return to actually Find it when I can.

I've one good example of a DNF that I logged. My GPSr was all off course and DD and I were in a swamp looking for one and ended up empty. I posted a DNF. I went out to find it again one day after work and met with Success. I took DD to it to show her where it was and happily posted the Found log.

The CO never emailed me any hints. I never even thought to ask for one either, so I'm glad he did not. I think now that I would have been a bit offended if he just thought he had to (without my having asked) told me where it was. To me, that IS a Spoiler. Sure would have spoiled my second trip to that cache.

As a new Owner, I know that I will not just email a DNF poster with any spoilers. Why ruin their fun? Why should I presume that the DNF poster is too stupid to find the cache? I won't.

Now, what I WILL do is address comments about the co ords. IE: I posted an Owner Maintenance log giving a 'range' of where the cache is. I did this knowing that different GPSr's can prove to be more or less accurate given different weather conditions and so on. My own GPSr gave me this 'range' at a cache that I have visited very often (now that I own it). These same variables are also why we failed on that DNF I was just talkin' about.

I did not change the co ords for the cache listing for the very same reason. I found the cache with the given co ords so I saw no reason to post any different numbers. The same can be said about the hunter who told me the co ords were off by 30 feet. He even blamed his GPSr, much like I will do if I suffer a DNF. But this hunter did find my cache with the listed co ords. Thus, no change to the listing.

Regarding my Quoted Quote:

I'll look at the DNF log before I decide to run out and check on the cache. I'll pay attention to the Context of any DNF logs to determine if there is a reason to run out right away to check on it. With that in mind, I like your 3 Strikes theory. That makes sense to me as a new CO.

I'm fairly new to Geocaching and I'm Definitely a newbie as an owner. So I guess it's all gonna boil down to a Judgment call on my cache. But the reason I even Own this cache is due to somebody posting a Needs Archived log for the previous CO. IMHO, the Needs Archived log was premature. But... the original CO hasn't responded to any log entries for over a year so I took over from there.

I just don't want to ever let my new cache ever get to that status again. So as an Owner, I would appreciate any and all DNF log entries.

Make sense folks?

What happens if you are looking for a cache don't find it and then get hungry and go get some breakfast. After breakfast you come back and look for it but don't find it. You are tired and so you go get some coffee and come back an hour later. After the coffee you come back and look and you find it!

So are you supposed to log 2 DNFs and a find or just log a find? I'm sooo confused....

Drink the coffee before going caching next time! :)

I'd just log it as a find, but it is a good story, so make sure you tell that in the log. Things like that make logs fun to read.

:) If I drink too much coffee it would cause even more DNFs from having to quit looking and run to the bathroom! :(:D

I would log it as one find and tell the story. :)

I'd say to post the Find, and tell that story if you wish. JMHO though.

I don't see a need to post 2 DNF's and then a Found Log if you find the cache on the 3rd trip of the same day. Do the specific circumstances really matter?

For example: DD and I went out to several caches that we ourselves missed the Find. We ended up meeting a couple of fellow cachers and we collectively found all of the caches we were after.

At the end of the day, I posted a Found log and told the proper story of how we found them. I gave Credit to the fact that we had some help. Some I found myself and the others the rest of the team actually made the find. Either way, I told the truth in my Log.

Sometimes the Team Effort is what it's all about. I just told the Truth in my Log Entry, and so did the other Team Members. I have seen similar log entries from Team Efforts at other caches.

However you look at it, Honesty is the best policy. As a cache owner, I would find the single Found Log interesting to read if it involved a scenario similar to my own hunts. The single Found log (telling the full story) would be better than 2 DNF's and then the Found log in a single day. Again, JMHO.

I don't see a need to post 2 DNF's and then a Found Log if you find the cache on the 3rd trip of the same day. Do the specific circumstances really matter?
So what if the same situation happened except you left to eat dinner and came back the next morning to continue looking?

Is there a time limit between breaks that mandates that you log a DNF? If so, what is it?

I just started geocaching and to be honest I didn't know people actually cared how many "finds" they had. I logged my first 2 finds and first DNF because I had fun and wanted to share with other people I thought were like minded.

It's a shame.

Just happened to wander into this forum but I feel I must add my comments. In my opinion this is a PERSONAL SPORT - have fun and keep track of whatever compels you! I have many friends in this sport and most of them are just out for fun, adventure and exercise. Unfortunately, some are out to dictate as seems to be the case in these silly forums. I find it best to stay away from these forums - too many naysayers. I agree - it is a shame!

:)

I just started geocaching and to be honest I didn't know people actually cared how many "finds" they had. I logged my first 2 finds and first DNF because I had fun and wanted to share with other people I thought were like minded.

It's a shame.

Just happened to wander into this forum but I feel I must add my comments. In my opinion this is a PERSONAL SPORT - have fun and keep track of whatever compels you! I have many friends in this sport and most of them are just out for fun, adventure and exercise. Unfortunately, some are out to dictate as seems to be the case in these silly forums. I find it best to stay away from these forums - too many naysayers. I agree - it is a shame!

:)

Nice posts!
So what if the same situation happened except you left to eat dinner and came back the next morning to continue looking?

Is there a time limit between breaks that mandates that you log a DNF? If so, what is it?

For me it goes by date. If I visit 3 times in one day and end up with a find, I would log the find. However, if I visit on Monday and did not find it, then returned the next day and found it. I'd log a DNF on Monday and a Found on Tuesday

Edited by SkellyCA

It might. If I went to look for an urban cache about noon and wasn't able to retrieve it because there were too many muggles about, then went back at 7:00pm and was easily able to find it, that might tell others that might want to search for the cache that searching for it when there may be lots of people out on a lunch break might not be a good idea.

For me it goes by date. If I visit 3 times in one day and end up with a find, I would log the find. However, if I visit on Monday and did not find it, then returned the next day and found it. I'd log a DNF on Monday and a Found on Tuesday

I usually cache hunt on weekends. So... if we hunt on Saturday and miss the "found" and find it on the next day (Sunday) I would include those details in my Found log that I posted on Sunday. Again, this goes back into the details of the story that you tell on the Found Log.

There are also times when I don't get onto the computer to post any logs at all. When that happens, I have to tell my story from a day or more ago. In that case, I post a Single Log and explain all of the details (giving the proper dates within the story) and so far these have been all Found Logs.

It's all in the story that you tell. And being Honest and all inclusive of the details.

It might. If I went to look for an urban cache about noon and wasn't able to retrieve it because there were too many muggles about, then went back at 7:00pm and was easily able to find it, that might tell others that might want to search for the cache that searching for it when there may be lots of people out on a lunch break might not be a good idea.

Again. It's all in the story that you post about in your "Found It" log entry.

If these circumstances fit into a Single "Found It" log, then do that. Be honest and just tell the story as it actually is. Within that story, you can easily advise other cachers to consider the best times to go after the cache.

I revert back to my point about each DNF log. The Owners of each cache get emails for each and every log entry. As an Owner myself, I would prefer a single Email/Log entry telling a full story of the eventual Find, rather then a few logs about how the hunter has missed the find at first only to end up Finding it fairly soon.

Just post the Truth in your log, I guess. Tell the Whole Story when you find it. But maybe don't waste the CO's time with useless DNF logs.

IMHO, just say the Truth in your log posts. That's all that I'll ever ask for.

For me its different day, different log..

If I DNF twice in the same day it will be combined into a single log. While I think logging DNFs is important, logging multiple DNFs on the same day is silly.