The return of an old friend!

Just a few minutes ago, a knock came at my door and you'll never guess what the road commission worker had in his hand. Some will remember I left my PN-40 on the hood of my Jeep earlier this year and lost it...well, it returned home today! BADLY beaten up, it is missing the adaptor and has somescratches on the screensaver (won't remove it though as I don't have another), the buttons are scratched up, the case is cracked near the top and bottom right corners of the screen (orange part) and the seal "gasket" between the very bottom of the orange and where it meets the black bottom part is sticking out!

The guy said my name was inside whe he turned it on, but the battery was dead and it only stayed on for a second. He brought it home, I am really in shock!! If this isn't a GREAT reason to make sure you put your personal info in, I don't know what is! I changed out batteries and it powered right up...and it acquired signal within 2 minutes of power-up!! :rolleyes:

The unit must have stayed on the hood quite a distance, it was found almost 12 miles from where I put it on the hood...I stopped looking for it after about 10 miles...D'OH! Just programmed it to route me to a cache about 15 miles down the road, it took 22 seconds (slow) and is now telling me to get moving!!

The body is obviously deformed, it must have landed with a lot of force, but it works perfectly as far as I can tell so far! I guess I'll give it to my son to use. :ph34r:;)

Just thought I'd tell you. I can't believe how durable this bad puppy is! I mean, it sat out there after smashing to the pavement at 55 mph. It has rained so hard at times that we were flooded and it still didn't leak even with obvious weak areas. Well done DeLorme, well done! :anibad:

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Not only is it a testament to Delorme and its well built device, but it is a testament to the fact there are still good people out there! This fellow was honest and obviously went out of his way to return it to you. Well done to both parties! :)

Edited by Timpat

Not only is it a testament to Delorme and its well built device, but it is a testament to the fact there are still good people out there! This fellow was honest and obviously went out of his way to return it to you. Well done to both parties! :)

I can't speak for anyone else, but, . . . If I were in 'D's marketing I'd be calling you up for a transcript and

checking into getting it repaired for parts cost. Just a thought!

Now there's one for "Creative thinkers"!

Norm

As it would go, all my batteries are dead. As soon as I recharge them, I will post pics!! It is really not in all that bad of shape for as bad of an ordeal it went through!

Yes, it is uncommon for such honesty these days, I was thoroughly impressed...and just returned from paying him back. A nice steak dinner...and some "beverages"! :)

Congrats RR on the return of your old friend! While it's nice to hear that your beloved survived the abuse it was also refreshing to read about a good samaritan. Hopefully my PN-40 will never be tested that severely, but it's encouraging to hear there's at least a small chance it will survive. Thanks for sharing the good news! :)

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

That's cool! Who would have ever thought that the old boy would show back up. I'm glad that I took the time to put my name, address and phone number on my garmin. I don't think it would take the almost year out side though. That rubber band around tho outside of thous things are CRAP :D .

And to find something that was kind enuf to bring it back. Shoot I think I'm going to find a PN-40 that doesn't work and bring it to you. Free food yep I'm hungry just thinking about it :) .

Thanks for all.

Cachensfun

Here's a view of my PN-40, looks fairly normal doesn't it? One would never guess from this picture that it fell from my hood at around 55 mph!!29583ff2-0454-49f8-bc12-3a3cdefb7b0a.jpg

Here's a closer view showing the keypad and bottom of the screen.Can you see the crack in the orange casing near the bottom right of the screen?0e822775-7fa2-46ee-843a-50e77aa2cd80.jpg

Here's a side view, notice the cracks and scuffs in the orange upper casing. Also notice the rubber gasket that was squished out upon impact. This unit took a hard hit. You can also notice the "buckling" of the black casingwhere it meets the rubber gasket and upper casing...it almost looks pried up.ed6ecb60-ff85-4392-a175-10bd73c8e840.jpg

Closer view of the side showing the cracks and the buckling of the bottom casing. The velcro on the back cover is my hillbilly car/kayak mount lol.5a851dcf-c64e-4d42-8004-497b5d361175.jpg

Screen view. Aside from smudges and some scuffing around the outside of the viewing area, no real damage here. You can see the deformity and cracks in the casing though...really took a beating, but works like a charm!035ba412-1064-4b70-821b-8f2eb0e55401.jpg

Here's my old reliable with my new baby, I turned the old one on to let it acquire signal which took about 30 secs to settle down to 14'.c838ef3c-d7d2-404a-a28d-6fa8927c1840.jpg

I am really impressed with the ruggedness of this unit, WOW!!

