City Navigator® North America NT

Has anyone used the micro SD version of these updated maps on the nuvi 350 and the 60Csx handheld with success. We're looking to update the nuvi maps but would love to be able to use it on the handheld 60Csx as well. I know the Garmin site shows it might be possible but we're looking for someone that has actually done it. Opinions?

Has anyone used the micro SD version of these updated maps on the nuvi 350 and the 60Csx handheld with success. We're looking to update the nuvi maps but would love to be able to use it on the handheld 60Csx as well. I know the Garmin site shows it might be possible but we're looking for someone that has actually done it. Opinions?

Maps on cards are not locked to a specific unit, so you should be able to swap them.

The CN product is licensed to a specific device. It can not be used on two different devices without getting a second license (read another DVD). If someone has successfully ran the maps on a nuvi 350 and a 60CSx with only one license then they have violated the license terms.

Jim

The CN product is licensed to a specific device. It can not be used on two different devices without getting a second license (read another DVD). If someone has successfully ran the maps on a nuvi 350 and a 60CSx with only one license then they have violated the license terms.

Jim

he said the micro sd version, which i believe can be swapped between units. to the op: i haven't tried it but will be interested in finding out as well.

Jim

Preloaded cards are not locked to an individual device. You just pop them in, and they work.

Jim

The original post asks about the micro SD version of City Navigator, not the DVD.

The first answer is correct: you CAN use the card versions of Garmin's maps in any Garmin device that will find its maps on the card.

The negative of the card versions of Garmin's maps is that you cannot write anything else on the card, like POIs, tracks, etc. And you cannot backup the card so if you lose it or mess it up you have to buy a new one.

...ken...

The negative of the card versions of Garmin's maps is that you cannot write anything else on the card, like POIs, tracks, etc. And you cannot backup the card so if you lose it or mess it up you have to buy a new one.

...ken...

If I loose my card I would understandably have to buy a new one, but if the card stopped working I would not buy another. I would just call garmin and have them replace the card just like if my gps stopped working.

I have used these cards before, yes they can be swapped between units. Works out really nice for those of us who buy new gps models frequently.

And the card is not eligible for a NuMaps subscription, while the DVD is.

I am beginning to think that may not be as big a negative as I once did. I own an older Garmin device that will not use NT maps. Garmin has officially discontinued non-NT maps. That leaves me high and dry for maps for that device (it's still my favorite and most-used).

If the lifetime maps had been available at the time, I would have signed up for them. I would be very disappointed now.

Those who, like me, have an excellent Garmin device that they plan on keeping long enough to make the lifetime maps a good idea will eventually also be disappointed.

The maps are locked to a specific device. You can be assured that Garmin will eventually do something to force you to buy a new GPS device whether you need it or not. :huh:

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina

An interesting and timely post. I am also thinking of buying City Navigator maps. Right now I have 3 SD cards - City Nav Europe, Topo Western Canada, and Ibycus on a 60CSx. I have no problem with storage of caches, but am thinking of going to DVD for the NT map so I have the option of upgrades. I never thought of using it on my car's Nuvi too!

My question is, what happens if your computer crashes or you upgrade it? Will Garmin replace your DVD or do you have to buy a new one? At least with an SD card, I know my 60CSx will be with me for years to come...knock wood.

An interesting and timely post. I am also thinking of buying City Navigator maps. Right now I have 3 SD cards - City Nav Europe, Topo Western Canada, and Ibycus on a 60CSx. I have no problem with storage of caches, but am thinking of going to DVD for the NT map so I have the option of upgrades. I never thought of using it on my car's Nuvi too!

My question is, what happens if your computer crashes or you upgrade it? Will Garmin replace your DVD or do you have to buy a new one? At least with an SD card, I know my 60CSx will be with me for years to come...knock wood.

What's a computer crash got to do with the DVD? Just re-install it. The DVD can be installed on any number of computers. The maps are locked to the GPSr, not your computer.

What's a computer crash got to do with the DVD? Just re-install it. The DVD can be installed on any number of computers. The maps are locked to the GPSr, not your computer.

Okay, I didn't know that. Obviously I've been fed some false information from a friend who said he could only download City Navigator on two computers, and when he bought a new computer Garmin wouldn't let him get a new unlock key.

So what you're saying is you can load the maps onto as many computers as you like, but you can only send it to one GPS? That's awesome news, and really makes me want to buy a DVD now. These forums are great for learning new stuff!

The maps also come with the Mapsource program which is great for viewing your tracks and doing trip planning on your PC or laptop.

To answer the other part of your question that hasn't been answered, you get unlock codes for each of the devices you unlock the maps to. So, if you lose the DVD or it gets damaged and you need another one you can get a free one from Garmin. Then you just use your unlock codes again after reinstalling the maps on the computer.

If you get the DVD, make sure you keep copies of your unlock codes around, just in case.

...ken...

The maps also come with the Mapsource program which is great for viewing your tracks and doing trip planning on your PC or laptop.

To answer the other part of your question that hasn't been answered, you get unlock codes for each of the devices you unlock the maps to. So, if you lose the DVD or it gets damaged and you need another one you can get a free one from Garmin. Then you just use your unlock codes again after reinstalling the maps on the computer.

If you get the DVD, make sure you keep copies of your unlock codes around, just in case.

...ken...

I believe if you register your maps the web site tracks your unlock codes. At least with my lifetime NA maps for my nuvi each download is listed with the unlock codes. But I guess a paper copy is always a good idea.

Jim

I believe if you register your maps the web site tracks your unlock codes. At least with my lifetime NA maps for my nuvi each download is listed with the unlock codes. But I guess a paper copy is always a good idea.

Jim

I do all of the above. I have my unlock codes stored on MyGarmin so I can just tell the unlock manager to restore the codes from there after a reinstall.

I have saved copies of the unlock file (.UNL) on my computer backup in case the Garmin site is down.

I have the unlock codes stored in my PDA so it doesn't matter if my original computer dies or the Garmin site is down, I can still restore on a new computer.

I think I'm covered. :)

...ken...