Travel bug etiquette question

Opalblade

I'm a newbie, started last week, and found travel bugs for the first time ever tonight at a local travel bug hotel :) There were seven travel bugs inside and I took two, planning to relocate them this wknd when I go out of town. Is there an etiquette to how many you should take from any given cache? Like a limit of one so others get a chance? Or are the travel bug owners so eager to have them keep moving that I should have taken more? Is this a silly thing to stress out about? :D

I'm a newbie, started last week, and found travel bugs for the first time ever tonight at a local travel bug hotel :) There were seven travel bugs inside and I took two, planning to relocate them this wknd when I go out of town. Is there an etiquette to how many you should take from any given cache? Like a limit of one so others get a chance? Or are the travel bug owners so eager to have them keep moving that I should have taken more? Is this a silly thing to stress out about? :D

Take as many as you can move along in a timely manner.

There is no rule other than if you take one out you are supposed to move it along to another cache.

Just don't put it in one of my caches. I think I have a cache maggot targeting me.

Generally there is no limit on the number of bugs you can take but usually a Travel Bug hotel/motel is meant to be a take one leave one cache. That way there is always a bug in there to be moved on.

The "take one leave one"idea is not generally accepted. That kind of short sighted thinking can cause bugs to spend too much time waiting in a cache and not enough time traveling. Move those bugs!!!

If you can assist the bug towards its mission take as many as you want.

You can ignore any one for one trading rules.

I agree but it is still a game which others are playing so i would avoid just clearing these places out as they do serve a purpose. When I first started I seen the leave one take one on many so at the time I left them alone. Now I will always take 1 or 2 unless I know I am helping the traveller with its mission then I would definately take more.

Travel bugs are meant to move, at least mine are. I'm not interested in people leaving my bug behind just because they felt moving my bug was taking something away from some other supposed cacher who may or may not be visiting the cache at a later date.

You have complete permission to move each and every one of my bugs. There are plenty to go around.

Move those Bugs!

And as for trade restrictions.

How would you like it if you went on vacation, stayed for a while, and when it was time to go, the hotel desk clerk said that you couldn't leave because there was no other guest to take your place?

So you're sitting glumly in the hotel lobby, waiting for someone to come by to set you free. Other guests who also wish to check out join you for the long wait. Taxis and buses drive by the hotel, heading toward your destination, but they aren't allowed to pick you up because they have no passengers to drop off.

Finally a new guest arrives. "Free at last!" you think to yourself, and pick up your bags to leave.

Not so fast! The new arrival gets to decide who goes free. And it's not necessarily you, even though you've been waiting the longest. "That family over there, the one with the cute kids -- they can go," the new arrival says. You stand there, bags in hand, stunned. The desk clerk sneers at you.

Not your idea of a fun vacation? Well, that's just what goes on at the "TB Hotels" which require a one-for-one bug swap, or which have a minimum-number-of-bugs rule. The cache owners are holding your bugs hostage for their own amusement, blithely ignoring the bugs' goals. - HC

Travel bugs are meant to move, at least mine are. I'm not interested in people leaving my bug behind just because they felt moving my bug was taking something away from some other supposed cacher who may or may not be visiting the cache at a later date.

You have complete permission to move each and every one of my bugs. There are plenty to go around.

Move those Bugs!

And as for trade restrictions.

How would you like it if you went on vacation, stayed for a while, and when it was time to go, the hotel desk clerk said that you couldn't leave because there was no other guest to take your place?

So you're sitting glumly in the hotel lobby, waiting for someone to come by to set you free. Other guests who also wish to check out join you for the long wait. Taxis and buses drive by the hotel, heading toward your destination, but they aren't allowed to pick you up because they have no passengers to drop off.

Finally a new guest arrives. "Free at last!" you think to yourself, and pick up your bags to leave.

Not so fast! The new arrival gets to decide who goes free. And it's not necessarily you, even though you've been waiting the longest. "That family over there, the one with the cute kids -- they can go," the new arrival says. You stand there, bags in hand, stunned. The desk clerk sneers at you.

Not your idea of a fun vacation? Well, that's just what goes on at the "TB Hotels" which require a one-for-one bug swap, or which have a minimum-number-of-bugs rule. The cache owners are holding your bugs hostage for their own amusement, blithely ignoring the bugs' goals. - HC

I love this piece.

Could it be added to this topic perhaps? - Notable quotes - Interesting stuff from the forums."

MrsB

Travel bugs are meant to move, at least mine are.

I love this piece.

Could it be added to this topic perhaps? - Notable quotes - Interesting stuff from the forums."

MrsB

Agreed, move them bugs. We found a wooden cache container close to here that was actually busting at the seams due to being a TB prison. We took about half, the ones we thought others would be less likely to pick up.

Agreed, move them bugs. We found a wooden cache container close to here that was actually busting at the seams due to being a TB prison. We took about half, the ones we thought others would be less likely to pick up.

There you go. If you can move them you should. That's what the bug owners would want you to do.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Generally there is no limit on the number of bugs you can take but usually a Travel Bug hotel/motel is meant to be a take one leave one cache. That way there is always a bug in there to be moved on.

No self-respecting travel bug hotel owner would have such a rule and try to enforce it in this modern day and age. They may ask that you trade trackables but that is not a rule.

It is okay to start a travel bug in someone else's cache? I'm new and don't think I will be starting my own cache any time soon.

You Betcha, it is. No problem whatsoever (as long as it fits inside :lol: )!

That way too, if it is a new cache for you to find, you get a "smiley" too boot!

If not, just place the TB with a "note" instead of a "found it" log. Be sure to drop the TB by scrolling down, highlighting it in your inventory window, before submitting the log (via either log "note" or "found it").

You Betcha, it is. No problem whatsoever (as long as it fits inside :lol: )!

Well, that's not entirely correct. You can Dip (Drop and Retrieve) a bug through a cache even though it's not big enough to fit. Sometimes people will take their bug caching locally before taking it on a long trip. That way the bug starting mileage is close to their home. It doesn't matter if it's a micro, the bug can still get credit for visiting the cache.

But yes you can start a bug in someone else's cache.

Edited by BlueDeuce

End-all answer to every travel bug question:

Do whatever you want.

There are no rules with travel bugs. There are plenty of suggestions, plenty of etiquette, and plenty of opinions. Feel free to ignore them all - just as long as you enjoy the game.

And there are plenty of selfish, self-absorbed people who think they get to do whatever they want with other people's travelers. Thankfully they are few and far between. :laughing:

Interesting to note that C@ptainHook doesn't have any of his or her own travelers out there.

Edited by ThePetersTrio

Was just going to ask this question, but HEY! search worked for once!

I dropped off a TB in a hotel and took 3 TBs and a coin. Seems like if everyone followed the 1-to-1 rule, there would still be a bunch left behind. Seemed to make sense to me at the time, and I'm glad to hear the majority agreeing with this logic.