I'll bet a new screen protector would make the face a little prettier...if you need a new one, I'm pretty sure I have one or two of the DeLorme protectors that I would send you. (I've got a Zagg on mine, so I don't expect I'll ever need the DeLormes.) Send me a PM with your address if you want.

Very cool story Rod and heartiest of congrats on the return of the 40! :D

I'd send it back to the "spa" at Delorme for some well deserved TLC. I'm guessing it wouldn't cost much to replace the casing and buttons and they might perform the repairs for you gratis in exchange for rights to your story and some well choreographed publicity photos next to the Jeep on the trail where it was lost.:D

Just a thought, lol. :)

Be Safe.

N

So, did it happen to have a track log of its 'trip'?

Never thought of that, let me check!

Embra, THANKS for the offer... :)

as for the track, yes, there is one...but it doesn't make sense to me. It shows following the roads in some places while just going cross-country in others. My memory isn't the best, so I don't know where we were before the day I lost it.

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Talk in the DeLorme forums speculates toward the unit was run over which caused the "squishing" of the gasket and buckling of the bottom casing. I never thought of that, but it does make sense. Wow.

I have plugged the unit in with the one piece and the two piece (adaptor)...works fine, charges and talks to the computer!

The funny thing, when we lost this, it had coords to a multi we own which I lost all the stage coords to...can now go out and maintain that puppy!! There's also a cache on there that I had hidden that night and never was published because I never had the chance to return and grab new coords...a new hide is coming out soon lol

With more examination and discussion in the DeLorme forums, I believe the unit bounced hard on the pavement, skidded and bounced a bit before being run over twice or more...once while it laid on it's left side (right side facing upward) and at least once more while laying either face up or fave down (I'd guess face down).

Damage to the right side along with the tire tracks which were pointed out to me suggest this...

I had the chance to do a bit of testing on the unit today, it worked perfectly while routing me to a location, followed maps and even locked WAAS for most of the time I had it on. Works like it always did, I am impressed!!

Plugged in, it charges from computer, haven't tried the car charger, but assume it'll also work since the adaptor is the same...no problems with connection is what I am seeing even though I was worried since the old adaptor is missing.

NICE!!!

I've got an RMA, it will go back as soon as I'm employed again and can afford to have repairs made. I told them it could be months and they were fine with that!!

Until then, it works perfectly...even better than my replacement unit (PN-40se) does. Faster sat lock and gets WAAS more times than not and faster at route calculating. I believe it also does better at holding sat lock, but haven't had enough time to make the comparison to back that claim.

Even in it's current condition, my old beloved ORANGE is the go to unit!! :lol:

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Let me see if I've got this straight.......

At some time in the future you are going to send back to the manufacturer a unit that works "perfectly" to have it repaired ???..... to bring it up to like new condition and standards....that don't lock as quickly, that don't acquire WAAS as regularly, or calculate routes as quickly, or possibly maintain sat lock as well????????????

Is this a DUH ! moment or what?

Sounds to me like what you really need to do is leave your SE laying in the road in traffic for a while!

(Sorry, the Devil made me do it)

Let me see if I've got this straight.......

At some time in the future you are going to send back to the manufacturer a unit that works "perfectly" to have it repaired ???..... to bring it up to like new condition and standards....that don't lock as quickly, that don't acquire WAAS as regularly, or calculate routes as quickly, or possibly maintain sat lock as well????????????

Is this a DUH ! moment or what?

Sounds to me like what you really need to do is leave your SE laying in the road in traffic for a while!

(Sorry, the Devil made me do it)

My new unit has never worked as well as my newly FOUND unit did before I lost it. After finding it, the newly found unit STILL works better than it's replacement, even in it's present condition.

Since my beloved ORANGE is now at risk of water damage (read as the waterproof protection is compromised), I will be sending it in, when I can again afford to, so it can be brought back to it's original beauty. I don't expect the DeLorme repairs crew to be repairing any of the internal (working) parts, just the damaged parts on the outside.

My beloved ORANGE worked and works better than the replacement, I always thought this after getting my replacement. My suspicions have been proven true so far, more testing is needed yet! This is the same unit I have posted about in the past when I made statements of how well the PN-40 works!!

Does DeLorme have a fixed rate for repairs, or does the cost depend on the kind of repair being made?

No idea. I told them what was broken, what the unit does now and we discussed when I could eventually return it. I was told that, if it was just exterior, it shouldn't be too much, but I've no idea what "too much" is! :)

Does DeLorme have a fixed rate for repairs, or does the cost depend on the kind of repair being made?

No idea. I told them what was broken, what the unit does now and we discussed when I could eventually return it. I was told that, if it was just exterior, it shouldn't be too much, but I've no idea what "too much" is! :)

I would be careful. When I worked in a repair depot for electronics several years ago, We would swap out the old unit for a new one. It is cheaper that way.

Make sure you mark down your serial number(s) and don't let them tell you that the repair required wiping the memory.

They will often tell you that the internal battery needed replacement and that is why the all information in it is lost.

Not trying to make it like they are out to screw you but... this stuff happens often.

And now... I will go out and look for a used DeLorme to buy!

Excellent story!

Edited by brslk

I don't think I could replace the gasket and call it good, the casing is damaged as well. I truly don't believe DeLorme will treat me in any way but proper, they've been truly awesome throughout my DeLorme ownership days! :) I trust them wholeheartedly, and I highly recommend them if you're looking for a GPS.

The internal is in perfect working order, therefore, I doubt DeLorme would replace anything but the casing and buttons, which is likely to be pretty inexpensive (I could be wrong, but I'm going by my own feelings as well as the thoughts of the DeLorme tech I talked with)...surely cheaper than replacing the whole unit!

I'm not understanding the thought of swapping the guts though, do you mean with my replacement unit?

I'm not understanding the thought of swapping the guts though, do you mean with my replacement unit?

Correct. Put the "better" internals from the wrecked unit into your replacements housing.

Which would work, but when the unit is fixed, I'll have 2 units. Besides, I don't think I would know how to do that, it appears it might be a bit out of my capabilities! :)

Correct. Put the "better" internals from the wrecked unit into your replacements housing.

Which would work, but when the unit is fixed, I'll have 2 units. Besides, I don't think I would know how to do that, it appears it might be a bit out of my capabilities! :)

Isn't one a 'base' 40, and the new replacement a 40SE?

I wonder if while Dr. Frankenstein is at it, . . . swap the extra memory over.

I doubt that the SE's additional memory is a plug-in though, probably part

of a board structure, fragile and not easily added to the non-SE.

That may be why the SEs are limited run(s).

Norm

I don't think I could replace the gasket and call it good, the casing is damaged as well. I truly don't believe DeLorme will treat me in any way but proper, they've been truly awesome throughout my DeLorme ownership days! :) I trust them wholeheartedly, and I highly recommend them if you're looking for a GPS.

The internal is in perfect working order, therefore, I doubt DeLorme would replace anything but the casing and buttons, which is likely to be pretty inexpensive (I could be wrong, but I'm going by my own feelings as well as the thoughts of the DeLorme tech I talked with)...surely cheaper than replacing the whole unit!

I never intended to imply that DeLorme would treat you any way but proper. I was just saying that it is indeed cheaper for them to replace the whole unit rather than just replace the casing, keypad and anything else that might need to be replaced.

It is cheaper for them to do that because, just because we pay hundreds of $$ for a GPS does not mean it costs them near as much to build one. Therefore, it would probably cost them more to pay the tech to rebuild yours than just replace it.

I don't think they would do this maliciously.

Since your old friend seems to perform a bit better than the newer model, I would just tell them that it is important to you that they just replace the parts and not the whole thing.

Based on your experience and my need for a GPSr, I definitely intend to look for a used DeLorme.

Bruce.

Edited by brslk

If you really care about this particular unit, rather than assuming anything I would ask them very specifically whether they will promise faithfully to only repair the housing on the original unit and NOT mess with the internals and, most importantly, NOT replace it.

Replacement with refurbished units is the normal practice when electronics companies "repair" things out of warranty. Replacement with new units is the common practice if it's within warranty.

Repair and return of your unit is exceedingly rare in the electronics industry. As has been mentioned, it just costs too much. So, if you care, ask. Otherwise be prepared for the possibility of a replacement.

In any case, if you've got stuff on it that matters ... waypoints, tracks, caches, whatever ... make sure you've got a copy of them somewhere safe before you send it off.

...ken...